“2 Night Stay Would Re-Visit (3.5 rating)”
Review of The Cheshire Cat

The Cheshire Cat
Ranked #114 of 579 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Cheshire Cat in Christleton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a 2 night stay at the Cheshire Cat last weekend. On the whole a good experience. The room was reasonable value for money apart from the shower. The evening meal was excellent value for money, particularly from the special weekend menu. I must say the extra cost for the cooked breakfast was not so good, but tolerable. My main gripe (as mentioned above) was the shower which would not keep the water temperature constant. It was either boiling hot, or freezing cold. Friends who we travelled with had exactly the same shower problem in the next room. This problem needs to be sorted, or there will be more complaints.
I, and believe our friends who also visited with us would re-visit the Cheshire Cat (assuming the shower is fixed).

Manager C, Manager at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

David H, we truly appreciate your honest feedback. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. We hope you will consider us again in the future. Take care.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really nice location, views from front are great. Food was good, good choice on Sunday menu. Visited at 5pm and they had run out of some items on the menu. Service was friendly and pleasant if a tad slow. Overall very good, will likely visit again

Manager C, Manager at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Lauren S, we really appreciate your feedback! We hope to see you soon!
From The Cheshire Cat.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Like all Vintage Inns, The Cheshire Cat has a lot going for it - a spacious but cosy interior, a great menu, a lot of tasty food, and friendly staff. I always enter with high hopes of a 5 star visit - but something always seems to go wrong! We were greeted by friendly staff, but the table we were shown to, despite being laid, had clearly not been cleaned, with drink and sauce spillages still very visible. I mentioned it to our friendly waitress and she cleaned the table straight away. We ordered the chicken pies, which I have had before and think are absolutely delicious. I was thoroughly enjoying mine, when I came across a long wavy hair. I pulled it out, and being hungry, and not 100% sure whether or not it was mine, I carried on eating. Then I found another that was well and truly welded into the pie filling. That completely put me off my meal. The waitress was again very apologetic, and when we asked for the bill we were not charged for my meal. Come on Vintage Inns - I do love your food - but something always seems to go wrong when I visit one of your premises - it is so frustrating !!

We really appreciate your feedback and we are really sorry about your experience with us at The Cheshire Cat and hope this hasn't put you off visiting again. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best wishes,
The Cheshire Cat.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

The jungle drums are beating in Chester “the Cheshire Cat has a vegan menu!” - we thought we would try. The result was - a good start.

So rare to get a choice that I tend to add a star for that. Good friendly service on a very quiet Tuesday lunch. Lots of attentive staff about.

So the menu - on first glance it’s fab. 5 mains, desserts!!! As you delve there’s a real preponderance for chick peas and lentils. I went to the regular menu to find some chips. My roasted veg tart was a bit underdone - need to caramelise the peppers, red onion and butternut squash to get more flavour in - just need a few minutes more to get more taste. The burger was tasty but again chickpea based - would love a good old seasoned portobello mushroom steak or cauliflower steak in a bap with some punchy salsa.

Without sides the mains are a bit measly - could at least serve chips with the burger for this price surely!

The desserts - what a treat. 4 to choose from. We tried the treacle and pecan (divine) and the chocolate (lovely). I look forward to a day when all desserts on a menu can be vegan. Anyone would love these options and not be sacrificing any taste for a cruelty free pud.

So a great start - thank you! Really thank you! . Would recommend “beefing up” (sorry) the menu a little more in starters and mains - how about a mushroom calamari or cauliflower pakora starter? How about some stuffed cabbage leaves with nuts and a black bean sauce. How about a stir fry using pea protein instead of beef strips.

Doesn’t have to be chickpeas and lentils. We eat these enough at home and for this price point we are looking for a bit of a treat!

One day these options will be mainstream!

Chris S, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at The Cheshire Cat! We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best wishes,
The Cheshire Cat.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

Called for a late Sunday Lunch, as had been here before, and was nice last time. Arrived at about 1700, not particularly busy. Had to wait over an hour for 1 starter (bowl of soup). Waitress forgot drinks. Main courses took even longer. They were just warm. In all, the service was absolutely terrible, and the food was "ok" rather than good. For the prices that they charge, would have expected ALOT more. Would be dissapointed to have service like this in a basic chain pub, let alone somewhere that likes to project itself as somewhere a bit more premium. Wont be coming back again.

1  Thank Alexoswestry
Manager C, Manager at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Sorry that you feel this way Alex, we will look into what happened on the Sunday so that it won't happen again.
We hope this does not stop you from visiting in the future, as we hope to see you again.