2,105 results
All reviews sea front both mornings weekend break comfy bed a sea view room cooked breakfast full english pier staircase
Reviewed 2 May 2018

I have used this hotel regularly when on business in the area, the main reason for coming back to this hotel have been the sea views (if you don't mind paying the extra) and the central location. However my last two visits to this hotel have seen standards decline. There are some nice bedrooms but there are quite a few substandard rooms too, so be careful when booking your room. As I was only staying one night I decided to book a standard double room which frankly was a big mistake. The room was small and there was very little room to get past the base of the bed and dressing table. The noise transference between the next bedroom and the communal corridor was terrible and it was possible to hear every movement. Which was made worse by the internal fire door being opened and slamming shut every time someone walked through it. The shower worked ok and there was an iron and toiletries available in the bedroom. My bedroom was located around the back by the entrance of the car park which was very noisy and I was woken quite early by traffic outside my window.
The restaurant has a very limited menu and the bar prices quite expensive so I have always opted to find a restaurant or bar in the centre of Brighton. I was charged £18 a day to park my car which is very expensive and there are cheaper options elsewhere. The staff are normally very friendly and helpful but during my recent visit I found a few staff arguing and bickering amongst themselves in the reception area.
Overall I would always ask for a privilege bedroom but always check the cost against other hotels in the area. Avoid the restaurant and if possible park your car elsewhere.

Room Tip: See my review for details
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2018

First impressions were awful. Peeling paint, dirty woodwork, filthy windows, surly reception staff, dirty sticky carpet. It just continued in this vein. It truly is an unpleasant hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank LesleyMann
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Hotel badly needs updating, rooms ok but bathroom needs renovating. Ordered a pizza from room service and there was a £5 delivery charge! Room was only about 1 minute walk from bar, complete rip off, please change that!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank GraemeWillis
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our room service charges are highlighted on our room service directory. The hotel will be updated later this year.

Iain Lindsay

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Pro's: Friendly staff. Nice breakfast buffet. Good sea views. Close to The Meeting Place cafe and Angel of Peace monument. Close to the highly rated The Gingerman restaurant and The Lion and Lobster pub. 5 minute walk to the i360 observation tower. Nice firm beds with a variety of pillows. Small soap, shampoo and shower gel provided. Shower over bath tub. Tea an coffee making via an electric kettle. Iron and ironing board provided.

Con's: Slow service when asking for another cup of coffee at breakfast. Long walk to the Pier and the Lanes shopping area. The Mews rooms are very small. Lighting very dim in the bedroom. Hotel lifts are small and slow. Noisy at night due to doors closing in the hallway. No hair conditioner or body moisturiser provided. No shower curtain causing bathroom floor to be wet. Very limited TV and radio channels. No sea views from the mews rooms. Rooms can become very warm due to no a/c (fan provided). No room safe or fridge.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Yes it was dated but I believe there is a major refurbishment due in the autumn. Room was quite small but ok, the shower was reasonable but it filled up with water as the plug was jammed in.
Breakfast was included and again was ok, all in all everything was just ok! Nothing much to moan about or praise it.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
GMBrighton, General Manager at Mercure Brighton Seafront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Thank you for your review and yes we are currently planning the refurbishment of the hotel. I am sorry your felt your stay was just Ok and hopefully you will return and experience a wow factor.

Iain Lindsay