All reviewstop floorvisit chesterminute walkpleasant stayfree wifiperfect locationmikebreakfasttv
Reviewed 23 February 2018

We stayed at Bowman Lodge for one night in February 2018. The accommodation is very reasonably priced and we had a fantastic, comfortable stay. It's a short drive into Chester from the lodge so location is very convenient. We were greeted by the owner, Mike who was very helpful, he suggested places for us to eat in Chester and also told us a little bit about the history of the city.

For an extra £5 each we both had breakfast which was very generously portioned. The lodge also catered for me as a vegetarian which was really nice.

The room was great. A great size, with an en suite bathroom (a little dated in décor but that does match the vintage esque theme of the lodge). There was an information pack in the room with suggestions for places to eat, drink and visit. There was also a TV in the room and tea and coffee facilities. The rooms also come with free wifi which we thought was a great extra. The general cost of the stay was very reasonably priced and we're really glad we booked and stayed. We even managed to get a parking space in the carpark outside the hotel - but this is very small and limited.

Over all we had a really nice stay and highly recommend Bowman Lodge.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

After we booked this hotel on Booking.com and for 2 nights it was £145. The only room was a double bed and also 2 singles (family room). My friend emailed before our arrival to give the owners an estimate of our arrival time as requested.
We arrived to what looked a very dreary place. We rang the doorbell and the owner came to the door (minus shoes and socks) and let us in. We we’re very surprised to see no xmas decorations (a minimal amount, around the dining room fire place).
We were shown to our downstairs room. The place was freezing cold! No heating was on in the room, it was dark, dated and dirty. Several lampshades were missing from the ceiling light.
The valance sheets on the bed had not seen an iron. The towels and bath mat were awful, so thin and harsh, I’ve dried my floors on better.
We immediately decided to find another place to stay. Which we found over the road for £1 more £150 for a 3 bed room at the Dene Hotel. Lovely and clean and warm.
When we went back to Bowman Lodge to explain we were not staying, the owner was very confrontational and rude.
I was trying to be respectful to the owner when he questioned why we weren’t staying, as it was his home/business. He could not see anything wrong with the towels, he stated they were laundered and got no stains. I said the shower room was dated and awful (old pale pink ceramics). The room was not cosy, warm, clean or comforting.
The owner said “you do know how much you’re paying for this room don’t you?” (As if we were getting a bargain) I replied YES, it’s at my greater cost we have had to find somewhere else. He then literally nearly threw us out. Saying “ your getting on my nerves now, just get out!”
So customer service was as bad as the room.
When we left we rang Booking.com who kindly said the accommodation would be cancelled without any payment due.
We would have not stayed there even if we had to pay for both lots of accommodation. It is the worst accommodation I have seen in many years, and I travel all over with my job.
The only bonus was the owner did not charge us.
Some of the excellent comments are misleading on this site for this place.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
mrc1234, Owner at Bowman Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Dear Trudy,
Well it must be said that I have been expecting this review and whilst most responses on TA will start with "I am so sorry to hear that you was not happy" in my response this will not be the case.
I appreciate customer service is paramount in my trade, however, there are always exceptions and you Trudy are one of them. Whilst your review portrays yourself as a calm and rational person, I beg to differ. When you told me you wasn't staying you were already in a state of agitation. I of course enquired as to why, then the rest of the conversation was all about the towels, we were both stood there inspecting them and I really couldn't see any issue with them which got you even hotter under the collar. Eventually I asked if perhaps there was anything else you wasn't happy with, at this point you marched into the bathroom, picked up the bathmat and whilst shouting "and whats this?" threw it onto the floor and informed me when you travel you expect "luxury". Well Trudy, this is fine there are plenty of luxurious hotels in Chester but they do come at a cost. I on the other hand offer clean, comfortable accommodation with great value for money.
Now you mentioned you made the booking through booking.com of which I've been a member since 2013 and in this time have received high review ratings with the majority making mention to myself being a great host.
Finally, with your last sentence of your review "some of the excellent comments are misleading on this site for this place" well I would suggest the guests who wrote them would disagree.
Do have a lovely Christmas
Bowman Lodge Team

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I brought my husband here for a surprise birthday trip and we had a lovely stay. The lodge is really well located both for a stroll into town and a short drive to the zoo. Lots of good restaurants and bars nearby too, and the owners were really helpful with information about good places to go. We paid for breakfast and it was great. The room was very spacious and clean and we had a very peaceful stay!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Used the B&B as a base while attending CarFest North. The welcome was friendly and helpful with local information. Our room was on the top floor, not overly large but more than spacious. Everything was clean and in good order.

As we needed to be back at the event early we weren't able to take breakfast. Overall though very pleased with our two night stay

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights to visit Chester and northern Wales. Great athmosphere, perfect location for traffic connections and Chester City. Fantastic hospitality and very friendly and helpful hosts.
English when best.