“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #875 of 1,886 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 3 May 2018

I booked four first class tickets from Birmingham New Street (12:30) to London Euston (13:56) for 18 April 2018. My son loves train so my husband and I wanted to give him a special first experience. Let's say our first experience was far from nice, but thankfully at his age, he didn't understand and wouldn't know the difference.

When we arrived at the Birmingham New Street Station, we sought out the First Class Lounge since we had an hour to spare. We stood just inside the lounge entrance for a minute before an associate arrived to check our tickets. There was no greeting, no smile, just a "Can I see your ticket please?" Once she confirmed our tickets, she promptly turned around and walked away. It wouldn't hurt if she had added a "Please seat yourself and enjoy the free refreshments" but I guess friendly customer service isn't a job requirement. It also didn't help that other patrons in the lounge kept giving our children glances every so often even though we purposely seated ourselves in the back corner, and our children were quiet and occupied with their individual tablets with the volume on low. I felt like I was in the "Lounge for Snobs".

When it came time to boarding, there was no one around to provide assistance. We were travelling from Canada so we had a number of large luggages to content with but there was no visible sign or place for storage in the First Class Cabin (E). The crew members were busying themselves behind the food station. When I approached to ask about storage, the crew member (who is of visible minority) gave me the "stink eye" from head to toe and asked if I had first class tickets. I took a deep breath and replied in the affirmative, in which she waved her hand in the general direction towards the entrance of the cabin with a "Over there" reply. At this point, I was REALLY NOT impressed but we had to get to London. Throughout our journey, this same crew member did not extend the same service to my family as she did to other passengers on the train. She was not friendly in the least and gave me the impression that we were the last people on Earth she wanted to serve.

On top of that, while food and beverages were served to us at our seats, it was nothing special and certainly not worth the extra £ we paid for First Class.

If we were to visit the UK again, we will avoid Virgin Train at all cost!

4  Thank Pauline W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"companies"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I had the misfortune of travelling with Virgin Trains again, last Tuesday from Crewe to Lime Street Station. Dreadful service and attitude is truly awful especially to people with mobility issues. This woman purporting to be a train dispatcher seemed to think that it was perfectly reasonable to stand for an hour on a train despite being advised countless times that I am disabled and therefore need assistance with boarding and finding a seat. If I could have chosen another train company I would have done but as Virgin have a monopoly you really don't have the luxury of choice. To cap it off I'm going to a conference in 2 weeks which is being held in Blackpool, guess which train company I have to travel with yet again.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We took this train from London to Scotland last Monday. Great service, fast and reliable. If you want to know what bad is, come to Boston! This train line even got us back on track, pun intended, when the Caledonia Sleeper left us 5 hours behind schedule due to a train fire. Virgin honored our ticket and saved us 3 hours on the return trip to London at no extra cost. Could not have asked for more.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Trains were on time, but we had to make a dash for our train from Euston to Chester. They announced 10 minutes earlier that the train was arriving and we had to make a run for the platform with our heavy luggage. It's not like Euston is a small station. It's huge, so passengers especially those lugging lots of luggage need time to get to the train. Otherwise, announce ahead of time which platform you have to get to. There needs to be more space for luggage instead of the really small one that's available in each coach. What if there are passengers travelling with big bags?