“Great Southsea restaurant! Fine dining food but with a relaxed, fun atmosphere!”
Review of Carter & Co

Carter & Co
Reserve a table
Thu, 05/08
20:00
Ranked #172 of 671 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$7 - US$278
Description: Tucked away in the heart of Southsea and steeped in history, we are a vibrant Restaurant & Bar serving top quality British and European inspired cuisine as well as exclusive spirits, artisan cocktails and great wine. Housed in a beautiful grade two listed building and full of character, we have a choice of rooms to dine and drink in, so we are the perfect destination for all occasions whether it is brunch, dinner or drinks.
Reviewed 11 June 2021

Beautiful new restaurant in Southsea. I came on a Sunday for some cocktails and a roast and the whole experience was fantastic. The staff were really warm and attentive as soon as we arrived and throughout.
We tried a small plate and the pork roast, both of which were delicious and beautifully served, every element nailed - the food was fine dining quality but served in a nice ,relaxed atmosphere! Perfect.
The cocktail bartender was particularly impressive and knowledgable and helped us choose the best cocktails for us! Would definitely recommend.

3  Thank Sophie C
Write a reviewReviews (24)

Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

On the whole had a great time! Restaurant is beautiful. The food was delicious. Slight negatives, my husband asked for his steak rare and it came medium. The lamb was also medium well which really surprised me. No one came to ask us how everything was. Our mains were still absolutely delicious so we just went with it. Our first waitress was great, really attentive . After she left we felt a bit like no one was particularly looking after us, even though there were a lot of staff on, and only 4 tables inside. We had to keep smiling to get attention for when we wanted to order more drinks etc.
Overall we would return, and we had a nice evening.

Reviewed 6 June 2021 via mobile

Beautiful new bar/ restaurant in southsea. Stunning location so cute and nice vibe. Staff all so attentive & helped with bill issues.
Requested Window table and had one ready for me when I got there. Food & drinks a tad over priced for what they are but still all lovely. I don’t mind paying extra for a flat white to come in a flat white glass or a prosecco to come in a nice flute! Will be returning.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 5 June 2021

“Elevated Casual Dining & Drinking” and that is exactly the experience we both had tonight. When ordering food, we could not decide on which main dish to go for, so we opted for a couple of “Small Plates” each, Mrs B going for Sweetcorn Fritters, Smashed Avocado & Chilli Jam plus Vegan Halloumi Fries, Spiced Tomato Relish & Dressed Rocket which she wholly enjoyed giving tom marks to each dish, all GF choices. I went for British Cure Meat Plate, Olives, Peppers plus Pan Fried Prawns, Chilli & Garlic, Lemon Aioli, wowsers, the prawn small plate literally blew me away, instantly awarding it 10 out of ten with three gold stars. The meat platter had lovely stuffed peppers with cream cheese, olives, salad and three slices of bread with a selection of exceedingly tasty, preserved meats, half which I had never seen or tasted, they come from a West Country farm that specialise in hand crafted cured meats, top marks for this dish too. The only minus that I felt the choice of bread, possibly focaccia was bland, and a sourdough being a more substantial bread that would work better, that said I can only say our experience as ten out of ten, in 15 years of marriage we eat out a lot, this is fine dining in a pub, and I think our best experience yet. Nearly forgot the deserts (only took piccies as I woofed down the other food to quickly), Mrs B has Strawberries & Cream, White Chocolate Crumb & Basil, I had Baked Rhubarb, Puff Pastry, Granola, Crème Pate, just like the prawns, amazing, like a deconstructed rhubarb crumble, here the funny bit, I questioned the waitress over why sticks of carrot, she then informed me it was rhubarb, quickly finished all my “carrots”, divine, worth the embarrassment & Mrs B can ‘dine out’ on that bit for months. Lastly, thanks to our lovely server, made the experience so nice in such a nice atmosphere. Can see coming back again & again, what diet.

1  Thank William B
Reviewed 4 June 2021

This new restaurant in Southsea is fantastic! The interiors have been beautifully renovated with a sunny courtyard for outdoor dining as well. I have eaten there twice and was very impressed with the food on both occasions. The Sunday Roast is incredible! A range of delicious cocktails to try - my favourite is the Passionfruit Martini. All the staff are very friendly and attentive. I can't wait to visit again soon.

Date of visit: May 2021