All reviews wood fired oven premium room outside seating area lovely hotel coffee machine comfortable seating sea bass street noise great shower lady on reception breakfast was included ate here both mornings evening meal sunday lunch lovely meal two night stay
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend. The hotel itself is really lovely, great location and we had a very nice room. However, it,s not a cheap hotel so I simply expected everything to be great. The hot tap to our sink didn't work and you couldn't actually use the plug at all, when I mentioned this, very politely, to the lady who cleaned our room, she simply told me to turn the tap on and wait (apparently they,d had a lot of problems with it), surprisingly, I do know how to use a tap.......and her advice made no difference.
The second night, our shower didn't work, we could only get freezing cold water . We patiently dialled 0 as advised, for any problems, but no one answered. My husband then went to reception, which was closed.......but at least there was a sign saying dial 102 for emergencies.......he did this several times but no one answered! (Good job no one was dying) my husband then had to venture into the bar area, packed with clientele ,to find the manager.
Cutting a very long and boring story short.......my husband and I were late for our dinner arrangements and went out after having a stone cold shower.
The receptionist promised us that someone would contact us in a few days.........just an apology would have done ( I wasn't even looking for a reduction on the bill) but no one even bothered....... They are obviously short staffed and simply don't have the time for customer relations.
There are so many lovely places to stay in the Cotswolds, choose carefully to avoid disappointment.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
benfox76, General Manager at Sheep on Sheep Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

Dear beckff65

Thank you for your review, firstly may I apologise nobody got in touch with you that wasn't passed on to me and I will follow up with that.
I do apologise about your issues with the hot water on the first night, that was in fact the reason the shower had an issue the following night as the contractor called in to sort the sink problem left the hot water boiler switched off, I did explain this to your husband.
We are a restaurant with rooms and as such we do not have a 24 hour manned reception, however there is as your husband found always management presence easily available.
I do hope your dinner wasn't impacted too much - I did ring ahead for you and let them know you were running late.
Again please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a standard double room and we couldn't understand why this was only a 3 star hotel!

It became obvious the longer we spent there.

Staff- were on the whole very poor and lacked a lot of basic training on how to behave and treat customers; one guy in particular behind the bar was very 'familiar' and didn't hold back on complaining about how he didn't want to make cocktails, how expensive the prices were etc etc and clearly hated his job- he ignored clearing away glasses everytime we sat at the bar. Another night, another guy in the bar had a full on row with the supervisor as he didn't want to stay until 11, he was supposed to finish at 10 etc... At breakfast, the girl didn't know what time it was due to finish- "I think about 10?" (We'd been told 11). Upon checkout, there was no conversation- basically here's the bill, see ya! No attempt made to find out how the stay was. On the whole, very poor training.

Rooms
The room was clean and very well decorated- certainly has a wow factor! Unfortunately, the room we had was poorly insulated, therefore hearing every single creak from the room above. We were also woken up early by a very loud humming outside the room- I assume a generator? Also very loud pipes- one morning woken up by what I thought was a seagull, until I realised the people upstairs must be having a shower!!!

We only tried breakfast which was very good. Really great selection of freshly cooked to order dishes. There was also a continental offering. Only criticism here is that it was a little off putting by the flies buzzing around the fruit.

On the whole, we did enjoy our stay- Stow is a lovely place, the hotel is in a great location and it is very modern and comfortable. I hope they manage to iron out their 'teething' issues with their staff.

1  Thank DanielL906
benfox76, General Manager at Sheep on Sheep Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

Dear Daniel L

I am obviously very disappointed to read your review, particularly the comments regarding my team. I would be happy to discuss this further; my email is gm@thesheepstow.co.uk

Reviewed 10 August 2016

Since we heard about the new opening we really wanted to go and check this place out to see what the hype is and why it's different to any other. Even though we drove from Cheltenham, we were warmly greeted at the door as you would get in your local restaurant/bar. We were shown around the new building after we requested to do so and they made us feel very welcome. The actual décor is very impressive and it seems they have done this place for a very upmarket clientele but we realised it is accessible to all once we saw the menus. The food offered was absolutely fantastic, very well priced and chef legend Anthony’s name was written all over it. Some of the best food we have had in a while in fact. You must try the authentic pizza!! The drinks menu had a good variety, carefully chosen and catered for all ages, in our opinion. Once again very well priced as the offering is very much London style but with Stow-On-The-Wold price tag on it.

We must say they seemed to have listened to their customers and done very good market research before launching this place which is therefore bound to be a success. I hope they will keep this up so it will be worth our drive over from Cheltenham for a treat.

Last but not least we must mention the lovely staff who made the whole difference as they seemed genuinely happy and excited to work there (which is clearly reflected in the service you get). Despite the fact that I split my drink over Ben Fox’s suit jacket, he made me more feel more relaxed about it and offered a drink in return. What a gentleman to run this place!!

We haven’t seen their bedrooms yet but we can’t wait to try them at some point soon!

Date of stay: July 2016
1  Thank 668evef
benfox76, General Manager at Sheep on Sheep Street, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Hi Eve F

Thank you for the wonderful review....and honestly don't worry about the jacket; it was only orange juice!

See you again soon I hope.

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

This beautifully renovated hotel was comfortable, had really friendly and helpful staff plus gorgeous food. So pleased I booked a night here and well done to Lizzie who coped very calmly with a very busy breakfast where everyone (including us!) came down to breakfast at 9.30am!

Hi Louise H

Another mention for our wonderful Lizzie! We are so going to miss her when she goes to uni! Thank you for the fab review.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

The hotel is very clean at all times. The food is very good and caters for all tastes. The staff are all so friendly and helpful. This was our first break for 3 years, due to my wife having been in hospital. She has great difficulty in walking without help. One of the staff that saw her, would always come to help. Our best were Ashton, JENNY, Liz and Nick. They made our holiday. ,
Dave Evans
Hampshire

Room tip: Best at the back.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi devan84

Thank you for the lovely review, Ashton, Lizzie, Nicky and especially Jennie were very happy to read it.

Very Best