“Tight Squeeze”

Ranked #443 of 25,453 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$26 - US$52
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Fresh, sustainable, British day-boat seafood, served on small plates. A concise exciting wine list all available by glass & bottle. Ska and reggae soundtrack. Buzzy vibrant seafood joint with chefs serving customers directly over the bar in the compact open kitchen. Expect a showcase of the best seafood from British shores, a daily changing menu and plenty of cooking theatre!
Reviewed 24 August 2018

The tight squeeze was partly the snug seating in the rear restaurant (rather than barstool) seating, but mostly it was my trousers at the end of an excellent dinner. My friend Julie and I like to try out new places, and seafood is often our pick. We were not disappointed. Half a dozen excellent oysters each to start, 3 sweet Jersey, and 3 plump Mersea (or was it the other way round ?), then we went for the (not so !) small plates; hake (generous and perfectly cooked), monk fish tails & separately monk fish cheeks (great textures and taste), ample sweet herrings on toast, and squid in (slightly greasy) batter. Oh, and skinny fries and salad on the side. That sounds a lot, but it would have been fine, I promise, if it wasn't for the unordered bowl of mussels that arrived half way through. The waiter claimed I had ordered it, but perhaps he then checked, because it wasn't on the bill when we settled up. A reasonable bottle of rose washed it all down well enough (you gets what you pays for, it was under £30), and we squeezed happily out of our seats and home.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

Great fish restaurant with a good selection of British sourced fish fishes. Small venue in a nice, quiet location just North of Oxford St with friendly staff and good vibe.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

My daughter and I went for lunch today and the seafood was fabulous. A good range fish and shellfish and served up in wonderful dishes. We had the tempura oysters, clams and mussels, and the langostines in lobster and leek veloute was quite something. Service also good and all was a great experience.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

We were off to yet another West End show, and wanted to have a pre theatre meal, found this place by accident and decided to give it a try, anything to do with Seafood and I'm a sucker, but didn't think there would be anything like fresh, as in jumping out of the ocean onto your plate, in the heart of London. How wrong was I. Sitting up on a bar seat experienced a great seafood meal, really really fresh starting off with Tempora Oysters, and my they they delicious, diet gone to pot however, as I then decided on a Crab rarebit, I loved it but don't think my weighing scales did. But it was worth every kilo!

1  Thank Bernice D
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Shame there was no express/lunch menu so we had to rely on the a la carte instead - which makes it more expensive even just for one course.

But the food was excellent and the staff very nice and friendly even though it was a boiling hot day.

Great food - not enormous portions but enough to fill.