See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Although the price was great, it was not worth it. The rooms smelled of stale cigarettes and were in dire need of new bedding. The beds stunk of old smoke and the bathroom towels were extremely smelly. Complained to management and they denied that there was smoking in the hotel. Do not stay here!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2017

I hate to say it but first impressions, not so good. The office had a funky smell and it's cluttered interior did not inspire good thoughts. That being said, our room wasn't that bad. It was clean, the bed was comfy even if the décor was slightly outdated and you could see wear and tear in certain areas such as in the bathroom. Value for money, maybe a bit overpriced, but it was definitely cheaper than booking in Canmore.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We had a room with 2 queen beds. It's room was clean enough. It was dimly lit and needed more lighting. It was dingy and dated. The room needed new drapes (they were very dated and you could not open them). I am glad that we needed a room for ONLY one night.

The room was VERY pricey for what you got. We had higher expectations given the price. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Note to hotel staff: the fridge in the room (21 or 22) froze everything that we put in it.

Room tip: Go somewhere else
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I stayed at this motel to try and save money over paying the higher rates elsewhere in Canmore and in Banff. I will never stay here again. They charged me to hold the room on my card and I still have not received the refund for that as yet. The hallways and room had a very unpleasant odor. There was no one at the counter when I arrived and had to make myself heard. The 'free WIFI' was hopeless and would keep crashing. If you are needing to stay in the Banff/Canmore region, make Big Horn Motel your last choice and do not expect anything worthwhile for the money you pay.

Room tip: Look elsewhere.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2017

This was the last hotel my husband and I stayed at after a seven-week trip across Canada and it was memorable for being so awful and for the owner being so indifferent, uncaring and possessing no pride in his business. His attitude was "take it or leave it" and unfortunately we had to take it, and the high price charged, because there was nothing close by available and we were tired.

The unit came with a kitchenette and we were happy not to have need to use it. The two-burner stovetop had missing dials and missing elements making it unusable. There was a posted sign stating there would be a monetary charge for dishes if they were not washed. This was easy to comply with as there were no dishes, soap nor cloths provided for this task.

The bathroom fixture was composed of six brackets for lightbulbs. Of this, three lightbulbs were missing and the other three contained three different types of bulbs of varying sizes.

The room and atmosphere were tired and grubby. Dead Man's Flats is perhaps a good name for someone who had his demise in such a sad and unhappy place. I would not recommend this to anyone unless they are a masochist.

I just want to say that I cannot remember giving a bad review before and I have lauded many great places that we have encountered on our many trips and there are so many stand out places that are wonderful. This place, unfortunately, left me with a bad taste!

Room tip: Go choose a hotel somewhere else if you can.
Date of stay: July 2017