“Great value for money, great location”

Review of The Lynhurst

Seaviews enjoyed from the property
Farmhouse style kitchen, Aga, two double ovens, 8 ringed hob, 2 dishwashers, 2 fridges, seaviews Dining room seating up to 24 guests
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Dining room seating up to 24 guests
The Lynhurst from the lawned area in extensive grounds with seaviews
One of two lounges with coal fire, piano, seaviews and balcony
One of two lounges, seaviews, balcony, wood burning stove, TV, CD, comfortable seating
1 of 10 bedrooms, ensuite, balcony for relaxing, overlooking the sea and the garden
Four poster room overlooking the sea with ensuite bath with overhead shower
Double or twin (zip and link) ensuite with balcony and garden views
Room 8 twin with beatiful views of the sea and Lynmouth
Double ensuite with balcony and garden views
Superking ensuite with Lynton village views
Twin ensuite with garden views
Family room with double and twin beds ensuite.  Breathtaking views of Exmoor, the sea and the garden
Room 3 with balcony and sea views.  Shower and hand basin
Twin (zip and link) or double ensuite, garden views
The BBQ area with 2 charcoal BBQs and ample seating with seaviews
The conservatory with magnificent seaviews
The Lawned Area of the Garden
The views from a balcony
Magnificent front entrance with Victorian painted stain glass features
View from the upper path
The very special seaviews from The Lynhurst
A tranquil seating area with seaviews
The lawned area of the extensive gardens
The  glorious BBQ area with two large charcoal grills
The secluded and private location of The Lynhurst
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
LornaBrun...
Saltash, England, United Kingdom
“Great value for money, great location”
Reviewed 29 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016

We stayed for a weekend as a large group of 17 including 10 children plus 3 dogs. The house was clean and tidy with all that we needed for our weekend. The owner was very friendly and helpful and told us to contact her at any time if we had any problems - which we didn'tWe all had a brilliant time and would definitely like to return in the future.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Great for large groups
Liked least: Access is up lots of steps
Travelling group: Friends
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
9 Feb 2016
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review The Lynhurst with such a positive message. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I very much hope to see you again in the future. With kind regards Jane (Owner)
Imogen L
“Just so amazing”
Reviewed 4 September 2015 for a stay in July 2015

We stayed at The Lynhurst in July of this year for a 50th wedding celebration for my parents. All the family were there – my brother and two sisters with their respective partners and their children ranging in age from 11 months to 15 years of age. Close friends were also invited to the celebration and stayed close by in a bed and breakfast.

We contacted Jane over a year ago to book this marvellous house for the celebrations. Everything we needed to know was quickly answered by Jane (the owner) who directed us to the suppliers that could help us with our plans. My parents decided that it would be a good idea to hire outside caterers to provide a BBQ. As there were so many of us Jane suggested that we erect a gazebo on the lawn in case it rained. However, we were really fortunate with the weather. All the family had a wonderful time and my parents could not believe how fortunate we had been in finding this venue.

The house is located on the coast of Exmoor National Park, North Devon in the village of Lynton. The sea views from the house are stunning. The Lynhurst was lovely and secluded, but it only took us 10 minutes to walk into the village. There are lots of different types of restaurant to choose from, shops and all amenities.

We loved the house. Jane obviously relishes taking care of the house which you can see from the effort she has put into making it so welcoming and comfortable. We mentioned this to Jane and she did confirm that the winter has been spent upgrading the furnishings and re-decorating throughout.

Most of the bedrooms are ensuite and there is one family bathroom for the one room without facilities. This makes staying here so good, because there is no waiting for the bathrooms in the morning! Everything was so clean and well cared for.

During the remainder of the week we relaxed in the comfortable lounges and the children enjoyed the games room with Xbox, table tennis and other games provided. We also went out and about to the various theme parks in the area like The Big Sheep and The Milky Way which are within a 30 minute drive.

We also enjoyed relaxing in the garden where the lawn in big enough for cricket and badminton. The conservatory was a real joy with its own grapevine laden with grapes. The views from here are also stunning and a nice place to relax and get some peace and quiet. That is the great thing about this house in that there is plenty of room to spread out and we never felt we were on top of each other. There is always a quiet corner.

