“Good food, Gin selection and nice guest beers”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 Restaurants in Coniston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We ate at the Crown Inn on a Friday night. We didn't book, but we did get there early.

The food was great... there was a mix up on our order, but we were not going to let food go to waste. The Chicken and Leek pudding was great along with the cumberland sausage.

There was a great range of Gins and local guest beers, all well worth a try.

I do recommend eating here and book in advance.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great value for money and a very popular place ... friendly and welcoming. Good menu choices. Went on 'pizza night' and my partner was apparently the first to order an actual pizza that day ...!

1  Thank lizthemeerkat
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Sat in the carpeted bar area as opposed to the restaurant as we had the dog with us. Atmosphere was pleasant, with several tourists and a few people watching the football but still fairly quiet and relaxing. Thought it may be busier being a pub on a Sunday?! But I guess this is The Lake District and it’s quite remote! We ordered roast dinner, we were told they only had chicken left which was fine by us and I felt this was a good sign that their roast dinners must be popular. I presume they are busier at lunchtime on Sundays. Unfortunately the food was mediocre. I suspect we were given all the leftovers as the chicken was tasty but slightly chewy and the potatoes tasted like they’d been sat in the roasting tray all afternoon and then reheated. Nice veg though and a large Yorkshire pudding. Staff were friendly and the bar itself was a nice area to sit and unwind in.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Located between the village center and the lake, the Crown has a traditional wood paneled bar, and a larger pleasant and airy dining area to the rear, plus outside seating.
The menu offers a good range of traditional and modern dishes, and a small range of cask ales are offered at the bar. We had a special of the day of lamb hotpot with pearl barley, and found it a little bland, plus the portion size was a bit small. Many of the dishes ordered by other diners looked more attractive and generous - perhaps we made a poor choice. The meal was somewhat saved by an excellent sticky toffee pudding.
Service was friendly and helpful, but considering our choice of food only average value.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

Ate here twice and both my husband had the same meals each time. Very friendly welcome. My first steak and ale pie was HUGE packed with meat imho a little too big. Felt there could have been a little more gravy as became quite dry. The second visit the pie seemed smaller but was obviously reheated and was cold in the middle, little disappointing. My husband had fish and chips on both days and was satisfied with his meals although preferred the first days. (Different chef??)
If you want good old comfort food then eat here but be prepared for hit and miss.