All reviews roll top bath lovely wedding premier room wedding breakfast devon countryside country house wedding reception exclusive use beautiful hotel wembury beach clotted cream coastal path sunday lunch wedding party large bathroom four poster bed relaxing stay
Reviewed 9 October 2018

A very enjoyable two night stay, taking advantage of the discounted Sunday night. We wanted somewhere peaceful to stay that was dog friendly and within a short distance from Plymouth. We couldn’t be happier with our choice. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, keen to make sure our stay was enjoyable. We stayed in a premier room which had a very large bed, sofa and en suite with roll top bath and pretty views overlooking the Renaissance garden. The dogs were even greeted with a bed and a bowl of treats each. The peaceful location, with garden and grounds to explore were perfect for the dogs and only a 25min walk through the woods down to Wembury Cove and the coastal path. Both the bar and restaurant served very tasty food with a good wine choice, steak cooked to perfection, burgers to drool over, an impressive High Tea and a good breakfast! The rooms and hotel are very tastefully decorated and furnished, but some areas looked like they’d had a busy summer season so were in need of a spring clean and paint brush. This did not distract from our stay in this lovely historic country house and we would certainly visit again and recommend to friends and family.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed for one night. It’s in a lovely quiet location. Check in was quick. Our room small and very plain, no artwork. The paintwork on the ceiling was peeling. The bed a little soft for my liking but okay, a kettle and tea and coffee provided. The bathroom had a good shower and clean towels. The room could have been cleaned better, lots of cobwebs and bugs around the window. We noticed that some of the areas around the hotel also needed a good clean. It’s a really shame the hotel has lots of period features they just need to smarten it up. The breakfast was adequate, a small selection of cereals but lovely yoghurts were very good. The cooked breakfast was also nice.
It’s a real shame it has so much potential, just needs a smarten up.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2018

Great family run place in a stunning location and great food and drink. Will go back again and again. The staff are polite and helpful and the rooms are A1. Superb as a wedding venue in the Devon countryside. Highly recommended.

Room tip: Room 25 very nice
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Nice secluded hotel with pretty grounds. My room was clean and tidy. With ample space. I would normally stay in chain hotels but wanted a change of wallpaper. Pleasantly surprised. Free breakfast but I didn’t take it on the day.

I’d go back without hesitation!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank andch65
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We were so excited to have a night away child free for our 7 year anniversary - first time in over a year! We booked a £200 room. Around half 6 my partner had a shower, the hot water quickly turned cold, so off I went down to reception as the phone in our room didn’t work either. The duty manager said he would reset the boiler but nothing could be done about the phone. After an hour still no hot water so again went down to reception, duty manager came to our room to see for himself, he then said he would restart boiler again. By half 8 and numerous of times chasing the staff to do something the duty manager came and knocked on our door to say he’s called someone out to look at it, by this point I’m fed up, he offered to fully refund us and we could go home, or a reduced price on the room (£70 back) we agreed the reduction after our water was sorted by half 9!! Not exactly the romantic night in we had planned!!
The next morning we went down to check out and get our refund (they charge you as you check in) the girl on the desk knew nothing about it although there was clearly a minus £70 on our check out bill, was told there was no management in the building and the owner Geoffrey would ring me when he got in an hour later. We reluctantly left!
5 hours later and no phone call I decided to ring myself. I asked to speak to Geoffrey. Jeeeeez, this man is rude! He was shouting down the phone at me basically calling me s liar ( although his manager had witnessed the cold water) he slagged off this manager to me saying he was new and didn’t have authority to compensate. I tried to explain that wasn’t my problem and I had been promised a reduction. Geoffrey said he needed to speak to this manager and would honour the refund. He was due to ring me back later that day. It is now nearly 2 weeks later, every time I ring the hotel I’m told he is not there and he will ring me back! I’m disgusted with how we have been treated, and how much we paid for a night away chasing the staff at this hotel! The owner needs a few lessons in customer service - I pity anyone having a wedding here and having to deal with him!
Won’t be returning - and currently advising as many people as I can not to go here!

Date of stay: August 2018