3 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Trip.comUS$161
Orbitz.comUS$161
TravelocityUS$161
eDreamsUS$170
Agoda.comUS$161
TripadvisorUS$161
All reviews warm cookie on arrival car park one way system monk bar large tv first floor per day city centre buffet style on site parking hotel is in a great location lovely touch few minutes walk biscuits minster shambles
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 June 2021

Well where to actually start with this hotel, I suppose I should have took notice of the other reviews. Please take this review seriously, I do not believe in condemning a hotel for a few mistakes BUT this management team need to make serious changes here. I booked this hotel to celebrate a belated 60th birthday last year, I was going to stay at another hotel but cancelled to stay here. We booked a deluxe room, when we checked in we were asked to book a slot for breakfast, which we did also leave a card to be charged, and given 2 key cards told where the room was and off we went. Where did we go for breakfast ? Which way was the town centre ? No info at all in the rooms not a leaflet nothing. The room was bland nothing what so ever deluxe about it a smack window that didn’t open an iron and a board a kettle a safe that’s it it was nothing like the pictures at all. At 11.15pm electric went off I rang down to reception and to give them there due Ash and the other chap on the desk were great so we had to move rooms we were given a family room which the two double beds were great. The floor mega mega creaks oh my god never heard anything like it anyway the tap dripped most of the night and the traffic so loud anyway we never slept most of the night. I went to see the duty manager next morning she was very apologetic and said my bill will be compensated for. The next morning we went to breakfast 9.20pm.the queue was fairly long but we queued got our breakfast served by the staff was ok nothing to write home about. We have been here 5 days and no housekeeping has been even though I was told Twice it would be. I happened to see the cleaner and was able to empty the bins myself! She gladly gave us fresh towels that was it. Oh and I was given 2 loo rolls to carry from reception not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. Would I stop here again no I wouldn’t would I recommend it no I wouldn’t the staff seem nice enough, but nice isn’t enough it’s shambolic to say the least and the competition is strong they need to improve before it goes to the wall and I for 1 won’t be sorry but only for the staff who try .

Room tip: Don’t stay here
Date of stay: June 2021
Martin Bradnam, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2021

Dear woodbank66,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

I am sure you can appreciate the impact the epidemic has had on our industry, and the fact that whilst hotels have re-opened, our offering and approaches have changed due to many factors, including epidemic legislation and guidance, our COVID risk assessment, reduced staffing levels, and reduced service from our own suppliers, reacting to the epidemic and reopening after closure.

I appreciate and understand your comments relating to literature in the room. As part of our cleanstay approach, we have removed as much literature around the building, and in the bedrooms as possible. In our Deluxe rooms, we have reduced the supplement priced from £25.00 to £10.00, but we have reduced the amenity items we place in these rooms.

I was pleased to hear of the support and service received by Ash, and Alex, and will certainly pass this on for you, and I am sorry the electric outage resulted in a room move during the night.

Thank you for your feedback about the alternative room you stayed in. I was sorry that you were disturbed by the noise you experienced, but glad you reported it during your stay, and the Duty Manager reacted to this.

I appreciate your comments relating to breakfast. 9.20am is during our peak breakfast time, which of course will be busy. We display a traffic light system around the hotel to encourage guests to choose a different time slot. We do have to limit the number of guests in the dining room at different times, to maintain social distancing, and in line with our COVID risk assessment. I am sure you can appreciate we have had to reduce down our breakfast choice at this moment in time.

As part of cleanstay, we try to not enter a guests personal space. However, where guests request a room clean, we can facilitate this. Out housekeeping department is outsourced. I am sorry there was a misunderstanding and your room was not serviced as you expected.

Woodbank66, I appreciate your feedback. The hospitality sector is recovering from a major health epidemic that closed many hotels. I speak to many of my colleagues, and other General Managers around the city. We are all working hard with our teams under extenuating circumstances, to rebuild and plan the recovery of our properties. I take on board your feedback, and note your expectations.

Thank you for your feedback which is always important, as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. I truly appreciate the time and effort taken to communicate your points to us.

Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

The hotel’s food was expensive for a small amount. Breakfast was poorly served with a long buffet que. Once finally served the the bacon was undercooked, sausage was raw and toast cold. The milk urn ran out of milk and was not filled up for 45 minutes. After watching the staff it became obvious that they weren’t coping with the influx of guests, I suspect that this is because they weren’t trained to cope with the COVID restrictions. Such a shame to get the simple basics wrong because the room was clean and tidy and well presented

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear mattb11023,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your feedback relating to breakfast. This is an area we have put a lot of time and effort into, however is also a key pressure point. I take your comments on board, and will work with the team to address these points.

I was glad to read you found your room clean, tidy and well presented.

Reviewed 6 June 2021

Whilst a nice distance to the city centre the rooms were basic, poor facilities and very noisy location with poor sound proofing. On an intersection near a hospital if you want blues and twos all night! Rooms small for a family, Beds were not particularly comfortable for Hilton. Parking expensive, food mediocre. Better options exist

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear SJW08UK,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments relating to the location of your bedroom. As a large site, we have many rooms that are located within the site. If you are sensitive to noise, please do let us know and we will assist to allocate the correct room to meet your needs. We are a central city centre location.

Thank you for your comments regarding parking. The majority of car parks within the city centre are provided by the local council, on set tarriff's. Whilst onsite car parking is charged at £20.00 - this is an overnight charge, which can work out more competitive dependent on the length of time on site. There are park and ride options, which is York Councils policy to encourage visitors to use.

I understand and appreciate your feedback regarding our food offering. This is a temporary offering until our new Head Chef starts in July 2021.

Reviewed 6 June 2021

Firstly we selected the double tree hotel in york as the there was a gym. When we arrived we were told the gym was closed until the end of June. This was without any disclosure on the website or during the booking process. Following this we were taken to our room which felt like the basement of the hotel. We were on the bottom floor, with our window next to a main road resulting in no privacy. The bathroom was of poor quality as well. We ordered room service consisting of drinks and food. We were told they would arrive in 30 minutes. Both arrived after an hour which is not only disappointing itself but the drinks should have been delivered within 10 minutes of order. The food was of poor quality and tasted like it had been reheated in the microwave. The cost of this was far more than warranted for the quality of the meal. In addition I have also been debited for the room as well as the room survive, and have now been debited the room service fee once again. Why this is I do not know. This was not the service I was expecting from a reputable company like Hilton double tree. I was more than disappointed to say the least. I will not be staying in a Hilton double tree again, nor recommending it to friends and or family. Regard.

Date of stay: May 2021
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Martin Bradnam, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2021

Dear AlexOuzo,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate the point you made regarding our Gym closure. Having reviewed all our facilities, we were concerned about deep cleaning and sanitising between guests. As the gym facility is an unmanned facility, I took the decision to leave the gym closed at this stage.

Having reviewed your TripAdvisor profile name against reservations, I was under the impression that you stayed in room 113, on the first floor of the hotel. This room is located within the site, overlooking the rear car park of the hotel. I am sorry that your perception was that this room was of low quality. It is difficult for me to feedback further here - as I feel the room is more than reasonable, however I do not have any examples or specifics of why you were say this is low quality.

Thank you for your feedback relating to room service. It is our usual practice to deliver one order at the same time. With all service focused on room and table service as per the current government guidelines, this is putting the F&B team under increasing pressure. I am pleased that you were accurately provided with a delivery time, that was met, which is our brand standard.

I was sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the room service food. It is important that this is raised at the time, to enable us to respond to your dissatisfaction, try and make it right and resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. It is exceptionally difficult to address this after your stay. I have briefly looked into your accounting query - and believe this would have been a pre-authorisation. This looks like this has since been released.

Should you wish to pick up any of the points you have raised with me directly, I would ask you to reach out to me by e-mail on Martin.Bradnam@Hilton.com, I am happy to look into these matters further, or assist you to resolve any matters you do not feel have been addressed.

Reviewed 2 June 2021 via mobile

Good central location. no bath towels in room,,,requested twice but none available. Very limited parking and extremely expensive. Good breakfast and covid safe.

don't want to write any more but since it's 200 min characters I will have to ramble on

Room tip: poor expensive parking...bring you own towels
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Sandra S,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

I am sure you can understand the impact the epidemic has had on our industry, and the fact that whilst hotels have re-opened, our offering and approaches have changed due to many factors, including epidemic legislation and guidance, our COVID risk assessment, reduced staffing levels, and reduced service from our own suppliers, reacting to the epidemic and reopening after closure.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding location, breakfast and COVID safe systems. We are consistently reviewing and enhancing these facilities and offerings where possible.

I appreciate your comments relating to car parking, and bath towels. We are able to offer 23 car parking spaces on site. As you can imaging, demand for spaces is high. As this is city centre parking, our onsite parking is priced comparatively similar to offsite. There are two local car parks located within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. The councils approach is to actively promote parking at the park and rides - which are out of the city centre, and encourage guests to catch a bus into the city centre.

I understand your feedback regarding towels. Our linen deliveries have been arriving later and later in the day. During your stay, and due to several short deliveries made by the linen company, we were faced with the decision whether to allow customers into bedrooms without towels, or whether to not. We made the decision to put towels in the room when the delivery arrived later. Unfortunately, beyond our control on this day, the delivery did not arrive to site until early evening (20.30hrs). We have since escalated this issue within the linen company, who have also reviewed our par stock on site. I sincerely apologise this impacted your stay at the hotel.