All reviews pender harbour fire pit long weekend sunshine coast enjoy nature heated pool camping spots covered deck spent nights min drive full kitchen enjoyed our stay madeira park beautiful spot harbour resort jeff yurt
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

My family visits the Pender Harbour area every year for it’s peaceful, relaxed pace. This year we tried out The Pender Harbour Resort for the first time and were disappointed to find it was none of these things. A majority of the RV pads are rented annually so the same people come up year after year and they have quite elaborate setups. If you are one of those people, this place would be amazing. It would be a constant party. But if you’re not, like we weren’t, then this place might be a bit louder than you would expect. We were in the brand new cabin 15 and the cabin itself was lovely but our neighbours were having a fire quite late with about 15 people right outside of our bedroom window. I can mostly overlook that because they were having fun and I’m assuming they don’t do it every night. Then I was awoken that night at 2:45am because the smoke detector in our cabin started chirping. Constantly. I assume it was chirping because the batteries in it were dying but it was on a vaulted ceiling so I couldn’t reach it to turn it off. The chirping lasted for at least 2 hours. I called the after hours number twice during that time to get someone to take care of it but no one answered and I didn’t get a call back. So I put a pillow over my ears and hoped that it didn’t wake my kids up as well. Fast forward to checking out the next day. I told the owner about the smoke detector issue and he responded with ‘yeah, I heard you had some issues. Sorry about that.’ He explained why his after hours contact wasn’t available but it was all a pretty condescending apology and explanation. So overall, I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone new. They have their regulars and don’t appear to want or need any new business.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2018

We stayed in cabin 15. This is one of the newer cabins. with two bed rooms and two pull out coaches. The cabin was specious and didn't feel crowed. With all bed in use. 4 adults and two kids.

Enjoy the pool for multiple swims and the rental boats are great. Friendly staff and a help full owner.

We are defiantly coming back.

Room Tip: Cabin 16 is right on the harbour with a great view. Cabin 15 have more shade in the afternoon
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Christiaan P
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Pros:

We stayed in cabin/cottage 6. The location of it is fantastic, right on the marina. You feel like you are in your own private waterside cabin. The balcony literally overhangs the water.

The interior was completely recently redecorated, with new flooring, cabinets, appliances, bathroom fixtures, and furniture. Our bed was comfortable, with a duvet and true duvet cover, not those "triple sheet" arrangements that always come unwrapped in the middle of the night. We slept very soundly.

Cons:

On the other hand, we suffered a bit with the heat, as there is no air conditioning, and no fan was left in the unit. As reviewers have said below, the staffing of the office is spotty, only a few hours a day and you otherwise have to try to get a hold of the owner by phone. Apparently our sweltering condition wasn't considered an emergency, and the owner declined to bring us a fan until morning. The fan, when eventually delivered, actually had bird poop, spider webs, and dust on it. You know, maybe give it a quick wipe? It was also more of a desk-top fan, which was too small to move the air of our entire cabin.

The doors had evidently been refinished as part of the refresh, with a marine grade varnish, possibly? That made sense for the exterior of the door, but not the interior. The varnish was still off-gassing, and with the heat the interior got pretty stuffy. Because of the smell and the heat, we ended up spending our evenings on the balcony, fending off the mosquitoes.

Also, there is no microwave, which we found very disruptive. With just the two of us, busy doing tourist stuff, it would have been nice to have the option to quickly microwave a frozen meal or a can of soup, but that was not possible, and food had to be cooked on the stovetop or the BBQ. To heat-up leftovers, I had to use the oven.

Overall:

It's more of a vacation rental than a resort. You get your key and you are mostly on your own, and aside from a small pool and kayak rental there aren't really any amenities.

If I had brought a fan and a microwave, I would have 100% enjoyed our stay. But that's a bit weird, right?

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

I don’t think city dwellers understand that this place is in the middle of nowhere. If you came here to expect high speed internet and every day room service, perhaps you would enjoy visiting Trump tower in New York instead. Just settle down and take your first world problems somewhere else.

When you come here, expect to get unwound, to distress, and to enjoy nature. The things that are important is right at your finger tips. Plenty of fire wood, pretty decent wifi, excellent access to the water and dock, plenty of wild life (there was literally a fawn at our door step this morning) and very reasonable customer service (true, no one is at the front desk but hey, he is busy doing stuff! Besides, his number is posted on the office door. Just call and he will show up).

The place is compact. So if I may, I would call it a “pocket resort”. There is an outdoor pool, communal fire pit, cabins, yurts, tenting, and RV parking but it’s all very tightly packed together due to space limitations. Hence “pocket resort”. It works well for staying over for whatever reason.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We loved everything about this place. Very clean and nice set up with an organized kitchen and sitting area. A nice deep bath(slow water pressure but whats the rush), many nearby amenities as well. Would love to come back in the near future..

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple