All reviews gannel estuary squash court ten pin bowling stunning views bit dated restaurant staff weekend break fistral beach town centre matt
Reviewed 26 April 2016

We got a great deal including breakfast and dinner. I wasnt expecting much for 60 pounds a night (per room). But I was totally blown away. Our first room was ok but we had to change and the second one was great. Great bathroom and spacious. Tea and coffee in the room and everyone extremely nice.
What really took it to the next level was the dinner. Three course dinner that was great. Definitly coming back when I am Cornwall next. A shame that because of the weather we could not use the pool.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniela V
Reviewed 25 April 2016

I will start with the positives. Beautiful view down the estuary, large public spaces plenty of seating. Great staff, always very polite and helpful. Good value I paid £280 for a weeks stay. Very good breakfast. Large free car park.

Other facilities: Indoor pool a little on the cool side, limited access 10am-12am and 4pm-6pm. Spa pool not working, 1 warm jet (switch on wall has red tap on it, does not work).

Room 111: Furniture a little large for the room, not much space but I did only pay £280 so I guess you get what you pay for.

Now on the negative side. My stay was spoilt by my experience on the last night. I was awoken by rowdy guests at about 4am, this continued until about 5am when I could take it no longer. They had all gathered outside my room which was next to the fire escape, they started to smoke both outside my door in the corridor and just outside the building. The smoke started to drift under my door. I had to get dressed and then ask them to stop. There response "We are sorry we didn't realise there was anyone in the room". There was no information pack in the room but I took a guess that 0 would get me reception from the phone in the room. The night porter did come along and more them on but by this time couldn't sleep, the smell of smoke in the room and I was really wound up. This I could have done without because I had a 5 hour drive in the morning.

I called in at reception at 8:30 to make a complaint and I was surprised that the night porter had not made a note. I was told there were no managers in to complain to, and i was asked to return after breakfast. I did return at 9am but still no managers. Finally I got to speak to the manager at 9:30 at checkout.

The manager was not very convincing when they said this had never happened before, especially after she told me that this particular fire exit was used on a regular basis as a shortcut to the carpark. She then tried to make the excuse that they probably though my room was empty. I believe the rowdy guest were regulars known to the staff. Apart from a sorry, she said she would have a quiet word with the guest to prevent it happening again. I was left feeling that the whole incident was to be ignored just after I left. No offers of compensation for the lack of a night sleep. Don't accept any rooms (109 - 114) this is where I believe you will have the most problems.

I had to stop several time for a nap in my car on the way home as I was so tired.

Room Tip: Don't accept any rooms (109 - 114) this is where I believe you will have the most problems.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank davisanthony64
Reviewed 23 April 2016

This hotel has beautiful views of the estuary and the sea, nice communal areas and some very friendly staff. When we arrived at the hotel, they'd messed up our booking and only had a twin room left to offer, with a tiny window looking onto the car park. Considering we'd booked a double room 8 months previously, we were pretty disappointed and not much effort was made to apologise for the mistake. The room was a good size, but quite dated and smelled damp. The receptionist had already told us that they'd had some problems with burst pipes in the rooms, so I guess our room was one of the offending ones. There were a few off-putting features in the room, like a really old and stained shower curtain and build-up of limescale in the bathroom.
All in all, we had a nice stay but wouldn't be looking to go back.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that have been affected by burst pipes
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

We decided upon this hotel because of the price and location on crantock estuary. I stayed here many moons ago with my family (about 25 years ago....) I don't think it's changed at all.

Upon arrival our room was quite small, but smelt terrible, we thought possibly a broken toilet. I went straight to reception to complain, the receptionist was not sympathetic at all, turned up her nose and chucked us a key for another room. We opened this door to find a very old fashioned room, smelt better but was dirty from top to bottom. Hair in the drawers, a used ear bud in another, bathroom was dirty, all drains were rusty and running yellow down the bath. The shower didn't work, not sure why I risked it.... The toilet ran all night. We decided to stick it out as I assume all rooms are the same. View was nice but there were always smokers on the balcony below.

We had food and breakfast in the restaurant which was superb to be fair, the staff were courteous and efficient. We did however ask for an orange juice and received cordial.

We decided to brave the basement bowling experience which was terrible. It smelt awful, the man down there I believe who was running it has probably been down there too long.... My shoe had something sharp and metal inside it and it stuck into my heal, which left me basically unable to walk properly for the next week or so. The lanes didn't work so we swapped halfway through and the main issue was the noise! Imagine elephants stampeding through a brick wall.

Booked for 3 nights, we could only manage 2... We left just to get a proper shower and be clean and comfortable. I raised issue with reception staff to no avail. I don't go on holiday to complain all the time so sometimes it's better to let the money go and leave, share your experiences and learn from your mistakes.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 19 April 2016

We held our daughter's wedding reception at the hotel ten days ago. In fact we took over the hotel for the entire weekend. What a wonderful time we had. There were 170 guests and a further 25 in the evening. It was superb. The food was exceptionally good, the staff were brilliant, the whole event was so enjoyable. We couldn't have asked for more. The hotel is situated in a beautiful location with stunning views of the River Gannel and Crantock beach. The reception and dining areas are bright, light and spacious. All in all it really was just such a wonderful weekend and we can't recommend this hotel enough as a wedding venue and a good all round hotel. We returned the day after checking out to enjoy a bottle of wine on the beautiful sun drenched terrace to reminisce about our amazing wedding experience!

Room Tip: Go for the Gannel view rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family