Park International Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$126
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$146
US$125
Priceline
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe south kensington tube stopnational history museumsuperb locationstayed for one nightfull englishvictoria
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at The Gainsborough! It was a bit tricky to find as it doesn’t have the typical hotel look, but is part of a block of row houses. The room was absolutely adequate with a very comfy bed and good linens. The breakfast buffet was good, staff were consistently helpful, particularly Nadia who worked at the front desk during the day. The location was excellent with easy access to the tube, trains and the hop on hop off bus.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Last night I stayed at The Gainsborough and am staying tonight too. It's in a very pleasant locale
Close to shops bars and cafes. The decor is faded English Grandeur with quite a few reproductions of landed gentry decorating the walls. There is a small bar in one corner with some pleasant seating,empty most of the time.The bedroom isn't a bad size with a canopy over the bed and very large Georgian windows there is a kettle and coffee and tea packets
But buy your own water because there is none in the hotel.
Now to the nitty gritty......
What is it about London hotels that they give their guests mattresses that are so old the coils of the springs poke through. The receptionist here even told me all the beds are old anyway I got them to bring me another comforter so I slept on that and will again tonight to try and cushion my legs and ribs from the metal.
I did try at one point to lie between the two protruding springs as there was a gap of 18 inches between them but as I'm not a mountain climber I found it difficult to keep my balance on the ledge of my very own matterhorn and woke up with a start each time.
Please London hotels can't you treat your guests with the respect they deserve or maybe the owners should be forced to sleep on their own mattresses.
The staff here are pleasant and courteous but don't expect too comfortable a nights sleep but perhaps you will forget the bruising when you visit the beautiful museums nearby.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We booked a double room for 2 nights. On arrival the receptionist was polite but seemed to struggle . When we got to our room we found we had been given a twin instead. We returned to the reception to basically be told it’s tough and the other rooms are fully booked. After a long debate we were put in a family room. Terrible. It was small.. carpets stained.. broken tiles in the bathroom.. doors on the corridor to other rooms were broken... it’s was dingy... soul destroying.. at nearly 200 pound per nite I would expect a bit more. So that same day my partner booked us into another hotel..the baglioni in Hyde park.. more expensive yes but pure luxury.. one nite in the Gainsborough was enough for anyone

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank womanhead
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Great location close to South Kensington tube station and stone's throw from the museums.
Tasteful and stylish reception area, with a warm welcome.
Room was fine, but could do with a bit of refurbishment. Just felt a bit shabby and grubby - very worn - especially the bathroom which was especially shabby and in need of some TLC. And the vacuum cleaner shouldn't be left in the corridor in my humble opinon!
Can't quite get used to paying £100+ for a fairly basic hotel room for one, but I guess that's London prices for you!
Didn't have the hotel breakfast, but there are plenty of basic well-priced breakfast options around South Kensington tube station.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2017

Just 2 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station. First impressions very nice, typical building you find in the Kensington area. Oldy worldly reception area and very welcoming staff.

We had a family room, consisting of a small wall dividing the double bed and the twin beds. We had room 410. The linen on the bed along with the towels were clean.
The room however needs a make over the bathroom has a bath and jacuzzi bath, but the jacuzzi jets looked filthy, the shower had poor pressure.
The carpets, the walls, furniture need re done. It isn’t the cleanest room we have stayed in.
But as we were attending the IAAF world championships we really only needed to sleep in it, thank fully! and at £145.00 per night it wasn’t cheap.

I mentioned whilst we checked out about the shower. But this room desperately needs a massive makeover and clean up.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family