“Fantastic!”
Review of The Elephant

The Elephant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Elephant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 366 Restaurants in Torquay
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Elephant is a bright, informal restaurant which overlooks the beautiful Torbay harbour. It was the first restaurant in Torquay to be awarded a Michelin star which it maintains today. We aim to source all our ingredients locally and sustainably, many from our dedicated farm in Brixham. Please feel free to ask our front of house team about anything you are unsure of. Run by chef proprietor, Simon Hulstone and his wife Katy. Food is cooked by a talented team of chefs and served by friendly, professional team of staff. Diners can enjoy a delicious à la carte menu and set menus featuring local and sustainable fish, meat and vegetables, sourced from the surrounding area, in an informal and attractive setting. For an extra special culinary treat opt for the tasting menu. Expect friendly and knowledegable service without the formalities. All our dishes change regularly depending on which locally grown and reared (many sourced from our dedicated farm) ingredients are at their best.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

A super experience at The Elephant, not once but twice over the last couple of weeks. First time was with a guest Chef Daniel Clifford and the 2nd was for Simons food. I enjoyed both experiences, but have to say that I enjoyed the 2nd visit much more.

Food was excellent, great flavours and everything so beautifully cooked. You could tell that so much effort had gone into the menu and it all worked together excellently - my beef was beyond superb!

Service was excellent, totally on point and not in the slightest bit stuffy or pretentious.

Highly recommend!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to the Elephant as a birthday treat. We had the tasting menu with paired wine. The food was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The staff were attentive and friendly. A real treat - highly recommended!

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

They’ve moved the fine dining restaurant down to the ground floor which is a shame as we loved the look and feel of the grand wood panelled upper floor room. The downstairs room just doesn’t have the feel of a fine dining establishment - it needs help with the decor. If I’m paying serious money for food, I want the place to make me feel like I’ve come somewhere that takes its food seriously.
Having said all that, the food was absolutely delicious. A simple looking main fish dish turned cartwheels on my palate. Scallop starter very good and cooked spot on.
Please get the ambience right downstairs and this restaurant will be top dog in Torquay.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

We relocated from London last year where there are more restaurants than you can shake a stick at, and more opening every day! Imagine our delight when we discovered that just ten minutes from our new front door was a restaurant that, in our opinion, not only matches anything you can find in the capital, but bests most. The Michelin star flags clearly that you're in for a treat, but it's the lack of pomposity that you often find in 'fine dining' establishments which makes every minute spent here such a pleasure. And the great food that comes out of the kitchen just adds to that enjoyment. The other great thing is that every time we go we ask ourselves is this the best value Michelin Star restaurant in the UK? We think it might well be. Long may it continue so. Lucky Torquay to have such a gem. The only draw back? It's so popular you do need to book early.

1  Thank Reception M
Reviewed 18 April 2018

I had a wonderful three course meal here, the staff were brilliant and very friendly. Their recommendations were also spot on! The food was delicious, although it would have been nice to have a bigger portion as it was so lovely. I'd definitely recommend the chocolate torte as it was fantastic. It is a pricey restaurant but I'd come back again!

1  Thank RSO_1993