All reviewstop floorvisit chesterminute walkpleasant stayfree wifiperfect locationmikebreakfasttv
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is a lovely B&B on the main road in the pleasant suburb of Hoole. The proprietors were friendly and fun, our rooms were clean and neat, and equipped with TV and kettle, a small washbasin, chair, wardrobe and chest of drawers. Breakfast was as you would expect, with a choice of cereals, orange juice, cooked breakfast (for vegetarians also) and toast. Prices were more than reasonable, and all in all our stay was a very good experience. Chester is a compact city, so access to the centre is easy, even on foot if you like a bit of a walk. I would happily return any time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DizDiz
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Owners, Mike & Jane couldn't have been more welcoming. The family room we stayed in was perfectly fine - clean beds and en-suite area, although the TV could do with updating. The hotel was in a good position to walk into Chester (20 mins) and if you felt too tired, you could use your bus pass on the frequent bus service. Chester Zoo not far away either. The cooked breakfast was delicious (I don't normally eat this it but enjoyed it so much, I had it 3 days in a row!), BUT make sure you ask for 2 teabags in the pot if you like a nice cuppa - OR ask Mike to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!. June & Mike from Lincolnshire.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The only good thing about staying there was the sports bar we found opposite it! This place for us was an abolute dump!, If I hadn't of paid for it on paypal I would of walked straight back out and found something with standards. The stench, dust,smelly bed worn out sheets,lying on springs beds were aweful. the TV was a joke and unable to adjust volume on it, it was the smallest,oldest TV, just aweful. The bathroom,well we decided to leave having a shower until leaving the following day, words can't explain what a dump this place was and wait for it, this was the superior room we paid extra for.... : ( One positive, the breakfast was OK..... book at your peril !!!

Room Tip: don't bother, find somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobTheBusker
mrc1234, Owner at Bowman Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

What superior room? I do not have or advertise one and certainly dont charge more for one. Whilst i do take onboard negative, constuctive criticism, i must say my rooms are a far cry from how you describe them - quoting your words and spelling "abolute dump" and "aweful".
I emailed yourself trying to get to the bottom of this review, but have had no response.
This leads me to believe this is a reprisal from the two UNRULY gents i had words with on the weekend of the Chester Rocks Concert.
If this is the case gents, grow up this sort of stuff should have been left in the school yard!!
Kind Regards
Mike

Reviewed 10 June 2012

My daughter, myself and my 2 foster children stayed at this lovely hotel last week and we were made very welcome from the minute we stepped in the door. The room was very clean and comfortable, breakfast was excellent (and filling), and our hosts couldn,t do enough for us. I would recommend Bowman Lodge to anyone. We will definately return. Janice Ritchie

Room Tip: we took a young baby, a young girl and ourselves and the family room was spacious and on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Had a one night stay here for the recent Chester half marathon. Location wise it's easy to find on the main Hoole Road into Chester, just a 2 minute drive into town or a 20 minute walk. There's a pub opposite and a few restaurants further down the road too.

The accommodation is a three storey town house, our room was on the top floor. Ensuite (no bath), sink in the main room. We faced onto the main road, but the double glazed window drowned out the noise. Comfy bed and tea/coffee making facilities (could have done with a few more tea bags though!). There is wifi but didn't access it. The only negative for this particular room was the low beam - being 6'2" I had to be very careful!

We were up early on Sunday for the race and in fairness to the owner he got up early to serve us breakfast which was very much appreciated. He even sorted shower facilities out for us for after the race.

I probably would have scored this a 3 as it is an average b&b, but I've given one more point for the customer service. I'd consider this place again though.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple