“Beautiful stay”
other travellers have booked this property
The living room
The living room and dining table The dining table ready for breakfast
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The living room
The living room and dining table
The dining table ready for breakfast
The double bedroom in the eaves
The kitchen - oven, hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine
High quality kitchen equipment
Shiny surfaces in the kitchen
Guide books for your use during your stay
' A hidden Gem!'  Our Visitors Book
The shower-room
Fluffy white towels and complimentary soaps
The Stables from the garden path
The front door of the Stables - flowers round you door
Your private, sheltered sitting area outside your door
The rear of the Old Bakery
Deli-on-the -Green - friendly food shop and cafe
Fruit and vegetables can be bought at Deli-om-the-Green
Food supplied by The Larder, a lovely shop and cafe on The Green
Cakes at Deli-on-the-Green
The Garden in June - view towards the Stables
Historic Old Bakery - Mr and Mrs Chalkley the bakers with their delivery cart
The Old Bakery - The Stables is located in the walled garden within independent street access
The Green, Winchmore Hill - great shops, cafes, restaurants and pub
Grovelands Park - just 5 minutes walk from The Stables
The view from your front door towards The Old Bakery
Cobbled pathway to the Stables
The Garden - clematis and geraniums in May
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Zuki2013
Alberton, South Africa
“Beautiful stay”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 for a stay in November 2013

My stay at the Stables for a week was cosy and warm. It is a comfortable walking distance from the Winchmore station and restaurants with the house having all the amenities you require. The bedroom upstairs needs a bit of getting used to especially if you are tall but everything was user-friendly with your own private entrance. Thank you for the free wifi and great hospitality.

5 Jan 2014
Thanks for staying with us. The bedroom in the eaves of the Stables does indeed require some "ducking" if you are a 6-foot plus person! But it makes up for this by being (so our guests frequently report) romantic and cosy. Of course the horses this building was designed for originally didn't get to go upstairs.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013 for a stay in October 2013

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
10 Dec 2013
We are so glad that these guests enjoyed their second stay in The Stables. We have, indeed, up-graded the shower-room since their previous stay. We try to make improvements each year, and to ensure that everything in the apartment stays in top condition. I like fresh flowers in my home and so it is a pleasure to offer the same to arriving guests, some of whom have been travelling for many hours to get here.
Mamawhite...
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“I want to go back!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 for a stay in July 2013

The Stables at the Old Bakery was a lovely loft apartment. The walk from the gate through the garden to the door of the apartment was beautiful. There were many flowering perrenials and a small pond. My daughter and I enjoyed greeting the guinea pigs and looking for the tortoise. The apartment was well furnished and the kitchen had everything we needed to make meals. The bed was comfortable. The whole apartment was spotlessly clean. The apartment is about a 100 meters from the Winchmore Hill Train Station that goes to Moorgate or connects to the Picadilly Underground at Finsbury Park Station. I am hoping to return and stay at the Old Bakery again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Winchmore HIll is a peaceful and charming northern suburb of London. It made leaving the city central in the evening feel like coming home.
Liked least: On Sundays, travel was sometimes complicated as various train and underground services were disrupted due to improvements being made. One can still get around but it means planning ahead.
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Ginnielee...
Tampa, Florida
“Quanit Perfection!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

My school friend and I stayed at The Stables in April 2013 - it was everything I wanted and more! Winchmore Hill is a great location, I spent the first three days exploring the area. Shops, parks, restaurants - all brilliant and within walking distance. Train station is literally two minute's walk and you'll be in London in about 20 mins! I loved the cottage so much, I really was sad to leave and can't wait to visit again. As an American, I will note that the shower is smaller than we are used to, but it wasn't an issue. I am so happy that I found The Stables - I felt really like I was living like an Englishwoman while I was there. Nina and Bruce are very nice and helpful.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the homey feeling.
Liked least: Loved everything!
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
19 May 2013
I am glad that this visitor had fun exploring Winchmore Hill, as well as enjoying the varied delights of central London. It is a lovely area and very friendly. Londoners like to live in Winchmore Hill because it combines easy access to central London's workplaces, theatres, museums, major department stores etc. with a pleasant environment, good local cafes and interesting small shops.
kmlx2
Northampton, Massachusetts
“A bitter disappointment”
Reviewed 2 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013
people found this review helpful

