All reviews pavlova vegetarian lasagne steak and ale pie specials board great pub pub food linguine catch of the day isles of scilly mackerel an evening meal main road varied menu fish and chips great room friendly welcome stayed for one night
Reviewed 23 September 2018

My daughter and I were touring Cornwall for 2 weeks. When we got to Penzance, it was raining (imagine?!) and we had just hauled our luggage from the train station to The Dolphin, where we were greeted pleasantly and promptly and taken directly to our en suite room facing the harbor. We also had dinner in the restaurant that evening. It was quite busy, but we were early and sat at a table that was reserved for later, so a bit of a time restriction. That, however did not matter as the service was lovely and prompt. We never felt hurried and even indulged in a dessert. We shared a sticky toffee pudding. It's a thing! Loved it! Our room was clean and comfortable. The only problem we had was a rousing foosball game with loud cheering going on directly under our room for over an hour, but hey! we were staying in a tavern! We were up early the next morning to catch the plane to the Isles of Scilly and were returned that evening by the Scillion III nearly at the door of The Dophin. How perfect! I must mention that we left before breakfast was normally served, but we were happily served breakfast an hour earlier than normal so that we could get to Land's End for our flight. That was a bonus! After we checked out we were able to keep our bags there while we went sightseeing. I definitely recommend staying at the Dolphin Tavern!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

I recently visited the establishment for a birthday meal with my family. We had been there many times before and had often been left with mixed feelings about the service such as one occasion where a member of staff advised a vegetarian customer who had been given a meat option by accident to "give it a try". However we have always enjoyed the food so have returned previously. This time i had the fish finger sandwich with chips and a side salad. I was happily eating away til I noticed a very large dead moth was sat on top of my salad. I have a fear of moths and couldnt even take another look at My plate without feeling sick so My partener explained the issue to waitress who replied with "oh sh*t" and took the plate back to the kitchen saying she would get me a new meal. When a second plate was brought out to me I had been given the exact same food with the moth removed. The waiter who bought it over also proceeded to joke "here's a fresh plate hopefully without any wild life this time" which i certainly didn't find funny as someone with such a huge phobia. I tried to continue eating however I felt so sick at the thought of having the same previous food given to me, as did two other people on my table who also ordered salads. The three of us left our food after only eating a few mouthfuls. After not recieving a freshly cooked second meal I expected that I atleast wouldn't be charged for my food considering I could hardly manage to eat it however I was charged full price as did all the others who had issues with their food. I work in this type of business and i would expect it to be handled very differently with a severe appology and either a fresh meal or some form of discount. Yet at no point were we appologised to. On my exit I realised the the kitchen was totally open to the main door way with no doors shut meaning insects alike could easily get in. Unfortunately I have been totally put off coming back and I'm truly upset with the way things were handled.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jklmn1
Reviewed 14 September 2018

Smashing pub restaurant - with a good choice of beers and an very good menu from which to chose well cooked meals. Fresh produce served by very friendly staff. Would recommend for those looking to get a taste of Penzance

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Offering fresh locally caught and landed fresh seafood on the menu. The crab sandwich was generously filled and delicious while.the catch of the day was apparently equally good. Good ambiance with friendly staff.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

I don’t think PZ is that great compared to all the lush places in Cornwall but there are some lovely spots including this perfectly decent olde worlde pub.

Happy staff, decent outside area to watch the cars and boats go by.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple