1,220 results
All reviews wild boar feature room copper bath scotch egg smoke house clay pigeon shooting micro brewery pigs in blankets pork scratchings smoked steak mad pig afternoon tea real ale luxury room evening meal sister hotel open fire
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We visited here for afternoon tea at the end of a lovely weekend in Cumbria with family. It was the perfect end to a brilliant weekend. We had gorgeous food and were treated so well. It was awesome. Thank you!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Dear faithomson
Thank you for a great review of your visit - I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our unique 'Wild Boar Afternoon Tea' and we do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

We had lunch here on way to Ambleside . We were greeted warmly and were seated at a large window table. Very good service and our sandwiches were delicious, served on a wooden board, bloomer bread and crisps. I chose ham, my husband salmon. My husband enjoyed a small trio of beers. Our waitress was very helpful and friendly. We visited bank holiday Monday. A lovely relaxing visit, the hotel was spotless.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Dear 747MrsH
Thank you for posting a review of your visit.
Glad to read that you enjoyed your lunch and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

We stayed two nights at The Wild Boars Inn the week before the Easter weekend, in room number 38 which is at the rear of the property.. I will get the bad things out of the way first, the phone reception was very poor, but the Wi-Fi was ok. There are lots of stairs to negotiate especially down to the bar area, so we used the outside door in our room and walked round to the bar and restaurant.
The staff were very friendly and helpful,if a bit disorganised on the paperwork side of things. The hotel is in a lovely setting with walks into the wood and countryside ideal for burning off those calories, and wellington boots are provided should you need them. The room and bathroom (38) was warm and spotlessly clean and tidy and had a comfy sofa to crash out on.
The breakfasts were huge and satisfying, just the job for a days exploring,and walking. The restaurant was very large with plenty of room to stretch out in. The service was second to none and everyone was helpful and attentive. Once again the food was delicious, hot and plentiful
There is a Brewery on-site and luckily they were brewing during our stay,it was really interesting and we enjoyed watching and talking to the Brewer. The Wild Boars is only a few miles from Windermere and all the attractions,including their sister Hotel that has a swimming pool ( due to open 2017 after a major renovation ). We were so impressed with the Wild Boars that we booked to stay Christmas 2017 . Thank you all for a lovely stay

Room Tip: Room Number 38 has a door onto the car park area
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Dear Oick
Thank you for such a fantastic review of your stay (I'm unsure of the issue relating to paperwork and would be grateful of any information you might be willing to provide).
Great to read that we will be welcoming you back to celebrate Christmas with us here at 'The Boar' and please do get in contact beforehand if there is any way in which we might be able to make this next stay just as memorable.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

We held our daughters wedding here and have had The most wonderful time . From beginning to end Jenette and her team gave us 100% . Food ,accomadation and service you could not improve on . We stayed in room 10, large room with beautiful bathroom and comfy bed , great room to get ready for a wedding in . Recommend a May wedding as the blue bells in the wood behind made such a pretty setting for photos. The evening before we had a gathering of 50 people in the hotel and we were a little worried we hadn't ordered enough food .... within minutes after mentioning this they came with more, taking the stress from us immediately . Breakfast lovely , everything piping hot and well presented ( the porridge so creamy ) The day ran like clockwork , all 100 guests enjoyed their food , most ordering scotch egg , Jacobs Ladder , Rubarb crumble . I enjoyed soup, citrus Chicken and Eton Mess . The evening reception went well I was a little worried the room my be a little small for a disco but no it was brilliant . We rounded the night off with Hog roast and a beautiful cake made of cheese dressed with fruit and nuts. Perfection from start to finish . If you are looking for a Wedding venue its perfect.Thank you team .

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Dear Elsa C
Many thanks for such a lovely review of your daughter's wedding - I will of course share your kind words with Jeanette in particular and the team in general.
I was delighted to read that both the wedding itself and your own stay with us proved so enjoyable and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Wild Boar very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

I stayed here overnight as I was invited to a Wedding Night do. Looks nice on arrival and big car park that goes around the back of the hotel. Friendly welcome, nice warm open fire on in the bar. I stayed in a twin room which was really nice, all the usual amenities - tea, coffee, etc (even had biscuits & hot chocolate). Drinks priced as you expect in the Lakes, I didn't eat so can't comment on the food but everyone said what they had was nice. We didn't get up for breakfast as it stopped serving at 10, check out was 11. The grounds looked nice, I would stay here again. The only negative (which didn't bother me but I know it did others), you don't get a reception on your mobile and even though it says you're contacted to the wifi, you can't get on the internet.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaisieMooD

Dear MaisieMooD
Many thanks for posting a review of your stay and great to read that this proved enjoyable.
I hope you alerted a member of the team to your problem with accessing the internet - as with many hotels, you do need to use a login code (as per the instructions on the homepage which loads upon attempting to connect) which is available from Reception.
We do hope to welcome you back soon and I will of course share your comments with the team.