1,887 results
All reviews tuck box beautiful hotel garden room train station chapter house elemis toiletries junior suite leisure facilities birthday treat public areas lounge area main building no air con car park lovely touch standard room my mum
Reviewed 18 September 2018

We had hoped to stay in a smaller hotel closer to York Minster, but this elegant vestige of the Victorian era was a better option because of its proximity to the train station, its excellent included breakfast buffet and how easy it was to walk across the river and into the old city. Victorian, yes, but totally up-to-date and very comfortable. It has a huge and gorgeous reading room space but we had no time to linger there over tea and scones, unfortunately. Lack of laundry services on the weekend was a problem.

Room Tip: We were on the floor below the lobby, so no view. Upper-level rooms include a view of York Minster and the old city.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear KBKansas

We value your feedback as we strive to improve with each and every stay and it is great to read your appreciation of the Victorian listed building and our location.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 17 September 2018

A beautiful building and a comfortable room. However there was not air conditioning even though this is a supposed quality hotel. It was extremely hot in our room. The breakfast was reasonable but lacked finesse. A poor selection of fruit and bread. The service was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear dennis_anthony

Great to read you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Principal York.

We appreciate your feedback and will review your comments accordingly with the team.

Please come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

This is an impressive looking hotel but our first impressions were soon disappointed. Our taxi dropped us at the main entrance where there was no doorman to help us with our 2 large bags and carry on baggage. My husband had to carry all up a flight of stairs by himself. We only saw a doorman on duty once in our three nights there. Then they put us in a basement room for handicapped people - the bathroom looked like a hospital room with grab bars, floorlevel shower with some kind of mechanical lifting device, and call bells. When called to change rooms, we were told that these are the bigger rooms and since we were staying three days it would be nicer for us since the rooms upstairs are smaller. We accepted another ground floor room without the assistive devices, but felt we were second class during our entire stay. The place seemed poorly staffed. The location was excellent for walking all over the old City, and for being right next to the main rail station, we did not hear any noise from the trains. We were told by a staff member that they had just changed hands a couple days before we arrived, having been purchased by the IHG (Holiday Inn people). Hopefully they will do some major work, especially on staffing.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to put you in a ground floor room
1  Thank lljbhartman2002

Dear lljbhartman2002

Thank you for your feedback.

It is great that our location was ideal for your visit to sightseeing visit to York and you were not disturbed by any train noise.

I am saddened to read of your experience and offer my apologies that our Concierge team were not visible and you were not offered any assistance with your luggage. Please let me assure you that these are not our expected service standards.

The hotel has 8 adapted rooms as required for a hotel of this size however the main difference between an adapted room and a non-adapted room is the wet room facility, and I am pleased that you discussed your disappointment with our Guest Services team in order that they could provide an suitable alternative room.

I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

We were a little surprised that we had to pay £15 for parking in the hotel car park. I think that the hotel should make this a little clearer.

We had a long walk to our room from the reception area. Our room was 3*. the windows on looked a path of some sort, so we had to keep our curtains closed. Room basic, nothing special.

The lounge area was very nice and we had a few drinks and chilled out here late at night. The display items were also very interesting.

I think the rooms needs renovating, clearer parking charge notices.

2  Thank Lewismcfc

Dear Lewismcfc

Thank you for your feedback.

It is great to read you enjoyed our Garden Room for relaxing on an evening.

I am sorry that the location of your sidings room was not to your expectations, we do aim to be as transparent as possible with our online marketing and do advise that our Sidings rooms are located in an annexe building located a 5 minute walk from the public areas, and that car parking is chargeable.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to experience an alternative room category.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

The hotel is brilliantly located right next to the station and adjacent to the Roman Wall. I was in the annex, my room was big and spacious and had nice amenities. I loved the KitKat in the room as well as the fresh milk provided for tea.
The bathroom was nice, but there seemed to be a problem with the water, as I was showering once and the water stopped; after a minute or two it started again.
The air conditioning in the room was also problematic as it produced a sound and I had to switch it off to sleep.
The breakfast in the morning was good, the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, but I would not recommend room service. I phoned the main number and had to wait about 5 minutes before anyone answered, I ordered pasta but it was barely warm and tasted bland - I struggled to finish it.
Overall the staff were nice and it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Safina H
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Dear Safina H

We value your reivew and feedback.

I will reivew your comments accordingly and apologise for any inconvenience caused and please let me assure you that these are not our expected service standards.

Great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Warmest regards