2,102 results
All reviews sea front both mornings weekend break comfy bed a sea view room cooked breakfast full english pier staircase
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I appreciate that we have had a heatwave, and that the hotel are unable to put aircon in rooms, but to just equip a room with a desk fan is completely inadequate. The room was incredibly hot our whole stay. The shower didn't drain, and there were only 2 plug sockets in the room. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. The only positive is the location.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Tanya G
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Thank you for your review after your recent stay and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. The country is in the middle of a heat wave and the temperatures are higher than normal. As an older building with the electrics being installed prior to the amount of electrical good we all currently carry. The company are aware of this and will resolve the issue with adding additional USB sockets during the pending refurbishment. Our pricing is competitive within the market place.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

After a stressful few weeks at work myself and my boyfriend were looking forward to a night away to relax. We were so disappointed. Not worth the money paid. We paid for a classic room to be given the room which was a disabled adapted room. The bath room was dire and no better than what you would find in Public toilet. Hair dryer didn’t work. Such a shame.

1  Thank sehill86
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. The accessible rooms have all the features of our Classic rooms however the bathroom has been adapted for accessibility. If you had let us know you hairdryer did not work a replacement would have been brought to you.

I am sorry you did not like being allocated an adapted room.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Spent two nights in a room in the mews section of the hotel. Lovely coffee machine, although had to ask both days for refill pods, huge bed too. Main issue was the heat in the room. When we popped the portable fan on it spewed a year's worth of dust and dirt onto the bed! When showering in the morning, the shower gel had warmed up so much it was like lathering soup. Breakfast was nice overlooking the sea.

The most annoying part of the weekend was parking. On the first night we paid for both days in the car park. We went for a drive and when we returned there were no spaces. The receptionist seemed harassed but we were directed to the NCP round the corner, despite having already paid! It was cheaper than the price of the hotel. We parked at 18:00 and left at 10:30 for £9.50.

My sister, her husband, my bro and his wife had two rooms that were equivalent to the horror stories you can read on here already. At least they were cooler than ours. The chap in the bar was embarrassed that a glass of wine cost £9, and gave the squirt of soda water for free. Staff in the breakfast room were effective, happily refilling my water bottle.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I cannot comment on your relations bedrooms as I do not know what style of room they booked. Car Parking is limited and on a first come first served basis. We have the cheapest parking of the seafront hotels who have this facility available. A glass of wine starts at £6 and depends on which wine you purchase and size of measure. Our bar prices are in line with the market.

I apologise we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Building and hotel rooms were very run down and in desperate need of a revamp. I understand this is currently in the works, however, for the current price that people are being charged the facilities on offer are quite disappointing.
Considering there is no aircon, which I understand is not something they advertise, it would be nice to be able to open the windows more than a couple of centimetres to allow some airflow through the room. My room came with a small desk fan which I think is a great thing to have but when the room is as hot as it was the fan was really only pushing the hot air around and made very little difference. I found it really quite uncomfortable being in the room.
The room was moderately clean.
Breakfast had a good variety of options but was average quality at best.
Service from staff was average.
Great location.
All in all, I feel the hotel did not reach the standard I would expect from a hotel of that price and I was very disappointed.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Morgan W
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you for your review and yes we are currently planning our refurbishment which will start soon however we price with this in mind. The hotel is a grade two listed building in a conservation area so we cannot get planning permission for air conditioning. The windows have a restrictor on them which is a health and safety requirement. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for my partners birthday weekend and was very disappointed. After spending £171 for just the room I expected a lot more. The room was tiny, the shower wasn't working and the knob on the shower was cracked. The location is perfect but that's about it. It stated on booking.com that parking was free within my booking only to be told it's not free and it's £18 for 1 night!! My partner and I got back to the car and found a letter stating that our car would be clamped if we didn't pay immediately! Staff are also stubborn and quite rude. I wouldn't stay here unless you would want to be ripped off.

1  Thank Tiff-97b

Thank you for your comments and I apologise we did not meet your expectations. However you booked a compact double room which are smaller than our standard rooms and priced appropriately. Parking is limited and on a first come first serve basis. The price is competitive in the area and the cheapest of all seafront hotels who offer this facility. I am sorry you feel you were ripped off and you found the staff stubborn and I will discuss your comments with my Operations Manager