2,174 results
All reviews afternoon tea a lake view room senior suite steam room molton brown toiletries lake district sitting room buffet style beautiful hotel separate shower huge bed dove cottage reception area restaurant manager scones birthday treat high standard
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here the night before the Fred Whitton Challenge which my husband was taking part in. The staff were very accommodating and helpful. The hotel had put on an early breakfast for the cyclists which was good. The Concierge was helpful with good local knowledge.

The hotel is in a good location within easy walking distance to Grasmere village and there is a bus stop just over the road from the hotel. The buses run about every half an hour which take you to Ambleside/Windermere. It’s quite expensive, but easier than taking the car and trying to find parking etc.

The room was clean. Good toiletries and coffee making facilities. The mattress however wasn’t great as you could
Feel the springs. TV with a good selection of channels.

The spa was average. Not too busy which was nice.

Overall a good hotel in a good location with Good friendly staff.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jo H
Reviewed 13 May 2018

I have stayed here twice over the last two months. The first time we had a huge room overlooking the lake. The bed was enormous and the room spotlessly clean. We ate in the restaurant where I chose fish on a bed of samphire. The food was delicious albeit a little overpriced. The breakfast was buffet style but I never feel that the food is hot enough when it is stood under lamps. Our second visit as in a valley room. I was really disappointed to be honest and not because of the lack of view. The room was overlooking the car park which was not a problem but it was quite small and not as well maintained. The carpet was a bit worn and some of the decor was a bit tired.the people in the room adjoining and the room below were really noisy and loud so I guess the rooms are not as sound proof. I'm not against anyone enjoying themselves, life is too short, but when they are still being noisy at two in the morning and you have to resort to ear plugs it's not on, We ate in the restaurant again and as I enjoyed the fish I ordered it again. It says on the menu it is served on samphire but when I started to eat it, it was on a bed of green beans and broccoli. We were not told the dish had been changed and thought it would have been courteous to be told. On the second visit we booked into the spa and each had an obsidian treatment with hot stones. Mine was lovely, but my sister didn't really enjoy hers. The young girl seemed to lack confidence and spoke really quietly. She also pressed down very hard on the shoulder blades which was actually painful. I think she might be a trainee so appreciate she has to learn but the next day her shoulders felt sore, whilst I was relaxed. I would probably visit again as I think the hotel is lovely but think with a few tweaks here and there it could be much better. There is building work going on at the road side but I don't think I would like to stay in those rooms as the road is really busy.

Room Tip: Lake view are quitter but more expensive
Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Southy50
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

The hotel was in a amazing setting with stunning views. From the moment we arrived we found the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful. The restaurant staff were especially friendly and efficient. The food was great with an extensive choice at breakfast and dinner. It was also good to come back at the end of a day sightseeing to relax in the spa. It was very clean and never too busy.
The room was modern and comfortable, spacious bathroom, our room had a great view of the lake, but the valley view is equally stunning. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zanders59
Reviewed 5 May 2018

Excellent service,very helpful staff. Booked Birthday surprise for my Mothers birthday,beautiful location,rooms spacious with modern facilities. Having the use of the Spa was great ,had Afternoon tea which was one of the best we have tasted.Overall a wonderful hotel with exceptional service.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Pippa2312
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Love this hotel.
At first I was a bit thrown off work with the option of getting and choosing the no view room option however it turned out very good.
The room we had was very spacious, however if you are willing to stay a little while, the hotel room don’t have/provide mini bars.

The breakfast at the hotel was amazing! It was such a shame that we were not told about the spa which came with our booking.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple