“Nice breakfast”

Ranked #87 of 955 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Enjoyed a relaxing breakfast here before we headed to the Jorvik Centre. Given its location next to the Shambles, I was a little worried that it might be a bit of a tourist trap with more interest in getting our money than giving us a good breakfast. I had ham and eggs and my partner had scrambled eggs on toast. My dish was great and my partner also enjoyed hers. Overall with tea and coffee we paid just over £14 and I felt this was good value.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped here first thing on a Sunday morning. Everything was fresh, scones were delicious & homemade.
Try one of their cakes too!

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Visted here with my mam and sister early afternoon.
Great food and very friendly, pleasant staff.
High recommend amd we will be back.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Lovely little tea room in a very old building right on the Shambles. We popped in for breakfast after we had coffee in another tearoom a few yards away that didn't seem bothered about customers, and we were glad we did. The breakfast was £7 so an average tourist price, but toast was an extra £2.50 which was a bit steep - but when we paid, we weren't charged for it and so I'm not sure if it was included with the english breakfast order? Either way this should be clarified. You get one of everything - one egg, one rasher etc. All were lovely, the sausage was delicious and good quality. I could have eaten another one quite easily! The menus could do with re-printing as they are just one piece of A4 and a bit torn/ battered, and there was a stereo playing an odd choice of music (including the Halloween theme) so that was a bit weird, but the service was good.

It is a very small building, with only about seven tables in the whole place! The stairs are very steep and very narrow, so be warned.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The name Tea Room suggests the kind of place this is - a traditional style tea rooms with a great range of baking to accompany the teapot. Yet it is more besides as it serves a delicious range of casual meals including breakfast dishes and lunches. Overall it has a very pleasant atmosphere and was warming to the soul and body on a freezing cold February morning. Service was excellent and prices fair. I nearly didn't enter as it looked small from the outside but it is far more spacious than it looks once in there. I would definitely go back again.