1,208 results
All reviews the grill galleon bar jacuzzi bath a river view room no lift curry night bars downstairs the river boat float bar food overlooking the harbour flights of stairs four poster bed sunday lunch first floor park your car mussels
Reviewed 25 April 2017

A friend and I popped into the bar for a glass of wine, following a funeral. Had a small glass each, and were charged £13. Nothing special either. Their food is very ordinary and expensive,so shall be going elsewhere from now on.

Room tip: Don't bother on the curry night,very mediocre, they all taste the same
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Granny702016
Judy K, Manager at Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Dear Granny702016
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very disappointing to hear that you felt we were not value for money. Our management team across all three of our hotels spend a great deal of time and effort selecting and pricing our wines and food menus accordingly so it’s a shame to hear you didn’t enjoy your time here. We hope that maybe one day you will give us another chance.
Kind regards

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Stayed here a few weeks ago as part of a visit to Dartmouth for a joint birthday celebration with my best friend. The staff were excellent all round, we had a very nice room and dinner and breakfast were both enjoyable. Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear je9431
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Royal Castle Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you that you enjoyed your time with us and your visit to Dartmouth for your birthday celebration, we hope you both had a great day! We are pleased to hear that you will be coming back and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a few nights after Easter, I have stayed here before and really enjoyed the experience so came back and was not disappointed. Staff from cleaners, reception, bar, breakfast, managers are really friendly and make sure the stay is up to expectations. This is an old hotel but is spotless, really first class, can't be easy due to all the pictures and trinkets. Breakfast was plentiful, good choice and full English was superb. If you are staying here you can book a table in the bar for the evening, advisable as does get busy. Food here very good and great atmosphere with both locals and visitors. Good selection of drinks. Valet parking is useful, no problem getting car back if heading out for the day. Our room was at the top of the hotel, lots of steps to get there, clean and functional, good shower and very comfortable bed. Quirky hotel, full of atmosphere, would recommend.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear YorkshireGucci
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at The Royal Castle Hotel. We take great pride in the beautiful old building and have an excellent team devoted to ensuring that it’s looking its best and is welcoming for all. We appreciate that parking in Dartmouth can be difficult at the best of times so we endeavour to make it as hassle free as possible for our guests. We are lucky to have an award-winning head chef leading a strong team to create a variety of tantalizing dishes.
We hope you will get the opportunity to stay again in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2017

As always a fabulous break away. It was my birthday and they made it very special in every way. All the hotel staff from cleaners to mangement went out of their way to make it a fabulous stay and catered for our every need . It really is a lovely place to stay from lovely rooms to eating in the bar or restaurant with lovely food and attentive staff.

Room tip: River View
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear purdybunny
Thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review. We are absolutely delighted to hear that you had such a lovely time with us and we were able to make your birthday extra special for you! We pride ourselves in excellent customer service and hold weekly training sessions to mentor a further develop the teams skills. We feel it’s very important for members of management and the owner to be a real presence on the floor ensuring that our guests are happy and well looked after.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

The staff and food here simple first class and I cannot fault. But what was totally disappointing was the room. I have stayed at hotels all over UK and around the world so I have a good feel if I get room worthy of cost. Here for £160.00 A night I got a small box room. I knew when booking as this was the last room and I would not get a view, but on web site at room rate all the images you see for this room rate ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the room I had. FYI room 24. In know in this area rooms can be small, but reflected in cost. Clovelly for example as area you would expect to pay more but rooms half the cost and better decor!

The shower was so small you could bring both arms up at same time to wash your hair, also when you closed the shower curtain, (and for a room at this cost you would expect a cubical) and turn on tap, the air drawn up forces the curtain to wrap around your legs. So you battle while trying to shower with sticky curtain to legs. The toilet was right next to shower so space not on your side.

The room is small, and as said if you look on images on web site for that room rate, images are not representative in terms of size and internal decor. Well at least for the room I had. So check when booking. We attended a special event so I was happy to pay room rate based on what was advertised. I have stayed at a few places around here and you can get far more for your well earned buck else where. Would I stay again, perhaps but I will certainly seek and test the room I am booked in. I felt I had booked a good room and perhaps got a room I should not have had. This was challenged but all rooms were booked. Other than formally complain nothing offered.

As said the staff and food will not disappoint.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Gizors
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us at The Royal Castle Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and felt well looked after by our team, however it is extremely disappointing that you did not feel the room was value for money. We would always recommend booking in advance and directly through us to ensure you get the best room and deals. A few of our rooms have been recently refurbished and are awaiting new photos but the majority should correspond with the photos on our website. We sincerely apologise that this complaint was not dealt with more efficiently at the time and hope that this will not put you off returning in future! If you decide to stay again please do get in touch with me on judy@royalcastle.co.uk and I will personally ensure that you are compensated you in some way for your disappointing experience.
We hope to hear from you soon.
Ensuring you of our best intentions at all times.