“Loved the beef soft taco”

Mexican Specialties
Ranked #743 of 4,358 Restaurants in Auckland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Authentic Mexican food and grocery retail - tucked away in a little quiet street in Ellerslie, Auckland. Mexican food is Lime, Chilli, Avocado, Coriander and Family. This is us.
Reviewed 15 October 2015

My friend eats here on a regular basis and swears by the beef soft taco. When we turned up it was quite busy so we decided to sit outside (despite the wind). The tacos didn't take long to arrive and when they did they were delicious. There was a nice mix of avocado, tomato and coriander and the beef was perfectly cooked. My friend also ordered me a mexican hot chocolate - bit toooo spicy for me.

Reviewed 2 September 2015 via mobile

This place always has the nicest Mexican food and products. the staff are generous and friendly and it always seems to bring in a crowed. the food menu is substantial without having too much on it, but the food comes out quickly and always tastes amazing. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

My 9 year old daughter and I popped in for a quick lunch. The beef taco was delicious. Got a big thumbs up for the chicken and cheese quesadilla from the little one too. Great spot friendly service.

1  Thank Chapstar
Reviewed 30 June 2015 via mobile

I almost hate to review this spot as it is a hidden gem and already well frequented by locals, but off the tourist track being well into the suburbs.
It's great.
Lively, family owned and simply styled, small venue. I love the quesidias and beef tacos. Lime or hibiscus drinks are yummy.
Call to check on opening and wait times if you are not prepared to be disappointed. The first time we went to was closed (we didn't check first) and the second time they had temporarily closed the kitchen until they filled orders. We just browsed through the book store next door and their shop until the kitchen opened again. It was worth the wait.
Service is friendly even when they are rushed but don't expect silver service as this is a down to earth lunch cafe not a five star restaurant. :-)

3  Thank naturoll
Reviewed 28 January 2015

3 of us drove here to have lunch.
One should call before visiting.
Although they open Fridays 10am to 3pm & Saturdays from 10am to 3 pm, advisable to call.

Located at 5/92 Marua Road. Ellerslie, Auckland, the outlet is quite non-descript.
One needs to look carefully to spot it.

Understand from an existing customer that this place started of as a grocer for Mexican food supplies to either the Mexican community or others who wanted to prepare Mexican food with authentic ingredients.
Upon customer's requests, they expanded their services to include in-dining

The food is meticulously prepared.
The customers who were seated around us were just so taken by the authenticity of the preparation & ingredients. "Nowehre else but this place, when dining Mexican", they tell us.

The proprietress (I think) was also very accommodating with inquiries, as we were not that familiar with ingredients used for Mexican food.

We had taco & enchilada & tortillas.
We enjoyed to the last bite.

The decor, as I understood it, was original & Mexican.
In October, the figurines, drawings, etc was representative of the ceremony "Day of The Dead".
So although the theme was somewhat macabre, it did not in any way affect our dining experience.
In fact, it took our minds off the waiting.
I should add though that the "waiting" is not a bad thing.
We "wait" because the food is great.
The folks at Mexican Specialities are passionate about it & take time, effort to prepare the food.

I think it is hard to find another outlet that is close to Mexican food as Mexican Specialities.

1  Thank ChrisK366