“Good value and service ”
Review of Osbaldwick Chinese

Osbaldwick Chinese
Ranked #631 of 912 Restaurants in York
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

We live very close by so get a takeaway from here every few months. Always great service, lovely food (never had a bad meal), decent price and such great service - sometimes they even drop it at our door when it’s ready. Would recommend!

Date of visit: March 2021
1  Thank Ruth P
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed 22 January 2021 via mobile

My husband wrote a slightly negative facebook review after we were overcharged twice and given the wrong order once. He got loads of messages from the owner accusing him of been from Edinburgh and basically raising a vendetta against her business. Really paranoid and very odd. When you have a business you have to be able to take feedback constructively without feeling it’s a larger conspiracy theory.
When I commented saying we have lived in Osbaldwick since Sept 19 I was told I wasn’t a real customer and have made up my visit. I think the owner has some problems and cannot take any complaint or criticism as if you look at her comments she literally slams customers and accuses everyone of working for the Chinese mafia, spying on her business.

On the plus side, the food wasn’t bad!

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank Holl1985
Ada L, Owner at Osbaldwick Chinese, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Hiya Hollie , thank you for your private message just now. And I have asked the counter straightaway . He admitted that the first time, he did overcharged you two meals and then he apologised and specially drove to your house and gave you back the money straightaway after you rang. Second time , you did not calculate the 10p per item price increase in the new year . He explained that to you too in shop. And he has no idea on the third time. Plus we clearly only add 50p per each vegetable item as written in the menu . Forexample extra two vegetables on top a mushroom foo yung to make it as a mixed vegetables foo yung , it is £1 more than mushroom foo yung. So we are confused on your £1 charge for each vegetable. Although in people mind , vegetables are cheaper than meat, please consider the labour in preparing it, keeping it ready for customer order, and the wastage of it. Vegetables only good if fresh so wastage is higher than meat. Thus you can see that in most modern restaurants, they treat vegetables price same as meat or even higher. Please consider this too when thinking about the pricing . Because your Facebook message does not allow me to reply there . So I have to reply here. In this case , the first order the counter already admit his fault , apologised and drove to your house to give you back money . Second time , it is the price increase that you did not notice . And third time, we have no clue . Also as you already can see that we are small run business, we have no privilege from food supplier when it come to food delivery. We need to go out and buy the stock from everywhere . It is not as easy as you think . Imagine you and your husband has to prepared meals for 100 people eating and they all want it between 6:30pm and 8pm. Things need to be cooked, fresh and ready nearly on time . That’s why I see vegetables class the same as meat . And charge . Hope you can understand. We have a policy in place . If the customer’s request and complain are reasonable , we will do all we can to please them. For example a gentleman who came yesterday order a meal, and he forgot to order a boiled rice with the black bean beef. He drove back to shop and asked me, “Ada, I don’t know if I have forgotten to order it or you missed it to write the boiled rice down” . I told him that , as we doubled checked the order and obviously he has forgotten to order. However as an experienced takeaway person , I did not ask again that he may need a rice with the dish. Then I just gave him the rice FREE. As long as the request is reasonable and according to policy.

Now, because you have messaged and describe it in details . Then I can separate your case from the other case . Thank you. Sorry for confused you as the other bad customer

Reviewed 21 September 2020 via mobile

Awful food and service. The duck was rubbery and fatty not crispy. The crispy shredded beef was even worse, in some oily sauce and with chewy beef! Service was disgraceful told could have a refund but then changed their mind when we brought most of it back because we had tried it. Don’t waste your money

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank jbsmith13
5adal, Owner at Osbaldwick Chinese, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2020

We will not refund to people who brought in less than half of the meals even you threaten us with bad review. End.

Reviewed 20 August 2020

We had our second takeaway delivered yesterday from Osbaldwick Chinese and it was excellent. The spicy curry was cooked to the level of spice we asked for and the chips were piping hot and crispy. Fried rice incredibly fresh and with plenty of tender chicken. We won't use any other takeaway - wish we'd discovered these years ago.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 17 May 2020 via mobile

The most bizarre sweet chilli crispy beef We have ever seen which was in clear lumpy fishy tasting jelly and barely resembled beef at all. The prawn crackers had zero flavour a bit like paper. Soggy chips. The fried rice was also tasteless. It was inedible so had to be thrown away. Such a shame as we were looking forward to it and thought we would try local and had followed the reviews.

Date of visit: May 2020
3  Thank Tralala1970
5adal, Owner at Osbaldwick Chinese, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2020

The crispy sweet chilli beef is beef hand cut into long stripes and deep fried till crispy. It is in the sauce so by the time you eat it at home, It is obviously not that “crispy” . I think most people understand this . Your so called “fishy” taste is the lemongrass or coriander . If you buy the supermarket or cheap sweet chilli sauce, they rarely give you lemon grass. So you may just mistaken as “fishy”. Just in case you mislead my customer, there is no fish in the sauce. Your “jelly” sauce is our special xantham gum thicken sauce specially made for the village elderlies who have diabetes here. We use this method to do our sweet and sour sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lemon sauce, all reduced starch and sugar. By using the modern xantham gum, the sauce is slightly resemble “jelly” but it is never lumpy jelly. We have many people having it because this style of cooking can reduce starch glucose. Also fried rice have salt and soya sauce . Prawn crackers are prawn crackers . How can they have no taste ? Oh! Maybe because we use fresh oil instead of dark dirty oil to fry the crackers . Sorry about that white clean prawn crackers . Or maybe we use lesser MSG than other Chinese . If you want pieces of beef like soft beef , then just ask us to use normal beef instead of “crispy beef” which is sometime done in deep fry stripes . Many thanks and hope this can answer your queries .