All reviews afternoon tea barnsley house beef wellington wine list beautiful hotel roll top bath sister hotel scotch egg little touches calcot manor upstairs bar cod cocktail bar nespresso machine spa treatments scones madeleines
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary and enjoyed our stay immensely. The atmosphere in the hotel was relaxed and with a real focus on customer service to support what you want from your stay. The rooms are comfortable, well equipped and spacious - we stayed in a medium. Overnight was an oasis of silence! Dinner in the restaurant was excellent with high quality food and an efficient but friendly service. There are well equipped communal rooms to use during the stay. Another nice touch was the use of non standard signs in the room - counting sheep rather than do not disturb. We had no problem with parking but it is limited. If stairs are a concern it would be wise to consult the hotel before booking as being a hotel with character it has plenty! Highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
TheCalcotCollection, General Manager at The Painswick, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Michael

Thank you for your lovely review and pleased you had an enjoyable anniversary stay with us.

Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 September 2018

My wife and I spent our wedding night here in 1988 and decided to return for our 30th anniversary, having read some very positive reviews since it changed ownership recently.

As the time approached, the hotel sent me some carefully crafted reminder emails, designed to make us feel welcome. For example, the warning about the narrow roads '.. opt for the mini and leave the land rover at home..' - a theme that was evident throughout the hotel. In fact, every member of staff appeared to go out of their way to make us comfortable, and nothing was too much trouble.

Our room (Hawkers) was well-appointed and large, the bed was soooo comfortable! There was a complimentary half bottle of champagne waiting for us also.

Painswick itself is a beautiful village, although plagued somewhat by the curse of the motor car, and some of the roads are a little on the tight side. No noise whatsoever to disturb our sleep.

We ate in the restaurant 2 out of 3 nights. The menu is quite short but everything we had was first-rate.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Painswick. It's a little on the pricey side, but perhaps that's normal for the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be good, although we were advised about possible noise in the room above the restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Eldromo

Thank you for the review and I am pleased you enjoyed all the personal touches, the team will be thrilled to read this.

It was lovely that you could celebrate your anniversary at the same place you spend your wedding night and hopefully we can welcome you back for future celebrations!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

After a great stay a couple of years ago, we booked the same room for two nights stay. I guess we must have been lucky the first time.

On this occasion we were kept awake by noises from the bathroom of the adjoining room. It's a design problem - the head of the bed in "Doverte Brook" is seperated from the bathroom of "Elcombe Brook" by a noise-transparent plasterboard wall (see photo). We moved to another room for our second night, which was blissfully quiet. Until staff started talking in the yard below at 8am. Oh well. Perhaps I've stayed in too many silent Premier Inn rooms.

The food was a tale of two halves. Sunday dinner and Monday breakfast were just OK. Monday dinner and Tuesday breakfast were excellent.

It's all a little bit too expensive to be that inconsistent.

Room Tip: Avoid Doverte Brook if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Traveller Tom

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as your last trip.

if you are looking to visit again in the future do let me know so we can organise a suitable room, I would normally advice the 2nd or 3rd floor if noise is a concern.

Best Wishes

leah.warren@thepainswick.co.uk

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

The restaurant has a great style and has an energetic vibe when we went. The hotel is amazing and I day again...great style!
Our meal was above average and the Octopus I had was actually amazing!
However...i was not too impressed by the servive at the start of our evening. It seemed to take about 15 minutes before we were approached for our wine order.
The staff although busy didn't seem to have a passion for the job and were a bit cold.
That said..i would reccomend a visit to the Painswick and just hope that that was an off night. The village is lovely and the hotel is awesome.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Austin

Thank you for the balanced feedback and pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and our style.

I sorry that you did not experience our service at its best, this certainly isn't our usual standards and with a relevantly new team we are making training our priority.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

This was a one nights stay that I had booked for a family visit and required two rooms. We stayed here as we had booked Rush Skate park in Stroud and I wanted a quality hotel nearby as a base.
Well I couldn't have chosen a better hotel. The welcome was great and all of the staff were very attentive, unlike the staff in the Randolph Hotel in Oxford where we were heading the following day. I wish we had stayed at the Painswick for the whole long weekend that I had planned.
The rooms were lovely, the cocktails were fabulous and the food was some of the best I've ever eaten. Breakfast was also superb and I would consider travelling to this area just to experience The Painswick hotel again.
They must work very hard on their customer experience and it shows. Like all things that have a lot of hard work behind them, it felt effortless. Well done to all of the staff at the Painswick, hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
TheCalcotCollection, General Manager at The Painswick, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Hello Daniel

Thank you for your review and pleased you had a great stay!

Fingers crossed you can visit us again in the future.