1,473 results
All reviews ivy restaurant premier room morning room car park lovely hotel drawing room city centre the ground floor fresh milk in the fridge four poster wedding party yorkshire breakfast eggs benedict small room york minster ten minute walk two night stay
Reviewed 18 August 2016

We recently had our wedding reception at The Grange and it was absolutely fantastic. Suzanne was brilliant from start to finish, always replying to e-mails quickly and putting my mind at rest with any concerns I had.Nothing ever seemed too much trouble for her which was brilliant.

One of the main reasons we booked The Grange was for the amazing food, it is absolutely incredible. Most of the guests at our wedding commented that the food was the best they had ever had at a wedding reception. In-between making our booking and the day itself we ate there a few times and the food is consistently excellent (particularly the beef wellington!)

The hotel itself and the room we stayed in (Four Poster) are a little dated. The Brasserie downstairs has recently been refurbished and is lovely and modern and it makes the rest of the hotel look a little run down in comparison, but I know they are still doing work there so that may change in the future!

Whilst Suzanne was absolutely fantastic the staff working on reception the few times we visited in the run up to our wedding didn't really seem to know what was going on, with one of them telling me they didn't have anything booked in for our wedding date about two weeks before! The morning after our wedding we were asking for some help with finding items we needed to collect and take home, and the woman working on reception seemed like everything was a lot of trouble and made us almost feel embarrassed for asking her anything at all!

The car park is a nightmare, it's tiny and personally I think it would be much better suited to being converted into a courtyard instead of a small car park as the one thing the hotel is missing is any sort of garden/grounds. There is plenty of parking nearby which you do need to pay for, but I think that is much better than having your car blocked in and having to wait 15/20 minutes to exit the car park which happened to us on more than one occasion we visited!

The very few minor niggles aside it is a lovely hotel and we were incredibly well looked after, as were all of our guests at our wedding. The restaurant serves some of the best food I have had the pleasure of eating in York and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel7896

Dear Rachel7896

Many thanks for your kind comments. Very glad all went well - it was our pleasure!

I'm sorry for the various niggles and I will look into them.

Wishing you the very best for the future!

Reviewed 18 August 2016

Although on arrival the entrance to this hotel is very unassuming my room was clean and comfortable. There were areas where it looked a bit tired but there was hospitality tray and fridge with complimentary water and milk which was welcomed. I had separate shower and a very large bath with television. Ample very hot water 24/7 which flowed unusually fast so do not leave unattended! Breakfast was ok but I did not sample the evening meal. There were plenty of lounge areas but no garden. My one moan is when checking in it would be nice if I had been asked if I needed help with my luggage or have the lift pointed out to me. Also a short introduction on facilities available, where meals are taken, lounges etc. is helpful. I just got told to go up the stairs and follow the numbers which given the design of the house was harder than you would expect with corridors and stairs everywhere. To me it is an important part of the service to be as helpful as possible to your guests, along with the offer to help or give advise should I require it. There was no information folder in the room either. This hotel is a walkable distance from the city centre and 20 mins from the train station.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy186220

Dear Judy186220

Thank you for your comments.

I am disappointed you were not offered assistance with your luggage and shall indeed take this up with my Reception team. Guest directories can however be found in the desk drawer.

I trust you enjoyed your time in our great city and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed here on a Sunday night through a Secret Escapes deal, one night including 3 course set menu and breakfast.

Firstly overall this is a nice hotel perfectly situated exactly (if not less) as described - just 10 minute walk to the very centre of York. The surroundings are lovely. This is a nice little part of the World.

We got a parking space but with just maybe 10 spaces we think we were lucky. We did arrive a couple of hours before check in though.

The hotels really tastefully decorated, a mix of old and new, grand and modern. Our room was small but perfectly formed, very very warm though despite leaving our sash window open (loud) and the fan on (louder) so much that unfortunately we didn't get a great nights sleep. Can't blame the hotel for the weather - it was a nice warm night - and appreciate is a listed build so no air con but seriously something else needs to be done, it was almost unbearable.

Restaurant is lovely, modern and the food is really good. Breakfast especially. Service is so quick though I nearly missed it. Maybe 5 words spoken the whole of dinner? 'Are you ready to order?'

Breakfast similar except for a nice older guy who chatted for a second but then rushed off.

Now with the risk of sounding like having no mates and needing the staff to notice us, we just felt like we were staying in a big empty house ..

Here's the thing...Check in was quick, on asking how to get into York we were handed a pamphlet...not a direction, not a try this, not a peep, just a piece of paper and a smile..first time to York and that's the issue, throughout our stay we maybe saw three members of staff, for less that a few minutes each, and we ate twice! It was almost deserted and we both felt lacked any human touch which, as a small non chain hotel we were expecting.

This isn't the cheapest hotel in York, but it's 4* and it's not a chain, if you welcome your guests we'll want to come back because we'll remember the service, the friendliness, the warmth. Instead we'll remember a nice empty house in a nice place that's a bit too warm at night.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank easterchick

Dear Easterchick

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry you found the hotel a tad soulless. I am enormously proud of the team and the individual service we offer and quite at a loss to explain why your experience was markedly different. Your comments however do serve as a timely reminder that we may not get it right 100% of the time, but this should not stop us from trying!

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Room was fabulous, all you could want. very clean and tidy, the other rooms in the hotel were excellent too.

the location was second to none - on the main road into York, leaving just a 5 minute walk into central York [which is absolutely stunning].

It had all the amenities needed, and with York [and its 365 pubs/bars/eateries] just moments away, we had a great time.

we had the summer saver room/dinner/brekkie for £125, which was fabulous value for money. there was a wedding on in the evening, so we had private dining in the reading room which was a lovely experience!

The staff are on the whole excellent, particularly the German front of house in the restaurant and the manager was very accommodating too. We will return!

Room Tip: no preference.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 17 August 2016

Dear Dovastator

Many thanks for your kind review - very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 August 2016

If ok is your benchmark this place will satisfy your needs.
I only stayed on a tremendous value room rate, no breakfast, no meals so cannot comment on those aspects.
No parking available but didn't bother me as plenty on street.
The room I was allocated was on the second floor, the slowest lift I have ever encountered took me there.
smallish room but had everything one would need.
Clean, comfortable and as I say OK.
It always baffles me why hotels don't seem to have woken up to the fact that people now want to charge lots of electrical stuff, and plugs always seem to be behind beds, under dressing tables etc.
Would I stay again, totally dependent on price, at the value price I paid, definitely, but if it was same price as lots of others probably try somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 15 August 2016

Dear Arthurh

Thank you for your comments. We do however aim better than OK regardless of the rate you pay.

Our vertical platform lifts may not be the fastest, but they are primarily intended for our guests with impaired mobility, including wheelchair users, and this does affect their maximum permitted speed.

I do understand your comments about plug sockets. As we redecorate each room, we are relocating them and adding USB ports - we're doing our best to keep up with the times!

I trust you enjoyed your time in York and we hope tp welcome you back on day.