“Wonderful characterful place, great service. The perfect base.”

Peace and Plenty Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Devonport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful characterful place, great service. The perfect base.”
Reviewed 25 February 2017

Devenport itself is very special. Just a short ferry ride from busy Auckland it has peace and tranquility, character and history and is a great place to base youself from. You will go a long way to find anywhere better than P & P. A historical and quirky building with great and comfortable rooms and wonderful host in Judy. Breakfasts are fantastic and we particularly liked mixing with the other travellers and sharing their adventures. Top notch.
One word of caution. Due to its proximity to the Town you can here the entertainment from the local hosteleries until 11.30 ish. If you are an early sleeper you may be affected.

Green Features: Very committed to all matter ecological.We appreciated their committment to sustainable products.
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed as a couple for a couple of nights at weekend.
Meet and greet fine. Judy the owner went through the hotel room compendium with us to make sure everything was covered off.
Building and room itself was packed with character with most surfaces having stuff like flowers, port, glasses, vases, bottles of creme and so on which I guess some would label clutter and struggle with but we coped with fine.
Joe the puppy made his presence felt to start off with but soon got his marching orders and didn't present an issue.
Breakfast was yummy and served on a long table shared with other guests. This took me out of my comfort zone to start with but we soon got talking and began to relax.
Devonport itself is cute by Auckland standards and prices reflect that. My guess is that this hotel is mid priced for the area but does offer an olde-worlde charm beyond what will be found elsewhere in the area.
The area itself is quiet so a good night's sleep should be available. The building is authentic so floors can creak when people upstairs move about. I guess this could bother some but we just found it added to the authenticity and overall experience.
Our shower bathroom was small by some standards but was perfectly adequate - I am over 6 foot tall so if I can fit so should most. I'm not sure what people who grumble about this are doing in their bathroom - a highland fling perhaps.

Stayed February 2017, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 13 February 2017

What a charming well-maintained heritage in the lovely genteel Devonport area near the seaside! We're welcomed by the hostess Judy and her doggies who greeted my boys to laughters. We're also surprised in awe in the historical deco and beddings which looked much more beautiful than in pictures. The port and shelly wine in each room was definitely a great delight to add! One of our rooms was upgraded free of charge upon another traveller's cancellation. The breakfast was also impeccable, very homecoming.

Judy -- thank you so much for finding out my USB charger!

Hope my family can come back very soon and stay here again!

Wish you good health and happiness!

Green Features: Oh I love the well chosen herbal shampoo and conditioner!!
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

This B&B was my first hotel on my trip. I felt immediately wellcomed. The lady who is running the hotel is such a sweetheart. She brings the life to the hotel.
The rooms are all in victorian style,you feel like 100 years ago. But all the comfort is 21.century. The bed was very comfy, the rooms are all clean and you'll have enough space. In the first room, I had a little balcony, that was perfect to watch the sunrise in the morning. In the second room (I needed to change room,but that was never a problem), I had a bathtube. All the bathrooms are equipped with shampoo,conditioner,hand wash and body wash and also a body lotion. Not just cheap ones,but very good ones.
The breakfast ist from 8 till 9,you will sit on a long table,or small ones. I sat on the long table,so I had conversations with people from all over the world. You'll get a range of cereals,fresh fruit,yoghurt,bacon,eggs,waffles...everything you like. Cooked by the lovely owner.

I loved to stay there and hope to get back!

Stayed January 2017, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2017

We made our booking 10 months earlier in February for our one night here. At that time it was possible to book any room so I picked Victoria ($385NZ) because it was upstairs and I liked the photo showing its light "colour scheme of primrose and cream" and that it had a "Private balcony with unhindered views of views of Mt Victoria and the Waitemata". However we were put in the ground floor Windsor room which was dark and did not have a balcony. The owner at first insisted that Windsor was our room, but I showed our confirmation from her. She seemed confused and told us that she had already allocated our room Victoria another person. We didn't want to unsettle the owner so we had to accept the wrong room. We didn't like the dark wall paper and furnishings or the fact we had no balcony in the Windsor room. We felt trapped in our room. There was no welcoming spacious area outside our dark room.

It appears that this B & B has seen better days with signs of wear and tear & is in need of maintenance. The breakfast room had some unfashionable, dated 1960's far too large chairs for breakfast. We could have overlooked the cheap toiletries, faded grubby tissue box holder, broken toilet seat, porch lights shining through all night via the front window into our bedroom and hearing guests outside our room, being woken up at 5.45am by other guests going out for a walk, if the owner was pleasant.

We don't eat or drink anything that is in open containers used by other people, such as the sherry & port in the room or the jam bowl at breakfast. These basic health regulations and laws changed some time ago to prevent contamination and health risks. That is why individual portions are served in which case the remainder is disposed of after the meal or sealed individual servings as seen in cafes for sugar etc. are the norm.

Apart from the rubbish of telling us twice we got a free upgrade, (both rooms listed the same price $385NZ on the Internet), the last straw when we were leaving was the owner tersely asking me what was wrong with the bacon. I was puzzled and she continued... " you didn't eat it all!" So I politely replied I only felt like one piece, I could not eat two pieces. My husband and I were shocked. It was as if I was in boarding school in the old days! I didn't want to upset an older lady so I didn't have the heart to say the breakfast was ordinary. I am sure she did her best with it but we couldn't wait to leave.
Makes me wonder about some of the positive reviews from people who have travelled very little on Tripadvisor. It's so much easier not to bother writing about a disappointing experience.
Sorry but the whole experience was not what we expected especially at this price. . Just didn't feel any warmth or welcome unlike everywhere else in New Zealand. But then this lady is not a New Zealander. I fully expect that my review will have an aggressive response from this lady in keeping with her other responses to negative comments and her manner to us.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
7 Thank annagram09
judydevonport, Owner at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this review, 27 January 2017
It was disconcerting to read your review when we discovered that you hadn't had a great experience staying with us. Also that you would assume you would receive an aggressive response. Why, we ask ourselves?

We have consistently received the 5 star Qualmark rating every year since 2003, for "guest and hosted" and "sustainability", so we are confident that our hotel measures up to their high standard. The entire hotel was redecorated in January last year and the Windsor room bathroom refurbished so we can't really understand the title of your review.

We regard the Windsor Room as our best room in the hotel and the new burgundy wallpaper was specially chosen to create the right ambience for an 1880 villa. Although it doesn't have direct access to a verandah, as you say, the wide wrap-around balcony which affords the best views of the garden and sea is positioned just outside the Windsor room - making it private for guests staying in that room.

On our website we do say "Please note that while every endeavour is made to give you the room you have requested we reserve the right to be able to change your room. If you wish to make a special request please contact us directly". We re-allocated the rooms that night to accommodate a family so they could have adjoining rooms and so we upgraded you to the best room in the house thinking you would be very pleased.

We appreciate that everyone has differing tastes and ideas of style. We personally love our sunny dining room with its antique furniture, silver tea service and spode china.

We can't address all your issues as its clear that you have only sought to see the negative. For example having to much bacon for breakfast should be a bonus rather than a negative one would think....We use "Linden Leaves" toiletries in the hotel, a New Zealand company that produce high end products.

At "The Peace and Plenty Inn" we do our utmost to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay - over 20 years in business is testament to this. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us but we do feel that your review is misleading and not really accurate. To many "alternative facts" which we hope we have addressed in this response.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
0.2 km away
3.0 km away
Hilton Auckland
Hilton Auckland
#6 of 67 in Auckland

Been to Peace and Plenty Inn? Share your experiences!