See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Room 5 was good despite the scaffolding outside the window.
Clean and presentable but could be improved!
Close to beach front and kemptown bars and restaurants
Good breakfast
Value for money was fine, does what it says!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

The staff here are some of the best I have ever met, the hotel is conveniently located in the city centre and not far from the train station when travelling by bus. But the hotel could do with a lot of upgrading. Most things are very old and the rooms and bathrooms are not fresh.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Great Position Nr Sea Front, close to Night Clubs and Restaurants, friendly staff and a great breakfast, reasonable rates. I Always return to this friendly Hotel when in Brighton. A Hotel close to all the action that you could wish for, but Ideal to return to for a peace full nights sleep.

Room Tip: Front Rooms Overlook the Steyne
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

We booked the Ambassador for the Brighton Marathon weekend as it was dog friendly and available (we booked quite late for this very busy event weekend but my husband was running the marathon!) I only read reviews a few weeks ago and was a bit concerned about what to expect. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! Nick was extremely helpful and pleasant before and during our stay, even offered to keep our dog with him when we went out for dinner (we actually found dog friendly restaurants so there was no need). Our room was clean and comfortable if a bit tight for space-main beds really comfy, camp bed not and had to get an extra duvet to put on mattress so my daughter couldn't feel the springs. Breakfast was really good with lots of choice including fresh fruit, porridge, smoked salmon, and local sausages/eggs/bacon etc - our dog was even treated to a sausage one morning. Yes, the decor is dated and worn, but it didn't affect our stay. If I was going to complain about one thing, it would be the inflated cost for this particular weekend and I wouldn't pay it again.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2017

My sister and I booked this hotel as it was the only one we could find with a twin bed that was available for the night we wanted and was not very expensive. Well firstly the position is very good within easy walking distance to most places. The outside of the hotel was covered in scaffolding and green netting at the time we visited. The staff were polite and we were shown to our room through lots of fire doors and up many flights of stairs to the very top. Our room must have been a family room as there was one single bed and one double one. We did have a sea view but couldn't see much through the scaffolding. It was incredibly hot as the radiator was on with no valves that we could turn down so we opened the window.... well the only one that would open as the others were painted shut. The bedding was white and clean and the towels were white and fluffy but that was the only good thing about the room. The carpet was grubby and heavily worn and the furniture was miss-matched and worn. There was no cupboard for hanging any clothes only some drawers but I wasn't convinced they would be clean. The bathroom was a tiny one with a shower cubicle and no lock on the sliding door which wouldn't stay completely shut, once again it didn't look very clean. The shower was a joke and would only let out a trickle if the shower head was held almost on the bottom of the shower, the water came out very hot but when I tried to add cold it stopped altogether. There was evidence that the room had been painted recently but it was a boring colour and an area was blistering probably from a leak. We assumed the radiator would not be on when we returned for the night but when we got back it was piping hot so we had to leave the window open all night. We couldn't mention it to the staff as we were back very late. We didn't hold out much hope for a decent breakfast but we were surprised to find the tables laid with clean white tablecloths and we were offered a selection of juices and tasty cooked items that were freshly cooked and brought to us. With a major clean and internal overhaul including some brighter paint and something of interest on the walls this B&B has the potential to be a nice boutique style hotel as there were some nice touches, including a box of tissues in the room and thick toilet paper! We would not stay there again and in it's current state we would not recommend it either.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family