See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a short time, manager was good at accommodating us at last minute.
On arrival the place is run down and dirty, no locks on rooms, no safe place to store bags (eg locked crates/lockers as most backpackers hostels have). Clearly this is a place for long term stay, shared a room with girls who’d moved to the UK to work, clearly not backpackers with their millions of suitcases.
Whilst in the lounge area some people talking about staying for months on end. Looks more like a halfway house/place for homeless people to be put up by the council than a backpackers hostel.
Other residents not exactly friendly, and BIG issue if you want visitors, no food/drink/alcohol allowed in any rooms either which is not helpful for short term stays!
Showers not exactly clean and extremely small. WiFi did not work in rooms.
If you are visiting short term as we were would NOT suggest staying here. Will not stay again. Also not good value for money, stayed in other backpacker hostels in other major UK cities and were not greeted with this kind of environment but paid a similar amount per night.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for over 3 months with my mates. The place would suit you if you are on a budget and in search of people who like to have a laugh. Loads of people speaking different languages and a fab way to learn about different cultures. There are quite a few rules: wash dishes after you use them, don’t sleep without your bed linen on, etc that are needed to make it fairer to the other guests. Staff work really hard to keep the place in order, yet are very friendly. Day manager helped us recommending work agencies when we first arrived. The place is being refurbished on one of the top floors but it doesn’t cause any issues to the rest of the guests.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Lovelife1974
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a number of weeks the guests are great I got on with everyone and pretty much all of the staff except the main manager who is called Felipe he is very racist to people from the British isles, I believe it may have something to do with being from Argentina and it has something to do with the war in the Falklands. He is very sleezy with women to a point that it is very uncomfortable even though he has a wife and kids.. I cooked some food and forgot to wash my pan instantly after I cooked it and two hours later found a note under it saying I was to pay Β£5 even after washing it myself once I saw the note. The place is supposed to be a relaxed place for travellers but you found yourself on eggshells while he was working basically if you are British and or a women you should avoid this place at 09:00-18:00 other than that the place isn't to bad if you don't mind sharing with some mice..

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank hypaknight1
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I stayed in this hostel for over three weeks and had a very good stay.
Good points:
Very central, good showers, piano available, good people, friendly staff who tries their hardest to keep a big place in order, free hot chocolate!
Bad points:
Place needs refurbishement, but having said that it's the cheapest hostel in town so I guess that's one of the reasons why people choose to stay here for weeks.

I have stayed in many hostels during my travels and would choose to come back to this one mainly because of price, location and good atmosphere. Big shout out to the managers, particularly the day time one, who keep a big place under control.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank SaraBradley2000
Reviewed 13 February 2017

I would never stay here or advise it to anyone. It had no lockers, very unclean, stained yellow bedsheets and it smelt of rotting cheese. I would really not stay here, ever. The staff were nice but we really just had to go.

Date of stay: February 2017