All reviews roll top bath wedding breakfast lovely wedding premier room country house exclusive use wedding reception beautiful hotel clotted cream wembury beach coastal path sunday lunch large bathroom four poster bed lovely room two night stay stayed one night
Reviewed 23 April 2018

On a glorious weekend in April I arrived at Langdon Court as Bestman for an upcoming wedding. Initial impressions were fantastic, beautiful surroundings, friendly and professional staff. On the day itself all looked well. The outside ceremony was fantastic, beautiful setting, the drinks and canapes check, wedding breakfast thumbs up. Service was efficient, prompt and professional. The day so far was ticking along perfectly to plan.
Sadly as the day progressed in to evening things started to go amiss. I stared to see less and less of the management team, and with this the communication that had made the daytie run so smoothly.
This came to a head at the billed evening BBQ. A simply menu of homemade burgers and locally sourced sausages in buns, can't really go wrong with this, well at least I thought so.
Firstly they seemed to setting this up under a cloak of darkness, in fact they ran the whole event using two small touches. There was no communication that the food was ready to be served, to be fair no lovely bbq aroma to help lead the hungry guests.
Eventually having queued I was presented with a very basic choice of round baps (no finger rolls for the sausages - not sure if that was the actual plan), condiments of only ketchup and a tomato burger relish, no mustard, cheese, mayonnaise or any other form of accompaniment to a BBQ.
Sadly the worse was to come, having collected food for several people I realised that it was all cold, I of course immediately returned to question the chef and was told that the food was only being finished on the hot plate and had been cooked inside.
So the BBQ wasn't a BBQ, it was a portable hot plate reminiscent of a burger van.
At this point I really must praise the actions of the lady assisting the chef as she clearly understood customer care and the severity of the complaint.
I did speak ask to speak to the manager, but did not find his comments helpful. I do not care about whether the chef is leaving next week and is probably in a foul mood, or whether the cold food won't make me sick. What I care about is that the manager is responsible for the food that leaves the kitchen and it should be served hot.
Unfortunately, other issues arose over night that continued to sour the experience, having been woken up by water pouring from the ceiling in the bathroom at 7.30am, and unable to raise anyone in reception I found myself half dressed in the kitchens looking for staff to assist. Again whist the ladies that bought extra towels to help mop up the spill were as helpful as possible I was astonished to be told there was no duty manager around.
The breakfast presented other challenges, from a lack of correct table settings, having to use soup spoons to decant cereal in to bowls, a very unimpressive full English (again nothing was hot, only warm), to staff wandering around in a bit of a daze.
I can only come to the conclusion that, on this weekend, there was an absolute lack of management and leadership, which is an absolute crime as this venue has the potential to be within the very top percentage.
As with all my negative reviews I have emailed the management at the venue and welcome their response, and genuinely hope that that take some of my constructive comments on that email onboard.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Toastmaster_Jim_D
Reviewed 16 April 2018

Had a very nice stay here, were upgraded to a suite on arrival.
Great room (25), very spacious, with large bathroom with roll top bath and separate shower
Evening menu was good and reasonably priced
Good breakfast
Excellent friendly service by all staff encountered

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Attended a family wedding recently and although the wedding was lovely the service was average. Waiting staff were all dressed in casual attire and we're difficult to distinguish between them and guests. Had no idea who they were until they served us. Food was average and miniscule for prices charged. Bar prices were over inflated and no draught Guinness just bottled at extortionate price. Nice building that could do with a bit of tlc here and there . Would not revisit or recommend.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Razzman15
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visiting family in Plymouth and found this lovely hotel. We arrived at just gone 9pm and a very polite and helpful young lady on reception duty showed us to our room. We had booked a standard room which was better than expected but decided to see if we could move to a superior room. Again nothing was to much trouble and we moved to room 21.

Some may think that these rooms look a little dated but they perfectly suit the style and period of this charming hotel.

The superior rooms are far larger and very comfortable. Room 21 has no shower but a huge roll top bath.

Breakfast is served in a light and airy room. Everything was clearly freshly cooked.

The purpose of our visit is to visit family but we are looking forward to exploring the hotel grounds and our next 2 nights at this fabulous hidden gem.

Doug & Alison

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We arrived at the hotel driving along very narrow lanes, without any passing bays, very scary and not a nice drive. My first advice to potential visitors is to turn off toward Wembley at the Elburton pub. Friendlier and much easier approach.
On arriving at the hotel a sign points you left to reception and car park, we saw a couple of cars parked so parked alongside, wrong place we should have driven another 50 yards to back of hotel with plenty of parking. Silly me.
The hotel has plenty of history, and one can feel transported to yester year on entry. The receptionist was most pleasant, providing a warm welcome, potted history of the hotel, and taking us to our room.
We were meeting friends so for us it was an early start in the bar, it seemed a bit sparse lacking warmth but ok. The young man serving was very polite and professional, I would recommend the gin and tonics.
The dinner menu was sufficient, food was good without being special, my wife had plaice, cooked perfectly to her taste. The deserts were great, I had the trifle in a wine glass very moorish.
Staff again very good, attentive without getting in your face.
The bedroom was comfortable with views over the car park and countryside.
Breakfast was ok, the coffee a bit weak for me, the scrambled eggs seemed as though they were fried eggs transformed to scrambled.
Worth a visit.

Room Tip: Overlook car park and countryside.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple