“Great food”

Ranked #76 of 913 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: NOTICE - We will be closing our doors temporarily due to a family vacation from 8th January 2017 - 3rd February 2017, feel free to be in touch with us otherwise using the booking form on our website! Taj Mahal Restaurant Southampton offers a stimulating range of Bangladeshi and South Asian dishes - with a creative twist appealing to the western palate. Generations of South Asian culture & recipes have been used to influence our menu, which has been carefully prepared to present a flavoursome representation of one of the world's most popular cuisines. All of our dishes are cooked to order using locally-sourced fresh ingredients, combined with exotic spices from around the world, all expertly prepared and cooked. Cooking from scratch lets us to flexibly change our dishes with any ingredients & amendments to spices desired by our patrons, so feel free to let us know to turn up the chillis or if your favourite curry isn't on our menu
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Came across this place while working away.
Staff were friendly, and the food was top class and great value for money. would highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Wow I come across this little gem prior to visiting the Mayflower theatre it's literally just across the road
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was beautiful the poppadoms were crispy and a nice selection of chutneys I opted for a prawn passanda wish was lovely and tasty with just the right amount of spice nothing was too much trouble to them highly recommended and will definitely visit again

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I'm writing this having just got back from eating at the Taj Mahal. For anyone going to the Mayflower theatre or needing somewhere close to the station, this is a perfect place for a tasty curry. Serving Bangladeshi and South Asian specialities (I had the saya), together with more traditional Indian curries, this family run restaurant offers a wide, reasonably priced selection of food.
Mohammed is an excellent host and is also very knowledgeable about pretty much everything! I was made to feel like a friend rather than just a paying customer.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

A very good meal which was perfectly timed, each course came seamlessly. The food was very good and added a new favourite dish to my list, the lamb kashmir. The staff were very friendly and genuine. Definitely a place to revisit.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Me and my husband got a meat thali takeaway, worst we have ever had, the portions weren't even a half portion, the vegetable curry was frozen vegetables mixed with curry sauce the prawn curry tasted like it was with milk and a dash of curry powder....absolutely no flavour in any of it, the tastiest bit of the dish was the basmati rice.....you want a good curry come up north

MrMMiah, Manager at Taj Mahal Restaurant Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Dear Mrsw9

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Thali dish.

This review has left me perplexed as to what exactly needs addressing. Apologies in advance if I quote some of your written text in my reply.

1. "The portions weren't even a half portions".
The Thali is not designed for two people. It's stated that in the menu and a simple Google search would reveal that.
When we finished preparing the dish. We did not have the correct sized takeaway container and had to adapt to full fill your request.

2. I'm sorry we have fallen short in the quality of each dish. We will look to revising our cooking methods in the near future. However. It's good to read that you liked the Basmati rice.

3. "You want a good curry come up north".
I personally disagree with that statement. The Asian food market diversified with most subcontinental countries branching out into their own unique tastes.
Most award winning Asian restaurants are based in the around the country which would change your opinion quickly .

Once again I apologize and wish you all the best up north in your comfort zone.

Warmest Regards