All reviews front facing shearings holiday dining room small lift shearings hotels self drive feeder coach large trees big wheel facing room our waiter fourth floor evening meal swimming pool sea view prime position coach driver
Reviewed 7 October 2015

We stayed here for 2 nights on a Shearings Taster weekend. The food and restaurant staff were very good. The room and bathroom were very nice, we didn't expect a sea view but a grotty flat roof view was a bit disappointing. We had 2 flights of stairs to our room but that wasn't a problem for us. The position of the hotel on the sea-front cannot be faulted.
I was looking forward to using the indoor swimming pool- that was a waste of time! The shallow end 2'6" and the deep end 4' - you are able to swim from half-way, 4 strokes and you're at the end- I gave up after 10 mins. They may as well call it a paddling pool! I queried the depth at Reception, they can't have it any deeper as it is on the 1st floor over the ballroom - so why have one at all? Save on maintenance and put something else in!

Room Tip: Ours was 221 right at the end - no view. Pay for an upgrade
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
SimonwMurray1, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2015

Hi Linda S and thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us at the Torbay. I am sorry if you weren't as satisfied as we would have liked you to be and I will check on the information you were given regarding the swimming pool, as the depth is a Health and safety requirement now, to avoid any potential accident not the location of the pool itself, although it is in my opinion long enough for a good swim if that's required. On a positive note I am glad that you enjoyed the food, service and the room that you stayed in. we do have front facing rooms if that is something you'd be interested in, you could check at time of booking. Hopefully if you return to Torquay you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 October 2015

We were quietly celebrating our 50 Wedding Anniversary with our best friends. Thank you Torbay we had a really good time. Entertainment was excellent on Friday and Saturday and the host Nigel was as ever a great host,so nice to have music for dancing.Disappointing to have no entertainment on Sunday however. Dinner on Friday wasnt so good Chicken Provencal was a lukewarm poached chicken breast with,honestly, a teaspoon of cold tomato puree on the
side, sorry Chef that is NOT Chicken Provencal no courgette,onion or rich tomato sauce in fact no sauce at all!!To be fair on the following 2 evenings dinner was good and breakfasts were very good.Our room onthe 4th floor was very comfortable, clean with a spacious bathroom. Great stay.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

Hi dancingqueensdorset2 - great name :) and thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am pleased that your 50th Wedding was spent with us and that you were well looked after while you were here. Nigel is an excellent host and an asset to us, so I am glad he was his usual 'entertaining' self. I will look into your comments regarding the Friday meal, as we hope that all meals are enjoyed by our guests. Good to hear that everything else helped make your weekend special and we look forward to seeing you once again in the near future

Reviewed 5 October 2015

We had an absolutely great time, the room/rooms in our case were lovely, clean and plenty of room, a walk in shower, flat TV, not that we had it on much, too busy doing our own thing. It was overlooking the Marina although some of the view was hidden by trees, but good nonetheless. We could not fault the rooms. The food was excellent and a really good choice. Plenty of seating in the lounge area, although we didn't bother with the entertainment there was some. So I can't comment on the quality of that.The staff were really helpful if needed. Our waitress was Pilia (table 47)hope I have spelt her name right, she was Spanish and nothing was too much trouble for her, very helpful, we had a good laugh. She was delightful. The hotel was in a perfect spot for the Marina, buses and shops. We had a walk every night around the Marina to walk our evening meal off. A really wonderful holiday all round. Would recommend the hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Room 318, a little noise from traffic in the late evening but it did not bother us. It didn't keep me awake.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valerie C
SimonwMurray1, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2015

Hi Valerie C and thank you for your review of your stay with us at the Torbay. I am really glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your holiday. I do agree with you, and it is often mentioned that we are in a great location in Torquay. It is also wonderful to hear that you liked your room, food and the service you received from Pilla in the restaurant. She will be happy to read that you enjoyed the service that she provided to you. I shall pass on your positive comments to her and the rest of the team and I hope that we see you again in the near future

Reviewed 30 September 2015

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at this hotel, both times we have upgraded on our room, and cannot complain about them, this time we also paid for a
front facing room but, we had two minor complaints ( if this what you can call it)
One was we looked straight out onto trees and the noise from the road.
I see a previous comment on the restaurant but we have no complaints about this, food yes was average but nothing to complain about, service at our table was good and quick our waitresses name was Christina very polite and efficient as was all the staff I came in contact with.

Our room was always clean and had recently, I guess had just been refurbished, I would liked to have seen coat hooks on the wall as there was nowhere to hang outside coats as the wardrobe was taken up by our other clothes, and I did mention this at the time to the duty managers at the time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be a bit noisy as it is on a main road
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
SimonwMurray1, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2015

HiThe Ramblers66, and thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at the Torbay. It is great to read that on both your holidays here we have looked after you once again. Our newly refurbished bedrooms are very popular and I am pleased that you enjoyed the one you were in. Unfortunately it can get a little noisy being on the sea front on occasion, but I hope it did not disturb your sleep. The front facing views, while facing the promenade where trees are in full bloom, but they are light and airy rooms.Christina will be pleased to know that she served you well enough to get a mention and we look forward to your next visit to us sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2015

Stayed here beginning of September for 4 days.Payed extra for a front facing room which faced THE TREES.The room was enormous but very dated and tired and bed super uncomfortable.The dining is an experience,we were sat with 2 other complete strangers on the first day,then we requested our own table which we then found someone sat there the next day so we just sat where ever there was a table for 2 as i suspect others are doing,service for breakfast and dinner was very slow the lift is a joke and the bar needs decent beers behind it.Paid the fiver a day for parking which seemed fair,but would not recommend this hotel to anyone and shall not return...not ever.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary M
SimonwMurray1, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Hi Gary M, thanks you for taking the time to post of review. We get so many positive reviews from guests who like what we have to offer, so it is disappointing that you did not find the Torbay as enjoyable as so many others. I will look into the comments regarding the restaurant and table allocations, as this situation does not usually occur.