All reviews gunwharf quays superior room small pool naval base limited parking leisure facilities gun wharf hms victory parking space buffet style spinnaker tower bed was comfortable full english breakfast was excellent would stay again tea and coffee free parking
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We had booked a superior room, which when we saw it made us think "superior to what?" It was a basic room with a decent sized bed and a view of a council estate through dirty windows.

The corridors of the hotel have an asylum chic about them, with peeling wallpaper, chipped paint and stained carpets.

The room itself was clean, however, but when we returned at 11pm, a wedding band was playing in the hotel ballroom and the noise was deafening. It was scheduled to run until midnight so we asked to move to a quieter room. The receptionist was very nice and apologetic, and said that they had another superior room one level up from us, but another guest complaining about the noise had already visited the room and decided that the noise was just as bad. An alternative was a double room in the annexe, but she cautioned me, in a low voice, that this would be very different to our superior room as it hadn't been refurbished. She gave me a key, and I looked at the room. It had a bed the size of a postage stamp, but it was quiet. I went to get my husband to show him the new room. The keycard for the new room didn't work this time. We called reception and eventually someone came up, tried the key, and confirmed it didn't work. He disappeared back downstairs to get a new key. We waited. And waited. By this point it was approaching 11:30 so we gave up and told reception that we would just stay in the original room. So we suffered the wedding band blasting out "Hey Jude", the song that never ends, until eventually it did.

Breakfast... no coffee machine, just a massive metal urn of the type you might expect in a community centre. Food to match, slowly drying out under a heat lamp. This experience cost us £130. Avoid this hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian C
RMC1856, General Manager at Royal Maritime Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Hi Gillian. We’re sorry to hear your feedback. We are always conscious not to inconvenience any of our guests and will always endeavour not to position guests directly above the events space when weddings are on. As you experienced first-hand, we always go out of our way to move guests if they are unhappy with their room. We also advise on our booking confirmations that we hold events and that occasionally music can be heard. We can confirm superior rooms have bigger beds than standard rooms.The majority of our guests have a great experience with us and we’re sorry to hear you didn’t feel this applied to you.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

We picked this hotel for it's location close to the Historic Dockyard which was 5 mins walk. We were there during the hottest weather, from Sunday to Friday and of course there is no air con but with all the windows open we didn't have a problem.The room was fine, and well cleaned every day. I think the hotel is gradually being refurbished as our room was recently decorated and the carpet in the public area was brand new. We only ate breakfast there and that was excellent . At night we had a few minutes walk to Gunwharf Quays precinct with its collection of restaurants. We plan to return as we still have things to see and we will definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
RMC1856, General Manager at Royal Maritime Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Just had a really great three night stay at the Royal Maritime Club.

There’s an old saying that you get what you pay for but throughout my time there I felt like I was getting far more than what I actually paid. I settled on staying here for two reasons, the location and the price, and both were truly excellent… but so was everything else. I was in Portsmouth to visit the historic dockyards while arriving by train and the Royal Maritime Club was perfect for both. It’s about three minutes walk in a straight line to get from the front door to the dockyard and a five minute walk to Portsmouth Harbour station making it a perfect base to use. Considering the cheap price, that I was staying in a single and some of the reviews here I really wasn’t expecting much from the hotel itself but overall it wasn’t just adequate, it was great. My room was fairly small… but that’s what you expect from a single… and other than some chipped paint on one of the walls didn’t look or feel tired at all. The bed was comfy, the shower was hot and with excellent water pressure, it was cleaned to a high level each day and had all the essentials. It may have felt a little claustrophobic if I spent all day in there but 1) you’d always expect that at this price and 2) I never intended to spend all day in there.

My package included a three course dinner each night and again this massively exceeded my expectations. The menu is more extensive than the one on the website, generally featuring six or so starters and eight main courses (three meat, two fish, three vegetarian) and was also more interesting and adventurous than I expected. While one wouldn’t necessarily call the cooking delicate or precise things were well cooked and tasty while the portion sizes were extremely generous. Considering how much I was paying for the meals as part of my package it was excellent value. The only slight complaint was that staff were sometimes a touch slow to take plates away when you’d finished a course but it was a very minor issue compared to the positives. The breakfast is also pretty damn good with a wide range of continental options and a full fry-up style of self-service buffet options; they were always hot, plentiful and well cooked. The on-site Victory Bar was always a very social place with a nice mix of guests and locals, a good selection of beer and people who always made you feel welcome. Overall the staff balanced being friendly and professional extremely well, were always helpful and always polite.

If I’m ever back on that side of Portsmouth I would have no hesitation about staying here again and will happily recommend it to anyone I know as a great base to use for exploring the dockyard, historic Portsmouth or a spell of retail therapy at Gunwharf Keys (about eight minutes walk away, just down from the dockyard).

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Matthew R

Matthew thank you for your wonderful review, we're so pleased you had a great time! Do come back again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

Myself and husband stayed here on business and chose this because of the location and price (but wait .... I had incorrectly on the booking site chose 1 adult not 2 - but booked a superior “large double bed “)
So when we arrived at check in the Andy said superior room large double - for 1 .
I said no 2 people , she explained there was breakfast inc and the reason it was £89 which I had already paid was because it was for 1 person - ok my bad . What the surcharge . £40 ..... !! For someone else in the bed I was already allocated and a breakfast ???? We could have booked a boutique cute hotel for same money

Anyway I paid
We got to the room to find it over looked to the local housing flats , the room was Small , almost resembled student housing in a weird building (which I already knew the building was odd )
The “large” superior bed was a normal cheap double bed that when one person moved the springs at the opposite side of the mattress nearly flew you out of bed !

The room was very hot, so we had to have the window open all night ,
Locals or homeless people were drunk outside and shouting and drinking into about 3am .

So we didn’t sleep well at all , very well (the whole point of us staying over was to break the business trip in 2 and be refreshed - didn’t work )
The bathroom is cheaply done also

The room was clean and bedding clean

I feel sad writing this as it’s a charity who run the club with good intentions

The staff were nice and breakfast good quality but a serve yourself

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank kimruse

Hi Kimberley thanks for your feedback both here and on Facebook. As we said, we're sorry to hear you were kept up by people outside. As we're sure you can appreciate we cannot control people outside of the hotel and we hope the great central location of the hotel, and its closeness to nearby attractions, outweighed the disturbance. We can confirm that your bed was a larger, soft edge bed and certainly not a normal double. The weather has been very hot recently so we have placed fans in the rooms for our guests. Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

The single room is about 6’x8’. Plus shower room.
The carpet is dirty. The walls in the bathroom are flaking. Behind the toilet is dirty. It’s like going back in time to the 70s. To top it all the hotel fire alarm is faulty and goes off on the night. Stay away.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
RMC1856, General Manager at Royal Maritime Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear Dragonslayer

We are unable to trace the single room you talk about in your review, without a surname. Nine single rooms departed today and none of them directly match your description so we are somewhat stumped as to which room your review refers to..

We can confirm that the fire alarm was not faulty but triggered by a guest just before 10.30pm spraying deodorant at the smoke detector in an attempt to kill a fly. Following our investigation of the room indicated as the cause, our announcement of a false alarm and the system reset was by no means an indication of a faulty system.