1,237 results
All reviews wild boar feature room copper bath smoke house scotch egg micro brewery clay pigeon shooting pigs in blankets pork scratchings smoked steak mad pig afternoon tea real ale luxury room evening meal sister hotel open fire
Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed here in a room for £110, it was really raining and there was a leak in the bedroom and bathroom. The room also wasn't clean with cobwebs in corners and on the curtains. We let the staff know and they did give us a drink in compensation but I wouldn't recommend the room. The hotel has a lot of potential but maybe we were just in the wrong room (room 22). The food on the other hand was outstanding and well worth the price if I was in the area and wanted a special dinner out I would definitely recommend here. I am sad I can't review the food and the room separately as the restaurant, service and food was 5 star.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank ewersocki
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear ewersocki
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay.
I was delighted to read that your experience in our restaurant was positive, although dismayed to learn of the issues relating to your room - certainly most unusual and, having just returned from annual leave and not here at the time of your stay, I will of course investigate your observations and address these accordingly.
We hope to welcome you back to The Wild Boar at some point in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

We booked one night DBAB with our Yorkshire Terrier, Lily, as we had read all the excellent reviews and it had also been recommended. We arrived at midday and didn't expect our room to be ready but a member of staff kindly ran upstairs to see if it was ready and it was. Our room had a large comfortable bed and a dog bed, bowl, towel and chew sticks for Lily. We unpacked and then went downstairs for lunch. We were shown to a table in the lounge area and Lily was made very welcome. I had a ham and cheese toastie and my husband had a Rubén sandwich. Both were brought with chips, salad and coleslaw. We also ordered a portion of their homemade pork scratching with apple sauce. Both meals were really nice and filling. We then decided to take Lily on a walk around the woods in the hotel grounds, where we saw deer. The hotel has a rack full of different sizes of Wellington boots for guests to borrow if they haven't brought any boots and they also have umbrellas and an outside hose and boot cleaner which was very handy. We had booked a table for our evening meal for 7pm. I was still quite full from our lunch so I just had the pigs in blankets with mayonnaise to start and my husband had the scotch egg. Lily and I loved the pigs in blankets and my husband really enjoyed his scotch egg, particularly the spicy brown sauce! For my main course, I had fish and chips and my husband had the 10oz sirloin steak with chips and onion rings. Both the fish and onion rings had crispy batter and my husbands steak was cooked perfectly. I was too full for anything else but my husband ordered baked Alaska. I did try it and we both agreed that it was the nicest one we have had. We stayed in the lounge for a few hours after we had eaten, talking to another couple who had also got their dog with them and a family with 2 young children. Everyone was really friendly. For breakfast, we both ordered the full Cumbrian which is made to order, unlike most hotels now who offer a buffet breakfast. It consisted of sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, egg (any way you want it), beans, smoked black pudding, grilled tomato and potato cake and toast. You can help yourself to cereals, pastries, yogurt and fruit. We were so full from our breakfast that we didn't need anything for lunch. All of the ingredients were really good quality and well cooked and nicely presented. We then, sadly, had to check out but would've happily stayed for longer, and so would Lily. All of the staff were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome and I would recommend to dog owners, families and couples. You are able to use the spa facilities at their other hotel but we didn't use them.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Dear Coletteem
Thank you for such a positive review and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us here at The Wild Boar.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

We went to the wild boar for lunch, just caught it in time as they finish serving lunch at 2pm.

I ordered the Jacobs ladder beef, a beef rib, which was braised perfectly and tender. It came with potato gratin and caramelised carrots, all in a very rich gravy. This dish was just under £25. Others in out party had woodland mushroom risotto, fish and chips and sirloin steak with chips.

Our total bill with one round of drinks was £94 for 4 people. For lunch I consider that very expensive. Food was great though, others in our party felt the chips let their dishes down and had hoped for more chunky rather than French fry type chips.

Staff were very helpful, and polite.

Overall the place was very clean, great interior decoration. Parking was available right outside.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Dear 375russyg
Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit and I was glad to read that, on the whole, this was enjoyable.
We do of course offer a wide variety of options for lunch, priced accordingly, with hot and cold sandwiches and lighter snacks/dishes available for those who can't manage a full restaurant lunch and I am sorry that you found your chosen dishes to be on the expensive side.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

We visited this hotel/restaurant for lunch on a Sunday and it didn't disappoint.

The restaurant was well presented and the atmosphere was of a old country cottage.

The staff within the restaurant were great and very helpful.

The menu was very impressive with lots of different cuts of steak. I decided on the 8oz fillet steak with dauphinise potatoes.

I would recommend this restaurant to everyone that travels to the lakes.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Dear SJA1001
Thank you for reviewing your visit and I was pleased to read that your Sunday lunch proved enjoyable.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Stopped here for Sunday lunch on way to Bowness. Very disappointed have stopped here regularly over the last few years. The area we sat in was cold. We sat for 20 mins and had to ask for menus. Then we had to go and ask someone to come and take our order. The food arrived promptly and was average but the portion size for the cost was poor. 2 roast potatoes teaspoon full of mash very little veg and a thin Yorkshire pudding and 2 small Pieces of beef very little gravy came to £15. We were brought a small jug of more gravy when we asked.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank PatM969

Dear Pat M
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
I was sorry to read that, on this occasion, we failed to meet your expectations and apologies for this - I will certainly share your comments with my team in an effort to better cater for future guests.
best regards