“Black Spoon Bistro”
Review of black spoon bistro

black spoon bistro
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in North Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This has a variety of food and we ate there once while in town. The food is good and the service great.
Reviewed 26 August 2016

Beside the ferry terminal in North Sydney we lucked into a table at The Black Spoon. A short wait spend chatting with other travellers and we were seated and very quickly served. Wait staff was very friendly and efficient--tables are turned quickly so do not hesitate to be put on their list. On a Thursday evening the small restaurant was full and although service was quick, we did not feel rushed or unwelcome. The special was Jambalaya and it was just delicious with lots of meat and shrimp. Great portion. Local beer is available (bottled--Cape Breton Brewery). This small bistro deserves to be lauded.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Small and very busy with average décor but excellent food and accommodating friendly service. My partner has food sensitivities and the wait staff and kitchen were very accommodating. Seafood was delicious!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Our party of six enjoyed the Black Spoon Bistro Thursday August 18 for dinner. We did not have a reservation. There were a fair number lined up outside waiting to get in - the interior was full. The staff took our name and mobile number and indicated it would be about 30 minutes for a table. Roughly 30 minutes later we were seated. The waiter was superb. Very accommodating to one of the youth in our party who is beyond fussy - the waiter offered use of the lunch menu and our fussy eater was happy. I had the Mango Habanero Spicy Salmon Bowl - it was amazing! The bed of rice was superb, the grilled veggies were great. I was not sure where the habanero came in as I grow those peppers and there was nothing that hot in the dish. My spouse had pecan encrusted chicken with garlic mashed potatoes - I was able to sample it and it was awesome. We saw the ribs go by to another table - I was so hoping someone at our table would order them so I could try them. If they did their amazing menu as a Dim Sum sampler it would be a winner. I had the crab filled mushrooms which were wonderful. For dessert I thoroughly enjoyed a banana cheese cake which I hoped would never end. The other five adult diners were very pleased as was the fussy eater. The menu is very creative, portions are generous and the quality is top notch - and so was the service as mentioned above. My main regret is that this restaurant is 500 kms from my home and I cannot attend more often! The decor is simple and pleasant. It was obviously in demand as new patrons kept it full through the evening.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Had one of the best seafood chowders
They offer excellent high end dishes as well
We did not try them this time but will surely give them a go next time
Be sure to get there early

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Been to the Black Spoon several times. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is relaxing and very clean. The staff are amazing and the owner Mike Black is so friendly and often mingles with the guests. There is usually a line up since the food speaks for itself. Love this place.

Date of visit: July 2016