All reviews roll top bath wedding breakfast lovely wedding exclusive use wedding reception clotted cream manor house wembury beach national trust beautiful hotel coastal path sunday lunch large room four poster bed superior room lovely room stayed one night
Reviewed 1 May 2018

My wife and I wanted to find a boutique style hotel (at fairly short notice) for a Friday night break on our journey down to Cornwall, that would be a little treat for us both. Having stayed nearby many years ago, we looked for hotels on the web and chanced on the Langdon Court.

We phoned lateish on the Wednesday and spoke to a very friendly lady who confirmed they had a room available, so we plumped for a dinner bed and breakfast package. I asked how much dinner allowance was included and she was unsure - this uncertainty about the offer is my only gripe, as the Hotel itself turned out to be a gem.

Langdon House is the sort of unique, West Country House hotel that one imagines must exist, but is never sure where! Tucked away in a little dell, the building is very old, but utterly charming.

The staff welcomed us with warmth and professionalism and we were instantly made to feel at home. The room was large and lovely, with a really nice feel to it.

We went to the Bar and the barman/sommelier was the epitome of professionalism, enthusiasm and friendliness, we were really well looked after. We ordered our meal before moving into the dining room and were impressed by the menu, but when the food came it exceeded everything we expected from a small family run hotel. Wow, what a wonderful experience!

If you are the sort of person who is only happy when your plate is overladen with "wholesome fayre", then you might not be impressed, but if you appreciate really excellent dining where the emphasis is on flavour, quality and the experience as a whole, then you will really enjoy the menu and the excellent food they create.

We did not have the 7 course tasting menu but it looked impressive and good value, but what we did have was washed down with an excellent Uruguayan Red recommended by the sommelier who really knew his stuff.

We are always happy to give praise where praise is due, and the Langdon Court definitely deserves that. Yes, the building is old and some of it’s fabric may need a little repair or two, but when you consider it’s age and the cost of maintaining any country house of this nature, then you can forgive the odd bit of paint or wood that has seen better days.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel and it met our needs completely. Based on our experience, we would be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Easy to find on internet a joy from the start. Staff were excellent food delicious. An expensive but worthwhile place, we were looked after from the moment we arrived with drinks bought to us. Cannot fault this hotel/restaurant make sure staff are aware of dietary issues as you order and they will accommodate your dietary issues without a problem. loved this visit immensely will certainly be visiting again in the near future.

Room Tip: I Only ate in restaurant
Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We love Langdon Court, it's our absolute local favourite for a classy lunch or dinner with fabulous, friendly service, great dining, wining, and also great for a stay, it's all super, we cannot recommend highly enough! We visit regularly and look forward to trying their new tasting menu with the new chef after today's really great lunch

Room Tip: the staff will help you decide
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I absolutely love staying here. It feels like you are at home. It is run by a family, who often are down for dinner with you, and they bring down their little dog, so it really feels like you live there.

They have upgraded my room both times I stayed there to a four poster bed. The whole building has an interesting history, and a four poster bed, wood antique furniture, and friendly family staff.

The food was excellent, and fairly priced, as was the hotel during the week. Just love staying here, and look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Historic and friendly family run country house.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed 23 April 2018

On a glorious weekend in April I arrived at Langdon Court as Bestman for an upcoming wedding. Initial impressions were fantastic, beautiful surroundings, friendly and professional staff. On the day itself all looked well. The outside ceremony was fantastic, beautiful setting, the drinks and canapes check, wedding breakfast thumbs up. Service was efficient, prompt and professional. The day so far was ticking along perfectly to plan.
Sadly as the day progressed in to evening things started to go amiss. I stared to see less and less of the management team, and with this the communication that had made the daytie run so smoothly.
This came to a head at the billed evening BBQ. A simply menu of homemade burgers and locally sourced sausages in buns, can't really go wrong with this, well at least I thought so.
Firstly they seemed to setting this up under a cloak of darkness, in fact they ran the whole event using two small touches. There was no communication that the food was ready to be served, to be fair no lovely bbq aroma to help lead the hungry guests.
Eventually having queued I was presented with a very basic choice of round baps (no finger rolls for the sausages - not sure if that was the actual plan), condiments of only ketchup and a tomato burger relish, no mustard, cheese, mayonnaise or any other form of accompaniment to a BBQ.
Sadly the worse was to come, having collected food for several people I realised that it was all cold, I of course immediately returned to question the chef and was told that the food was only being finished on the hot plate and had been cooked inside.
So the BBQ wasn't a BBQ, it was a portable hot plate reminiscent of a burger van.
At this point I really must praise the actions of the lady assisting the chef as she clearly understood customer care and the severity of the complaint.
I did speak ask to speak to the manager, but did not find his comments helpful. I do not care about whether the chef is leaving next week and is probably in a foul mood, or whether the cold food won't make me sick. What I care about is that the manager is responsible for the food that leaves the kitchen and it should be served hot.
Unfortunately, other issues arose over night that continued to sour the experience, having been woken up by water pouring from the ceiling in the bathroom at 7.30am, and unable to raise anyone in reception I found myself half dressed in the kitchens looking for staff to assist. Again whist the ladies that bought extra towels to help mop up the spill were as helpful as possible I was astonished to be told there was no duty manager around.
The breakfast presented other challenges, from a lack of correct table settings, having to use soup spoons to decant cereal in to bowls, a very unimpressive full English (again nothing was hot, only warm), to staff wandering around in a bit of a daze.
I can only come to the conclusion that, on this weekend, there was an absolute lack of management and leadership, which is an absolute crime as this venue has the potential to be within the very top percentage.
As with all my negative reviews I have emailed the management at the venue and welcome their response, and genuinely hope that that take some of my constructive comments on that email onboard.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family