All reviews long gallery york minster clarins toiletries treasurer's house steeped in history edwards room recommend grays copper bath furnished with antiques wonderful building walled garden york walls old city walls wedding venue modern bathroom public areas eggs benedict
Reviewed 23 August 2018

We couldn't have asked for a more quaint little hotel for our short stay in York on Monday. Every room we entered was so charming-from the sitting area, to the library, to the beautiful gardens outside...It was everything we were hoping it would be. I loved how so much of the hotel felt like we'd walked back into time, yet where it was important (the bathroom) it was modern and updated.
Jessie at reception was so wonderfully accommodating, especially considering we didn't realize the taxi only took cash and we were a few pence short. She jumped in and helped us. It was terribly embarrassing but she couldn't have been more helpful and sweet.
We came back to our room late in the evening around 21:00 and it did feel somewhat spooky, only because it was so quiet and there were candles throughout the common area just made me a little jumpy :-) as it is so different than how larger hotels 'feel'.
My only caution to the concerned traveler would be that the hotel does not have AC, be prepared for this if you struggle. It's not uncommon for York but you should be aware if you struggle with heat.
Pricey for sure-but I wanted the experience in staying in an Victorian style boutique hotel and I got it.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

I love Grays Court, the delicious food, the calm relaxed ambience, the house, the beautiful decor, the polite staff but today was a surprise. We ordered cream tea £9.95 - tea or coffee, 3 scones - 1 savoury with goats cheese, 1 fruit, 1 plain with clotted cream, apricot and raspberry jam as stated on the menu and online.
I noticed the table of 2 people next to us ordered the same - a cream tea with tea to drink.
Our scones were all plain scones and we were given clotted cream, greengage jam which was fine instead of apricot jame but we were also given ..... marmalade!!! Marmalade and cream? There was no explanation for the lack of different scone flavours or for the choice of marmalade.
The marmalade didn’t work with the scone and cream so we asked for raspberry jam.
Our teapot was for 2 people (exactly the same size pot as the table next to us - for 2 people) so we were required to order more tea as we needed more than 1.5 cups each.
I wouldn’t normally have written a disappointing review, because I do like visiting Grays Court and I will go again, but I felt sad about our choice of venue today because our bill was for nearly £48 not £30 as we expected. This was for the extra tea and for a rather large service charge.
I will go again because I am very fond of Grays Court and I’ve visited the restaurant/cafe regularly since it opened but perhaps I’ll check the food matches the menu next time.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2018

A very tiny hotel. The oldest continuously occupied house in the UK by their claim, at least, starting from 1070. Our GPS did not recognize it as being a hotel and so we told it was near the York Minster (see my review) and that was almost an understatement. You go through the old stone gate in the City Wall, down a narrow street then down a narrower street and finally down a very narrow alley, almost scraping the mirrors on both sides and through another stone gate that was no wider than that. There's a small parking lot for registered guests only. It holds about 10 cars. Everything is posh inside including a sitting room and a library-- very deluxe accommodations. There is also a back gate—the reason we chose this hotel-- that will let you up onto the walls of the city of York (see my review) but (helpful hint) it only opens about noon (you can see why), while the nearby “Monk Bar” stairs opens at 8AM and you can walk around the corner and come down the other side right near the Minster, which is a stone's throw from the hotel, all in that little corner. Hard to find but well worth it

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

The hotel building and gardens are beautiful, the staff efficient and friendly and the food ( limited menu at lunchtimes) was fresh, delicious and well presented.
Worth a visit whether you are local or visiting from afar to experience a quiet and pretty place in York , serving good food well.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Not sure where to start!! This lovely boutique hotel is set in the heart of the city literally a stones throw from the Minster. We could see this from our bedroom. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with the biggest smile and welcome you could wish for. Everyone single member of staff we came across from made us very welcome and made us feel very much at home. The hotel is steeped in history and is the oldest living house in Britain. Our room was comfortable, clean with period furniture as you would find in a house of this age but the bathroom was amazing with a great power shower and all other modern amenities you would expect with lovely Clarins toiletries. We loved the gardens during this hot period and found the bar most comfortable and welcome with the lights across the room. The hotel is in a lovely quiet courtyard. Breakfast was very good and more importantly was fresh and cooked to order. Bathrobes, slippers and for once a decent hairdryer unlike many I have used in other hotels which is nothing more than a travel dryer.

We cannot wait to come back and stay here again but hopefully in the winter where the fires will be lit. Highly recommend this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple