6,475 results
All reviews diamond room pier dinner blue hole mountain view jade samurai coral cafe entertainment staff jerk chicken ocho rios wraps the grill pizza place italian restaurant piano bar nature walk our honeymoon platinum restaurant
Reviewed 15 October 2018

My wife and i just returned from a 7 day trip to this resort for our 5 year anniversary. The resort was clean, the staff attentive and just a wonderful time all around. The pier dinner was fun along with the beach party and Jamaican street dance. If you are looking for good drinks and fun make sure to find Miguel and Morris two of the best bartenders out there. They provided great drinks and were there to make sure you were taken care of at all times. This was our second time at the Jewel Dunns River and it was just as good as the first time.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericdassow
Velona W, Administrative Assistant at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Dear Guest:

A very warm welcome home! Thank you for your loyalty, continued patronage, and for coming back to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversary with us.

Your commendations and positive sentiments are truly appreciated and will be conveyed to our team.

Once again, it was a pleasure to host you and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

What an amazing resort, our room was always kept neat. Everyone was so kind and helpful, I’m definitely going to visit again!!! The food was delicious always somewhere different to eat, the jerk chicken was always on point

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank Jbacchus
Velona W, Administrative Assistant at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your husband's 45th birthday with us....it was truly a pleasure to have shared this special occasion with you.

Your patronage and commendations are appreciated, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2018

I would recommend this resort to anyone. We have just hada 10 days holiday in Jamaica ataying at The Jewels Dunn. Not sure where to start. The staff are SO wonderfully friendly, nothing is too much trouble for any of them. I won't state names as they were all so lovely and happy. Can I get this subject if tipping out of the way. You are NOT expected to tip and not one member of staff makes you feel they are expecting it. it is up to you. We took lots of US one dollar bills and tipped a couple of dollars to the waitors/waitresses, barmen, reps, guides and bus drivers. We only tipped the maid at the end of the holiday. They are very grateful as I don't think they get paid very well. The resort is lovely and clean and they are always cleaning and tidying. Two pools, one with music (loud) with games and a smaller one which is quieter each with swim up bars and jacuzzi are again lovely and clean. The small beach, again clean, with lots of loungers and a few cabanas to hire. We had no vendors on the beach trying to sell anything, only the spa ladies. There are people on the other side of the fence at the edge of the resort trying to get your attention but they don't pester and they have fun with people who do talk to them, not that we wanted any of what they were selling!!! They have a sports hut at one of the beach where you can hire, canoes, jet skis, sail boats, diving and snorkelling lessons. My husband took his own snorkelling gear but they rope off part of the sea which is safe to swim in and unfortunately the reef is out of that area and he was not allowed to swim to it as it was within the boating area and too dangerous. There are several restaurants the Coral Cafe was the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the only one for a cooked breakfast. All food was delcious, especially The Platinum and Moonstone restaurants. They both want smart dress, no shorts etc. They say long sleeved shirts and trousers but people were wearing short sleeved shirts. There are also burger bars and pizza bar, again delicious. The only one you need to book is for the Jade Samuri. The cocktails are delicous and we recommend trying The Bob Marley. The rooms are again clean and very comfortable. We were happy that we decided to book a mountain view room with a balcony, as although it was at the front of the hotel, we felt it was the quieter side. Away from the night club and restaurants. The beds are quite hard but we soon got to used to it quickly. Fridges are stocked up everyday with water, cola, orange juice etc. We asked the have light cola and it was done quickly. We booked our toura at the JTL desk in the lobby next to the concierge and they were very helpful and all the reps, guides and drivers were wonderful. I have reviewed the tours separately. Recommend Dunns River Falls, so much fun. JTL drove to us back to the airport end of the end of the holiday. Even then the driver was giving us a guided tour too. I had a lovely massage at the Spa with the lovely Keria, it was so wonderful. Thank you Jewels Dunn for making our holiday in Jamaica absolutey wonderful. We will be back. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Room tip: Sapphire Mountain View rooms we found quieter
3  Thank Christine C

Dear Guest:
Thank you for choosing our resort and for sharing your wonderful feedback.

Your commendations are appreciated and will be conveyed to all the team. It was a privilege to host you, and we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again very soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 13 October 2018

Landed Thursday -
Arrival - 4/5 -be aware that the resort is a 2 hour bus ride away from the airport. We were not prepared for this and it really sucked. Upon arrival we were greeted with cold towels, and a fresh drink. We were brought to a room under maintenance which was frustrating as we arrived quite late, and had to go back to the front desk. The staff fixed this error quickly.

Staff - 5/5 - the staff are very friendly, always greeted us in passing, always said good morning, many remembered we got married and referred to us as mr. and Mrs. throughout the stay. We got a call at least once every single day from the receptionist asking if our day was going well and if we needed anything. Although I appreciated the effort on day 1 and day 2, it became a bit annoying that they were constantly calling up to the room given that I had not called to them once. At one point we got a call at 7am which completely woke us up. Judy & Sophia were two of our favourite staff. They went above and beyond and really made the trip extra special. Sophia did an amazing job with the honeymooners cocktail party. Tami was also a lot of fun trying to promote different activities happening around the common grounds.

Food - 4/5 - although food was very delicious and good quality, there was not a lot of variety. Breakfast had the same options every day. Lunchtime had the most variety with 8 main food options, a ramen noodle bar and a sandwich bar every day. we only ate dinner at the buffet once, and it was the most disappointing and underwhelming meal. Sunday is the big Caribbean food day, ackee for breakfast, curry goat for dinner - but this was not communicated to us, we ended up booking one of our excursions on the Sunday. Tuesday the buffet is closed for dinner - also was not communicated very well. There is a snack bar available in the evening with burger and grilled cheese, was sub par. There is a firestone pizza spot around lunchtime and a few restaurants for dinner.

Resort/beach - 5/5 - the resort is beautiful and very clean. The layout is perfect. They have large games to play throughout the common grounds. Tons of seating areas, beach chairs and benches. The resort was even cleaner than I thought it would be. The staff were on top of cleaning things every day. Even the floating rafts in the ocean were cleaned and scrubbed with soap! Beautiful sandy beach. There is a fence on one side of the beach with locals on the other side, they do try to call you over to sell you different items and a couple different activities, it didn’t really bother us but I can see why it would be intimidating as mentioned in other reviews. Some locals have craft stalls setup throughout the resort, it is convenient but I would highly suggest you flex your bargaining skills. I was going to buy a medium painting at one of the stalls and she said it was $35, I offered her $30 for two smaller ones and she ended up giving the medium and small for $35. There are also a lot of stray cats as mentioned. We did not have any issues with cats jumping on our table at all, the waiters were very aware of the cats and did their best to shoo them away from the buffet.

Resort activities -
We did two beach cabanas.
The first was a night gazer - 3/5
The second was beach randevouz - 3/5
This was a lovely experience, they’re very comfy and relaxing, I would say we could have skipped one of them only because it got a bit boring after so many hours of laying there. Judy made sure we were completely satisfied and checked in on us a comfortable amount - not too often but often enough.

Night life - 3/5 - flyers are handed out daily. the resort does try to have activities and shows all day and night but it seemed like there was just not enough guest participation, leaving for a fairly quiet resort once the pool closed at 6pm.

Nail salon - 2/5 - booking the appointment was a challenge because every time I went into the salon I could not find a staff member. On the third try, I found a worker walking around, I booked an appointment specifically for acrylic nails and made sure they were aware I needed this done before my wedding. They confirmed the appointment for Sunday 11am (wedding on Monday) when I arrived on Sunday, no one was in the salon. It wasn’t until 10 minutes after the appointment time someone came in and set things up. When I sat down she asked me what I wanted, to which she advised me there was no one available to do acrylic nails. I asked when someone would be available and she told me there wasn’t any availability but she would do her best to look into it. around 7pm, room service called up to let me know that they did their best to bring someone in to do the acrylic nails but no one would be available before the wedding. I was extremely disappointed but settled for a regular manicure. The appointment was for Monday at 11am. The manicure was $30 and it was not worth it. Although this worker was kind (and on time), I later realized the nail polish coat was uneven throughout all of my nails.

Room - 4/5 - there are 3 buildings with different room categories, our building was number 3. it was very clean, with a great location - right next to the food buffet and pool. we had room service twice a day. The beds are firm which was nice for us, but the pillows were awful. I had horrible neck pain after every sleep. There is another resort directly beside this resort, and they must have a club of some sort setup next to building 3 because we heard music blasting almost every night. Thankfully it did quiet down before 9.

