1,135 results
All reviews grand old hotel car park traditional hotel sash windows superior room plymouth pavilions lounge bar beautiful building room was large porridge ferry port four poster bed full english cooked breakfast city centre theatre royal one night stay
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

As like most of the reviews here; the place needs revamping. I don't have any complaints and I will come back for sure. Car parking limited to approx 20 spaces. Nice views and close to town and marina.
Wall mounted TV and WiFi. Ironing board and iron. Trouser press. Tea and coffee making facilities.
Good food. I can recommend the fish finger sandwich. Reception Staff are friendly.
Rooms clean and tidy, just needs modernisation.
Will be coming back.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2016

Arrived on Friday 29th July for a four night stay with my husband for our 7th wedding anniversary and to catch up with family, this was our 4th visit to the hotel. Parking was not an issue plenty of spaces available on hotels FOC car park, arrived at the reception and booked in quickly and efficiently and given the key to our superior room, on opening the door my heart sank I was full of disappointment as the room looked and felt grubby we wandered around for 15 minutes but I knew I wouldn't be able to settle so down to reception we went where I told the duty manager of my dismay, he promptly gave us another room with no hesitation and the replacement room was lovely.
The professionalism of the staff that dealt with us cannot be faulted and are a credit to the hotel. We only had the breakfast each morning which again could not be faulted. Yes the hotel is dated and could certainly do with the decor updating in some of the rooms and the windows cleaning but do not let this put you off the granditure and history that the Duke of Cornwall hotel holds, all in all once over our initial blip thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will most definitely be returning for our 5th visit.

Room tip: Superior room is just a larger room
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Soooo, a shower which decides to put itself on full power 2/3 times a night without the taps being on, haunted? Water left in the shower head... You decide. Has anyone walked into someone else's room, and just come face to face with an older lady wearing nothing but beautiful red glasses, just a question . The manager on the night shift on Saturday evening 30th July will know all about this, but what a great guy, him and the lady who worked reception in the morning should be a team, sorted things out for us no question. The hotel happily gave a 50% discount to give us a small compensation, (lady in red glasses ) would stay again, clean and tidy room, no bad words to say. A comical evening.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

We weren't impressed with the condition of our room for the price we paid - it was dirty and dusty and the bathroom was mouldy with ripped splashed wallpaper
There was a random hair in our mug and tea splashes up the kettle and wall behind it - the door frames and pictures and headboard were thick with dust - the curtains falling off the rail so we couldn't close them.
The wall lights were bare bulbs with no light shades

My bed leg was wobbly so it felt like the bed was going to collapse.

The staff serving breakfast were lovely and the food was delicious - the receptionist was also very friendly and helpful

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

My family and I have luckily never had the misfortune to stay at a worst hotel than this one.
Our family car was broken into as were others during the night, do not be fooled by the CCTV cameras as they do not work the help from hotel staff was appalling when items had been found stolen from our vehicle, the hotel itself was awful the bed resembling a camp bed and food not much better either.
There are Much better hotels in Plymouth than this one.....and cheaper too.

Date of stay: August 2015