“Best Service and Food in Rye”
Review of The Ambrette Rye

The Ambrette Rye
Get food delivered
Ranked #72 of 106 Restaurants in Rye
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband has a number of food allergies and the head chef at this place made a point of chatting to us regarding the allergies. He made sure that every thing was prepared to cater for the allergies. The chef is really switched on and does the most amazing and tasteful food. The cuisine and the service at this restaurant is the very best. If you are staying in Rye this is a must.

3  Thank ivorp632
The Ambrette R, General Manager at The Ambrette Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Ivor and Robert ,

Thanks so much for visiting The Ambrette at Rye . We're so pleased you enjoyed your experience. It's really inspiring to get such a wonderful affirmation and feedback on what we do. Your review has been shared with our head chef who is our star in delivering superior dining experience. Please let us know when you visit us again so that we give you a more intriguing experience.

Kind regards,
The Ambrette Team

Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed 18 August 2021

Steve M is spot on. We should have walked straight out when we saw the place was almost empty on a Saturday, and the menu offerings were far less than advertised online.

The food was ok, but portions are so small as to be insulting. Salad garnish (4 postage stamp sized bits of leaf) looked as if it had decorated several other tiny starters before my one and a half cauliflower florets. The thali was even meaner! Only a mini portion of dhal with (I checked) 2 small leaves of spinach, stodgy spoonful of potato, a bit of unappetising rice, half a stale poppadom and a little bit of bread. No sign of the 2 or 3 curries you normally get, let alone chutney or salad. I know restaurants are having a hard time, but charging £22.95 for what I had might be the reason people were staying away in droves?

5  Thank Teddyji
Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Absolutely amazing, a lovely infusion of flavours, spot on. Compliments to the Chef. Staff was lovely and very helpful.

1  Thank Maxine N

Dear Maxine ,

many thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback following your recent visit to The Ambrette at Rye.

We were all happy to see that you enjoyed your visit and feedback like yours motivates us to work hard to exceed our guests’ expectations every day.

Sincerely yours,
The Ambrette Team

Reviewed 12 August 2021

My GF and I booked this as we were staying in rye, for a well earned Sat night away.
We arrived on time, but waited in reception until we had to catch someone's eye to be seated.
I am allergic to nuts, but eat in every restaurant imaginable, and never have any issues including Indian, and Thai.
Menu stated what dishes may hsve nuts and there were choices thst seemed OK.
Waitress arrived to take a drinks order, then came back to tske order, but no drinks.. She asked if we had allergies which we informed her, she went away and got I presume was a lady manager, who informed us all dishes had nuts and nothing would be suitable, gobsmacked we pointed out dishes thst would be according to menu.. Of which she still insisted we wouldn't be able to eat... Then chef came out, explaining thst everything was cooked using nuts.. Although menu does not point it out.. He said he had a mitchelin star, so I asked him to mske me something to which he replied, he could muster Plain chicken and rice.. What a joke!!!... We walked out in disgust, rude staff not even an apology.. And strangely my GF has since messaged them regarding allergys, of which they said it wouldn't be a problem... Agsin a joke!!... Luckily we stubbed accros hoof in rye who were fully booked, but explained what happened and they squeezed us in.... I have eaten in major top restaurants around the world and have never been treated like this..

6  Thank Steve M
Ambrette K, Owner at The Ambrette Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I do hope that genuine customers will see through this spiteful review that has been posted in dozens of locations under different names. (please see other tripadvisor reviews by ie "katebmumof3" to mention a few)

All our menus state that we are "unable to alter dishes to meet individual dietary needs" It also states that due to the fact that we handle, store and use nuts in our kitchens, there is a risk that all our dishes may contain traces of nuts. You informed our staff to "just take the risk" I am sorry but this is criminal law and our staff will not "take risks" with customers reporting "serious allergies" as you did on your visit.

All our staff receive allergen and food hygiene awarded certification. We receive unannounced inspections from environmental health regarding allergen control.

It is criminal law that if you handle, use and store nuts in the same location as nut free dishes you must inform the customer that the food will not be suitable for those with serious allergies even if those dishes do not contain nuts. Apologies that we followed the law on this matter.

Reviewed 26 July 2021 via mobile

Amazing roast dinner and the best desserts we ever tried in England !!! Fantastic experience!! We’ll be back !!! Thank you!!!

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank hasanpatrick
The Ambrette R, General Manager at The Ambrette Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2021

Dear Hasanpatrick ,
The team and I are grateful to receive such warm comments referring to your latest visit to Ambrette at Rye . Our roast, desserts and service seems to have all met your expectations and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience every step of the way.

It is with great pleasure that I will share your mentions to our chefs , who work hard every day to deliver an outstanding service. It will no doubt brighten their day!

We can not wait to welcome you back to our restaurant on another great occasion.

Regards,