Excursions -
Jewel Dunn’s River - $120 for two - 4/5 - we stopped at a botanical garden first which was beautiful. We saw some different birds and took a picture with a parrot. The Dunn’s River falls is a climb up the waterfall and rocks. They do have an early exit half way up.
Luminous Lagoon - $112 for two - 1/5 - this excursion is promised with a limbo party. It took 2 hours from the resort to the lagoon. It was a 35 minute boat ride in the lagoon and it included a complimentary glass of rum punch. There was no limbo party, a couple other people thought there was some type of dinner or limbo included as well. when we asked the tour guide about it she was unsure what we were talking about...
note that regular cameras and phones do not capture the luminous microorganism light. Photographer is there to take pictures showing the blue glow, but I did not check the cost of those pictures.
Blue Hole - $140 for two - 0/5 - our wedding coordinator recommended this excursion to us. I heard about the beauty of Blue Hole, and the wedding coordinator suggested a seafood lunch to follow, so we agreed. She said she would handle things for us and Nothing more was mentioned so I assumed this would be charged to our room like the previous excursions and other activities had been. The day before the excursion, we confirmed with her that everything was good to go. The taxi ride to the excursion location was about 30 minutes from the resort. Once we arrived at Blue Hole, our taxi driver asked for the cash so he could pay for the excursion. We didn’t bring very much cash with us or any credit cards as we thought this was already charged to the room, nor were we properly prepared (water shoes) because we were not informed we would be needing that. I was wearing flip flops which were completely out of the question to go to the blue hole. We thought this was a swimming/relaxing type of excursion, but apparently this included a climb up a water fall like Dunn’s River tour. The taxi driver suggested we could rent water shoes but we had them already back at the resort. Out of frustration we asked to be brought back to the resort and no longer wished to do the excursion. we were charged $100 for the taxi ride. The driver claimed the excursion and lunch would have only been $40 for the two of us... since it was a private taxi the resort couldn’t do much to help us with that one. We felt extremely ripped off, and we were extremely disappointed that we were not properly informed of all such details prior to leaving.

Wedding on Monday @ 3pm
Wedding - 3/5 - I have to start by saying I was so full of anxiety about the wedding at this resort. We almost cancelled the entire trip because we had so little hope that this was going to go over well. I started by having a travel agent that I met at a wedding show book this trip. Maybe that is where the problems started. She booked the trip for us making sure that we chose a resort with a good wedding package. We upgraded our room at this resort so we qualified for the free $600 value wedding. From the day we booked the trip leading up to the day we had the wedding we spoke to so so so many different people that details were getting mixed up, we were confused what was going on, the resort staff had different details than what we had said previously, there was a big gap as to what was on the website vs. What the staff were offering us or asking about, and we didn’t know who we were dealing with when it came to questions we had. We must have spoken to a total of about 7 people. Some were “stateside” and some were from the resort. It was confusing that there were names for certain things, like wedding locations on the website, but the staff would say a completely different name.

About two months before the wedding, I was becoming so frustrated working with all of these different staff and repeating myself endlessly. Unfortunately we would have lost quite a bit of money from the deposit and therefore decided to go through with it.
A week before the wedding, one of our wedding coordinators was asking us questions we had answered several times throughout the last few months and had a completely different wedding category selected for us. When we advised her we had the free wedding promotion she was unsure that we qualified for it because it didn’t show things were booked using that promotion. After several emails back and forth, there was nothing more that we could do except wait until we arrived at the resort.
We met with the coordinator on day 2 of our trip, after talking with her I did feel a bit better, most things were finally sorting themselves out, but there was never a very clear picture as to how the ceremony was going to be. Regardless, I did my best not to stress about it because that was the point of getting married at this resort. We were on the same page about most details and we even ended up upgrading our wedding arch with tulle due to no other decorations being included - this cost $120, it was literally one piece of tulle wrapped around the arch. We also had to pay cash for this, which wasn’t clear to us until the day of the wedding - an hour before the ceremony.
The ceremony was lovely, We chose to have it on the boardwalk. The walk from building 3 to the boardwalk arch was across the common area so our wedding had a huge audience. Neither good nor bad for us, but beware if you are expecting something for just the two of you, it is not extremely private at that location. People on the resort cheered and clapped for us, it was a kind gesture and we had tons of congratulations throughout the following few days. The staff involved in helping with the wedding ceremony were polite, but they carried a group conversation to the side of our wedding area throughout the end of the ceremony and during the following cake cutting ceremony, it would have been appreciated if they just had their conversation somewhere else, while we were enjoying our wedding.
There were charges of around $300 before the trip, specifically for the wedding, that were not made very clear to us, we were informed that it had something to do with the marriage certificate. We were also given a surprise email one month before the wedding that told us we had one week to get our birth certificates notarized and sent back to the resort or the wedding ceremony would not be legal. We would have appreciated more time. We did manage to get these documents in, and when we confirmed with the coordinator if things looked good, we didn’t hear much back.
After the wedding ceremony we were given a wedding registration form, and we did not know what to do next. I feel like this is something that the wedding coordinator should have taken the time to explain better. After receiving the wedding registration form you must go to the Jamaican government website to request a marriage license, this cost an additional $100 and will be mailed out in 4-6 weeks. This has to be applied for within 3 months I believe. This part I am learning as I go, because no one else has informed me what to do from here.
The resort advertised complimentary “late checkout” as part of the wedding package but when we called about it they said there was no availability, and wouldn’t let us stay for even an additional 30 minutes.
Photos - 3/5 - there is a photographer included in the package. In our package, we got one (1) 5x7 print out included and any other WEDDING PICTURE print out is $20 per picture. They had other packages if you wanted to buy a bunch of the pictures but these ranged anywhere from $250-$600 or so. If this photographer takes a REGULAR PICTURE of you at the resort, it cost $11 to get a 5x7 print out. I do not like the idea of two different price points for the exact same item.

Overall I am happy about the wedding ceremony itself, we wanted something super simple and we did get exactly that, but I would not want to recommend someone to go through the endless stress and frustrations that we did.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank migessa
Velona W, Admin Asst. at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Dear Guest:
Thank you for choosing our resort for your wedding and for sharing your valuable feedback.

We are happy that overall you were satisfied with the wedding ceremony but would like to offer our sincere apologies for any aspect of your visit that fell below your expectations.

We appreciate also your commendations and have noted your concerns which we will address with our team in an effort to prevent any future reoccurrence.

Your patronage was truly appreciated, and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a really quiet relaxing holiday this may not be the place for you. The hotel and grounds are quite small so it’s almost impossible to get away from the noise of the daily entertainment routines or beer drinkers who stay in the pool all day holding their large beer mugs.
The beach is quite small so walking it daily isn’t much of a challenge and as it’s fenced off you really are confined to barracks unless you get a taxi to pick you up and take you somewhere. The beach is really nice despite being small and if you like piece and quiet you can find a quiet spot at either end of the beach.
Our room was a great size with a small walk in wardrobe, Bath, huge bed, and balcony.
The style is colonial and kind of suits the hotel. Although I do agree with some of the other reviews it does need some TLC.
Toiletries Provided are shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and soap. There’s also a magnifying mirror in the bathroom.

Beach towels are provided and were always available from early am to late pm

The WiFi is really slow wherever you go. We’d Paid for photos from a trip and had to request an extension on the download because the WiFi was too slow to view them.

The food options were good with plenty of variety.
My only negative about the dining experience was the jade samurai. Food was really good and cooked Infront of you but we were rushed in and out in just over an hour, which spoilt it.

I have a message to all those people who think tipping people gives you an excuse to treat the staff like dirt. It doesn’t and it actually makes you look really stupid and ignorant.
We witnessed people joining the bar slamming down their 1 dollar bill and shouting over everyone else queuing ‘red stripe’ like that would get the staff jumping to attention.
The tipping thing drives me insane on holiday, when you’ve already paid a lot of money to get away However The staff work really hard and actually if you take the time to get to know them a little bit they aren’t all just after a quick buck. We tip but not on every occasion and yet we felt the staff were genuinely interested in talking to us.

The entertainment here isn’t great. It felt very immature at times and to be honest we had tea late most nights in order to avoid the cheesy entertainment from kids. Hermit crab racing and karaoke is not my idea of high end entertainment.

I would also like to mention the wire fence on the right hand side of the beach which separates the locals from the hotel guests.
I can understand that some guests don’t like to be pestered when they are bathing but having a wire fence and the locals hanging off it whistling is not a good look and just segregated people in a very obvious way which I personally disprove of. We’ve stayed at other hotels in Jamaica where the locals can walk on the beach but security observed and got rid of anyway who over stepped the mark. For me it’s part of the experience and in the past the beach sellers were like family friends by the time we left.
So I would recommend to the hotel management.. decide what you want. Either a build a better wall which stops the locals hanging off it, or knock it down and encourage the area around the beach to thrive.

The location of the hotel is great and there are so many trips you can do from this hotel. this is what made our holiday.

I probably won’t return to this hotel as it was too loud for me and I’ve been to better resorts for the same money.
We had a wonderful holiday and made the best of it despite the cons.

1  Thank naughtybutnic
Velona W, Administrative Assistant at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear Guests:
Thank you very much for choosing our resort and for sharing your valuable feedback. We thank you for your commendations and will convey same to the team. As well, your concerns have been duly noted, and we offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused you as a result.

We truly appreciate your patronage and hope that you will, someday, give us another opportunity to be of service.