All reviews glass shelf oldest pub in england the pub limited parking feature room roll top bath lovely lunch superior room main restaurant bar area street parking lovely old building wine list lovely room booked a table attention to detail coffee machine
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We had an excellent lunch last Sunday, so booked again for today. What a disappointment. The menu had changed it's format and was more " chefy" as my husband calls it - grapefruit gel with the mackerel and snipped chives with the lobster (a couple of examples). I was delighted to see a vegetarian roast available until it arrived. It was visibly smaller than my husband's pork version - two small roast potatoes, no cauliflower, a carrot and a parsnip that were so al dente that you couldn't cut them and no Yorkshire pudding (you can have Yorkshires with a veggie meal). The pithivier was small and contained a mushroom cut into four and some spinach. My husband's meal was only just acceptable with regard to the heat of the food, as were my vegetables. Service was very slow (not just for us, but other diners too). The saving grace was the excellent strawberry pavlova - lovely chewy home-made meringue. I believe they have new chefs and other staff (?) so hopefully this is just a glitch - fingers crossed.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
AlexDavenportJones, Manager at The Porch House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Good morning and thank you very much for your recent review. I am so sorry to hear about your recent dining experience and would love to speak to you in relation to this. Can I ask you call me directly on the number below to discuss the matter further.

Andrew
01451 870048

Reviewed 8 June 2018

Stayed for one night whilst away for work. Plenty of parking available on the surrounding streets. Bed was incredibly comfortable and there was a large bottle of water in the room which is always appreciated. Staff were great - friendly and efficient. Food was also excellent - we arrived too late for dinner but were able to stop off for lunch on our way back the next day. My only criticism is that the sink was very small and it was a bit awkward with the shelf directly above it! Will definitely be back though.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to welcoming you in the future where we we will have addressed the sink issues.

Andrew

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Room was nice and comfy (slight damp smell) - overall happy with it but unfortunately it was a real hassle to be able to pay the bill. Had to come back later and it felt like I was the first person to settle up...which obviously I couldn't have been. Getting an invoice took another three emails (ignored) plus a phonecall.

The team was friendly but yeah...will explore other places when returning to the area. Shame really.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi and thank you for your review. I can only apologise for your recent poor experience and would like to reassure you that steps have now been taken to avoid this confusion in the future with some of the changes being a new reception area and a new management team. I do hope you will visit us again in the future in order for us to rectify past mistakes.

Andrew Tierney
01451 870048

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

The Porch House is a lovely place to stay...staff are very polite and helpful....but! Our room was extremely small especially the bathroom, the sink was tiny,we even struggled to wash our hands in it...it was ok for our 2 night stay but not really practical for a longer stay....breakfast was nice but the extra charges need changing...breakfast should be included in the room rate,they ask you to choose either continental or English with a charge for each or you can have both at a reduced rate...I have never stayed anywhere where this was done...

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela C

Good morning Miss Christensen we have no control on the external sites and charges but I can assure you that if you book directly with The Porch House then breakfast is included. i hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Andrew Tierney

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Staff friendly and helpful but a little disorganised. Room and amenities good, but front location was very noisy. Food was nice but breakfast service slow. We should have been advised in advance that the hotel was to be closed to non residents for three days during our stay. We were given breakfast and evening meal service but without the local non residents there was no atmosphere in the pub. On our final morning seemingly guests from a nearby hotel were using our hotel for breakfast which caused big delays to our breakfast service. Advertised off road parking consisted of four spaces, one of which was for disabled. What was advertised turned out to be a little disappointing and could not be considered good value for the money payed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are very noisy
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
AlexDavenportJones, Guest Relations Manager at The Porch House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Dear Sir thank you very much for your feedback. We would like to assure you that new staff members have now been recruited in order to address the slow service issues. In relation to the non residents policy this unfortunately was beyond our control and again please be assured we welcome all guests to the Porch House both resident and non resident. The Porch House unfortunately does not have the space to accommodate a larger car park butt a member of staff is always on hand to assist you in finding a safe place to park your vehicle. I hope we have addressed some concerns and hope you will visit the Porch house again in the future. kind regards Andrew Tierney Deputy Manager