The dining room at the house is next to the kitchen which is superbly equipped and provided everything we needed including a Kenwood Chef, plenty of utensils and two
dishwashers, which came in very handy.

I cannot praise this house enough and we will most certainly be back for a grand family reunion very soon.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It exceeded all expectations
Liked least: Everything was perfect; no complaints except maybe the British weather! But that can't be helped haha!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Spreadshe...
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Lovely Views”
Reviewed 16 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

This house has outstanding views because of its high position on the cliffs. It should be noted that there is no close access to the property by car. Luckily our 86 year old family member was fit enough to climb the steps and slope to the property. The two sitting rooms were lovely, and the property has some outstanding features, such as stained glass windows. However this is an old property and some of the bedrooms smell and feel damp. The beds were clean and comfortable, and the new curtains, towels and bedding were a nice feature. The dining room was dark and smelled of wet dog, and young children had to be watched constantly because of the dangers from steps up to a balcony, and a steep drop from the garden - though this was fenced off, and a sign warns parents to be aware. Despite the issues, we had a lovely time - the barbecue facilities are very good, and the kitchen is well equipped.

Liked best: The view
Liked least: The dining room and the two damp bedrooms
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Management Response
21 Aug 2015
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you appreciated the total refurbishment of the property which took place over three months last winter. The house was totally re-painted, new carpets and furnishings.

I absolutely love The Lynhurst. The house is very atmospheric with great charm and as you say the most stunning seaviews. I have gradually over the 15 years that I have run the property, invested a great deal of time, money and care in bringing the maintenance right up to date. I have done everything that the Surveyor has suggested that I do. I can do no more except keep on top of it. This has included a new roof, new flat roofs, new balconies, new central heating system, new access paths, terraces and fences, the completion of the Garden Room, 8 ensuites, tanking of the hall and dining room, complete re-carpeting and furnishing and I could go on...... but I won't because you will fall asleep!

The access is described in detail on the booking information. The parking space at the front door was not mentioned which is much nearer.

The damp issues in the house have all been addressed after consultation with a Surveyor in November 2013. Everything that he suggested be done has now been completed. This included, amongst other works, the demolition of a chimney which was redundant due to the addition of ensuite bathrooms and therefore became very wet in the void. Air bricks were also installed, again circulation of air.

I provide a guest booklet in every bedroom. Inside contains the advice given to me by the Surveyor in which he suggested that windows are left slightly open at all times to introduce a circulation of air. As you so rightly stated this is a Victorian house and cannot be treated or compared to a modern house with its double glazing, wall insulation etc.

Steam is produced in the bathrooms, even if there is ventilation it does spill out into the rooms, wet cloths, towels etc., along with the condensation produced by peoples bodies!! This is what causes the musty, damp smell.

This house was a family home used by the Victorians and subsequent generations of families. When I arrived there was not a fence to be seen. All of these fences have been installed by myself. Any areas such as the terraced areas of the grounds have notices up to say that all children should be accompanied by an adult.

The house is regularly inspected by my insurance company who would not insure The Lynhurst if it was not safe.

I have, however, purchased two stair gates, which are available to guests if they require them.

Dogs are welcome at the house, but have not been there all summer, so I cannot understand the smell you mentioned, which has incidentally, not been mentioned before. However, after the season ends in a week or so I will of course shampoo the carpets, as I do several times a year as part of the regular maintenance programme.

I do hope that the above will address the issues raised in your review.
sarah_wt8...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Mrs”
Reviewed 29 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

I got married here this July - it was an absolutely perfect place for a reception with room for a marquee and a great BBQ with stunning views.

I had my family stay in the house for the weekend too who also loved the venue and the area.

Definitely recommend for weddings and any other parties or even just a family weekend.

Jane the owner was also a great help to me with my plans and could always get in touch if I had any problems.

Would love to return one day!!

Kusadasi, Turkey
Reviewed 22 July 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views and tranquility
Liked least: The steep climbs around Lynton.
Travelling group: Friends
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$1,250
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing