“charming, helpful, so refreshing...”

Peace and Plenty Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Devonport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 February 2017

What a charming well-maintained heritage in the lovely genteel Devonport area near the seaside! We're welcomed by the hostess Judy and her doggies who greeted my boys to laughters. We're also surprised in awe in the historical deco and beddings which looked much more beautiful than in pictures. The port and shelly wine in each room was definitely a great delight to add! One of our rooms was upgraded free of charge upon another traveller's cancellation. The breakfast was also impeccable, very homecoming.

Judy -- thank you so much for finding out my USB charger!

Hope my family can come back very soon and stay here again!

Wish you good health and happiness!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Peace and Plenty Inn

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

This B&B was my first hotel on my trip. I felt immediately wellcomed. The lady who is running the hotel is such a sweetheart. She brings the life to the hotel.
The rooms are all in victorian style,you feel like 100 years ago. But all the comfort is 21.century. The bed was very comfy, the rooms are all clean and you'll have enough space. In the first room, I had a little balcony, that was perfect to watch the sunrise in the morning. In the second room (I needed to change room,but that was never a problem), I had a bathtube. All the bathrooms are equipped with shampoo,conditioner,hand wash and body wash and also a body lotion. Not just cheap ones,but very good ones.
The breakfast ist from 8 till 9,you will sit on a long table,or small ones. I sat on the long table,so I had conversations with people from all over the world. You'll get a range of cereals,fresh fruit,yoghurt,bacon,eggs,waffles...everything you like. Cooked by the lovely owner.

I loved to stay there and hope to get back!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2017

We made our booking 10 months earlier in February for our one night here. At that time it was possible to book any room so I picked Victoria ($385NZ) because it was upstairs and I liked the photo showing its light "colour scheme of primrose and cream" and that it had a "Private balcony with unhindered views of views of Mt Victoria and the Waitemata". However we were put in the ground floor Windsor room which was dark and did not have a balcony. The owner at first insisted that Windsor was our room, but I showed our confirmation from her. She seemed confused and told us that she had already allocated our room Victoria another person. We didn't want to unsettle the owner so we had to accept the wrong room. We didn't like the dark wall paper and furnishings or the fact we had no balcony in the Windsor room. We felt trapped in our room. There was no welcoming spacious area outside our dark room.

It appears that this B & B has seen better days with signs of wear and tear & is in need of maintenance. The breakfast room had some unfashionable, dated 1960's far too large chairs for breakfast. We could have overlooked the cheap toiletries, faded grubby tissue box holder, broken toilet seat, porch lights shining through all night via the front window into our bedroom and hearing guests outside our room, being woken up at 5.45am by other guests going out for a walk, if the owner was pleasant.

We don't eat or drink anything that is in open containers used by other people, such as the sherry & port in the room or the jam bowl at breakfast. These basic health regulations and laws changed some time ago to prevent contamination and health risks. That is why individual portions are served in which case the remainder is disposed of after the meal or sealed individual servings as seen in cafes for sugar etc. are the norm.

Apart from the rubbish of telling us twice we got a free upgrade, (both rooms listed the same price $385NZ on the Internet), the last straw when we were leaving was the owner tersely asking me what was wrong with the bacon. I was puzzled and she continued... " you didn't eat it all!" So I politely replied I only felt like one piece, I could not eat two pieces. My husband and I were shocked. It was as if I was in boarding school in the old days! I didn't want to upset an older lady so I didn't have the heart to say the breakfast was ordinary. I am sure she did her best with it but we couldn't wait to leave.
Makes me wonder about some of the positive reviews from people who have travelled very little on Tripadvisor. It's so much easier not to bother writing about a disappointing experience.
Sorry but the whole experience was not what we expected especially at this price. . Just didn't feel any warmth or welcome unlike everywhere else in New Zealand. But then this lady is not a New Zealander. I fully expect that my review will have an aggressive response from this lady in keeping with her other responses to negative comments and her manner to us.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank annagram09
judydevonport, Owner at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

It was disconcerting to read your review when we discovered that you hadn't had a great experience staying with us. Also that you would assume you would receive an aggressive response. Why, we ask ourselves?

We have consistently received the 5 star Qualmark rating every year since 2003, for "guest and hosted" and "sustainability", so we are confident that our hotel measures up to their high standard. The entire hotel was redecorated in January last year and the Windsor room bathroom refurbished so we can't really understand the title of your review.

We regard the Windsor Room as our best room in the hotel and the new burgundy wallpaper was specially chosen to create the right ambience for an 1880 villa. Although it doesn't have direct access to a verandah, as you say, the wide wrap-around balcony which affords the best views of the garden and sea is positioned just outside the Windsor room - making it private for guests staying in that room.

On our website we do say "Please note that while every endeavour is made to give you the room you have requested we reserve the right to be able to change your room. If you wish to make a special request please contact us directly". We re-allocated the rooms that night to accommodate a family so they could have adjoining rooms and so we upgraded you to the best room in the house thinking you would be very pleased.

We appreciate that everyone has differing tastes and ideas of style. We personally love our sunny dining room with its antique furniture, silver tea service and spode china.

We can't address all your issues as its clear that you have only sought to see the negative. For example having to much bacon for breakfast should be a bonus rather than a negative one would think....We use "Linden Leaves" toiletries in the hotel, a New Zealand company that produce high end products.

At "The Peace and Plenty Inn" we do our utmost to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay - over 20 years in business is testament to this. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us but we do feel that your review is misleading and not really accurate. To many "alternative facts" which we hope we have addressed in this response.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

This place couldn't be more convenient being only about 50m from the beach and the main shopping street in Devonport where there a many eating choices. The rooms are all comfortable although a little cluttered and old-fashioned for my taste. Judy is an excellent host who cooks a great breakfast to start the day. Expect a comfortable bed, a quiet room and a bathroom with every amenity. However, at least one room has a bathroom with a cupboard sized bathroom although it has an excellent view. Grate place for one or two nights.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
judydevonport, Manager at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Thank you for your review. How lovely to call me an excellent host.

We have an en-suite in every room but 2 rooms we do advertise have small compact bathrooms to fit the 1880 villa styled architecture and are priced accordingly.

Reviewed 15 December 2016 via mobile

We spent sadly only one night after a long flight. We were welcomed by Judith with a great smile. Each room has an individual decorating British style. Very neat, clean and cute. And above all , silence enabling you to rest! The garden is an absolute highlight for those who can recognize the different types of plants and the breakfast reminded us of our youth with mum/grandma preparing scrambled eggs in the kitchen and the smell of nice bacon and waffles in the air. Everything homemade and also very eco friendly with very healthy shower and shampoo products for the guests. It definitely exceeded our expectations and would love to come back again soon!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

We would be delighted to have you back and thrilled to hear you appeciated the efforts we have put into creating the hotel. It is the middle of summer now and the garden is looking its very best. Thank you for your comments regarding our sustanability efforts too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
0.2 km away
SKYCITY Grand Hotel
#4 of 66 in Auckland Central
2.7 km away
Adina Apartment Hotel Auckland, Britomart
Adina Apartment Hotel Auckland, ...
#5 of 66 in Auckland Central

Been to Peace and Plenty Inn? Share your experiences!