I was so looking forward to my stay with my 17 year-old daughter after looking at the beautiful pictures and reading the awesome reviews of the place, but we found it to be a bitter disappointment. Upon arrival for our first trip to Europe, after a long journey from Boston, the local taxi driver could not find the place because we were not provided the full address. When we shared our troubles with finding the place, Nina became defensive and angry and she insisted that she had given the proper directions, but we gave the driver the actual page we had. Then, my poor daughter made an innocent inquiry for sheets for the couch, and Nina just went off on her, reciting how her listing made very clear that the place was for just two people (which we were), and that all the bedding was there. She has since written (and I quote her directly) "I do not think the couch is an appropriate piece of furniture for sleeping on" and "I would be within my legal rights to away any guest who does not plan to use the accommodation in accordance the advertised offer. " As she perseverated over the use of the couch, I experienced that awful sinking feeling that I had made a huge mistake in booking the place. It was clear to me, then, that I would not feel like the place was really the "home-from-home" that is advertised. I wonder whether she would think even short naps would be appropriately taken on that couch! Then, as we tried to settle in to the place, we found long and short curly hairs in the bedding and were disgusted by this. Also, there is no clothes dryer as was advertised in the listing we answered.

Concerning the location, the place is not so far north, but if you are going to visit London at all, I would recommend staying right in the city. Although you may pay more for the accommodations, you will save time and money in travel costs. We stayed on the South Bank when we returned to England after traveling to other countries and found this to be true. We also found the three other places we stayed during our European vacation so much more warm and welcoming than The Stables. The only reason we are giving the place two stars instead of one is because the place itself is charming. Unfortunately, that charm and our stay were ruined by Nina's hostile attitude.

Liked best: Winchmore Hill and the place itself was charming
Liked least: The lack of hospitality and welcome
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
11 May 2013
I’m obviously sad that this guest did not enjoy her stay in The Stables. Anyone reading reviews by other customers will see that they have been delighted both with The Stables and with the effort we make to ensure guests enjoy their stay. Why then this one-off negative review?

I think their discontent stemmed from the fact that they booked accommodation that did not match their requirement for two separate beds, if not separate bedrooms. Our other apartment, Chalkley’s, does offer this and was available when they booked. Being larger, it has a higher rent than The Stables but is also offered in a one- bedroom (twin bedded) format at a discount.

Comprehensive directions from their arrival airport were sent by email, but perhaps they left these behind.

As regards cleanliness, there were no hairs in the bedding on their arrival. In our recent annual Quality in Tourism inspection (March 2013), our apartments were again awarded 9 marks out of 10 for cleanliness on the demanding scale applicable to 4* rated properties.
The guest did not make any complaint about the bed-linen during her 4-night stay. If I found dirty bed-linen in a holiday apartment I would object immediately.

I do not recognise the reviewer’s description of what happened when they arrived. Immediately on arrival, the reviewer’s daughter requested an extra set of bedding so that she could sleep on the settee in the lounge. The Stables is advertised as a one bedroom apartment with a double bed and NO sofa bed. I tried to explain that my 4* rating would be lost if I allowed a small settee to be used as a bed and that, therefore, I do not keep, or supply, bedding for it. (However, I do provide a throw on the two-seater sofa in case a guest wants to curl up for a nap during the day.) The reviewer’s daughter then asked for an extra duvet for the double bed (this was in addition to the 10.5 tog, winter-weight double duvet on the bed) because, she said, she suffered from cold hands. I provided this.

After their departure, I found a note written in a very unpleasant tone. The reviewer’s daughter stated that she had, indeed, slept on the sofa, adding “Ha Ha!”. (I believe she must have taken the cushions off the sofa and laid them on the floor.) She also claimed, in quite offensive terms, that I had not washed the bed-linen between guests. This was not the case; I take a pride in providing high-quality, immaculately clean bed-linen (see details below).

In subsequent email correspondence the reviewer expressed the opinion that renting the apartment gave them the right to use it in whatever way they wished. The remark of mine she quoted was in response to this.

Details of our laundry methods and standard of cleanliness: All our bed-linen is 400-thread Egyptian cotton and is laundered at 60 degrees on a 3-hour wash cycle. It is then ironed by me, using a hand-held steam-iron. So, I am always in a position to check that bed-linen is scrupulously clean.

Details of directions supplied: We email each guest directions from whichever airport or station they are arriving at to our front door. The directions includes our postal address, postcode and telephone number at both the top and bottom of the page. It also has a verbal description of our location, which we suggest the guest reads to a taxi driver if he is not familiar with the house.

Other facilities: We do NOT list a clothes-dryer, only a washing machine. We do provide a drying rack, and there is a laundrette with very efficient dryers just around the corner. My husband gave the guest coins for this.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing