“Do not visit”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: A great pub near St Paul's Cathedral, the oddly-named Shaws Booksellers combines the understated charm of a trusted local with a thriving City Centre location. Expect freshly-prepared, seasonal pub food, traditional real ale and a relaxing respite from the city. Shaws Booksellers is a gastro pub with character in the heart of London's financial district. Its location makes it handy for those working in the area, or, with its close proximity to St Pauls Catherdral, the Tate Modern, the Millenium Bridge and the Museum of London, a great stop off or evening out for visitors wanting to try some quality British pub food. The pub itself is situated in a converted paper merchant's warehouse with a split level interior giving it a cosy feel. Food is served between 12 pm - 3 pm and 5 pm - 9 pm Monday to Friday and consists of some British classics and some continental European dishes.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

They did not serve my colleague who was over 18 even when she proved her age. I was in Shaws Booksellers with colleagues and they did not serve one of my colleagues. Their attitude was awful and they laughed when she proved how old she was. Bad service and bad attitude from the manager. We will not be visiting again and will tell everyone at the company to pick another pub in the area, which there are many.

Sidonie R, General Manager at Shaws Booksellers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that you feel this way, but the reason this happened is due to the fact that she could not produce any ID at all, so therefore we could not serve her. It is our duty as Licence Holders. If she had, then it would make no sense on a basic level, not to have served her. We after all a business.
Once we have asked the question, we cannot retract it, as there was reasonable doubt in the first instance. We have a responsibility not only legally, or to the premises and ourselves, but most importantly to the person we are asking, to prove their age. I do understand that it must be annoying, but we do operate Challenge 21 here and in some places it is Challenge 25. These are put in place to protect people. If your colleague looks young and is only 20, then she will no doubt, at some point, be asked again. I understand that you did stay here for some time after this though, and that you will reconsider coming here in the future. If you would like to come and see me, or indeed your colleague, then by all means, let me know as I would be happy to talk this over with you.
We do not want our customers to ever feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, as that is far from the case and we would like to show you this and for you to change your opinion.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

Great food and the service is excellent. Sidonie especially is a credit and goes above and beyond to give outstanding customer service!

Sidonie R, General Manager at Shaws Booksellers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you very much for giving us such a great review and also personally to me! I am glad to hear that whatever I did, it was above & beyond! All the staff do their best to do that too. Hope you'll be popping in again soon to enjoy another visit with us.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

The large windows on a corner invited us for pub grub and more. Having been guided round Disastrous London for two hours we were ready for carrot and coriander soup.
We sat by the window and the place would have been warmer if the radiator had been on. Enjoyed the Paul’s brownie that was hot with ice cream.

Sidonie R, General Manager at Shaws Booksellers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Thank you very much for your review. So pleased you enjoyed the soup and the brownie and I am sorry that the radiator was not on, but hope that the food warmed you up!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Found this restaurant by accident whilst strolling through the narrow back lanes between Blackfriars & St Pauls. Staff were lovely & friendly & the food was good. The whole area is fascinating like stepping back into the past, a nice change from all the shiny modern buildings in much of the City.

1  Thank SMOGtraveller
Sidonie R, General Manager at Shaws Booksellers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi there, I have to agree with you that both the building and the area are fascinating and rich in their heritage and history. I personally love this part of London and also love the contrast of the new and the old. Thank you very much for giving us a great rating and we are so pleased to hear that you found us hospitable and that you enjoyed your meal too. I hope that you come by and say hi next time!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent place to meet up for a drink with work colleagues. Good beer and good place to meet up inside or out

Sidonie R, General Manager at Shaws Booksellers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thank you for finding the time to rate our lovely little place. Really pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon!