All reviews orchid restaurant sea view the penthouse sister hotel livermead house three star first class high standard course dinner dining room room was large bit dated nothing too much trouble one night stay couldn't do enough thoroughly enjoyed our stay my mum
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I did not read the reviews for this hotel until after I had booked it for 2 nights. if I had I may not have booked it. The first night was on a Red Letter Day voucher then adding an extra night ourselves, we upgraded it to a partial side sea view. On arrival it turns out the booking office forgot to advise the Hotel of the upgrade so we were upgraded to a full sea view.

The Room
It was a lovely large room with a most spectacular view over the bay to Torquay,
The bed was really comfortable with spotlessly clean bedding. The curtains had blackout blinds attached so that the early morning sun did not disturb you.
The towels were clean, fluffy and good quality.
There was 2 armchairs and a table . Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. plus a flat screen TV.
OK, The pillows could do with replacing as they were flat and needed a valance on the bed base , the lampshades had seen better days and it needed a new loo brush but it wasnt anything as bad as some people had written about.

The staff were really friendly, pleasant and helpful.

The food was lovely, well cooked and very well presented.

The centre of Torquay is a 15/20 minute stroll along the seafront.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I read some pretty poor reviews on this hotel after booking and arrived with trepidation. It is a typical uk 3☆ yes it was in need of updating but it wae clean and comfortable. The room was spacious by 3☆ standards with a great sea view. The staff were very friendly and the food, whilst being limited, was of a good standard. I understand the hotel is due to be replaced by apartments . Pity, this location is perfect , but foreign ownership wll just look to maximise the profit and run.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I went here with my partner for a weekend break but was very disappointed. The hotel is really run down and in desperate need of a revamp! Everything was outdated and I found it to be very grubby. The carpets throughout looked really dirty, furniture I would have thrown out years ago and the beds were ripped and badly stained and due to this I slept on top of the bed and hardly got any sleep due to the noise outside, you could hear everything as the windows were not double glazed.There are no lifts and due to my disability I struggled to get to the room which was up 3 seperate flights of stairs. Reception area very uninviting, worn down carpets, a leather settee that was all grubby, worn and cracked, it looked very dinghy. Balcony area in room in desperate need of make over, glittering all broke, paintwork flaking away, rust everywhere and cracked glass on both of the safety barriers. Only good thing to say is there was a lovely view from the balcony overlooking the sea. As for breakfast was just ok. For the price we paid i was expecting a lot better and unfortunately I won't be returning after this visit.

2  Thank Christine R
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and thank god it was only one night ,the first room we were given was unclean,mouldy and had a hole in the ceiling also equipped with woolly blankets on the bed. After we complained we were given room 1 which faced the see unfortunately u could not open the window on a hot day as it had a dangerous cracked window which had been cracked for some time as the do not open sign was old and faded .
The bed was old and ripped and fit for the skip along with having a tv in a strange place u couldn't even watch. There were so many basic unchecked room faults including a shower u had to hold while u showered broken sockets and lights.
Breakfast was cooked to order which was fine although we were told that only one piece of toast is allowed per person .
On trying to get a drink at 10.40 we were met with a stressed bar person who's only interest was cashing up and going home we felt her attitude was less than friendly .
The best thing is the location over the bay I expect one day it will be luxury flats Built there , the best thing here is the receptionist,she is very helpful and friendly and at times I feel she was embarrassed on how bad things are .
We won't be returning here unless a major refurb is carried out

1  Thank nick l
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Place is closing down to be torn down, don’t bother staff and magements Hart is no longer in it RIP . Has not been the same since Changing ownership the same group that bought the Palace holtel And is allowing it too crumble.

Stayed: July 2018