“Quiet, comfortable and convenient”

Peace and Plenty Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Devonport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

This place couldn't be more convenient being only about 50m from the beach and the main shopping street in Devonport where there a many eating choices. The rooms are all comfortable although a little cluttered and old-fashioned for my taste. Judy is an excellent host who cooks a great breakfast to start the day. Expect a comfortable bed, a quiet room and a bathroom with every amenity. However, at least one room has a bathroom with a cupboard sized bathroom although it has an excellent view. Grate place for one or two nights.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
judydevonport, Manager at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Thank you for your review. How lovely to call me an excellent host.

We have an en-suite in every room but 2 rooms we do advertise have small compact bathrooms to fit the 1880 villa styled architecture and are priced accordingly.

Reviewed 15 December 2016 via mobile

We spent sadly only one night after a long flight. We were welcomed by Judith with a great smile. Each room has an individual decorating British style. Very neat, clean and cute. And above all , silence enabling you to rest! The garden is an absolute highlight for those who can recognize the different types of plants and the breakfast reminded us of our youth with mum/grandma preparing scrambled eggs in the kitchen and the smell of nice bacon and waffles in the air. Everything homemade and also very eco friendly with very healthy shower and shampoo products for the guests. It definitely exceeded our expectations and would love to come back again soon!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

We would be delighted to have you back and thrilled to hear you appeciated the efforts we have put into creating the hotel. It is the middle of summer now and the garden is looking its very best. Thank you for your comments regarding our sustanability efforts too.

Reviewed 5 December 2016

This is a nice, comfortable, relaxing little boutique Inn. Nothing to complain about but it wasn't my favorite. It has comfortable rooms (I stayed in the Devenport room). Beautiful large windows overlooking the flower garden, comfortable bed, good internet but very tiny bathroom that clearly used to be a closet that was remade into a bathroom. The room was nice but something about the entire establishment just wasn't warm and inviting. Hard to put my finger on it. The fake but real looking flowers in the room, the used bottle of hand cream, the stale biscuits for in-room tea, the elaborate, beautifully set breakfast table with nice china but rather common, lackluster breakfast...the place looks like it should have a lot of warmth, but in my opinion, it didn't. I think it's perfectly nice and comfortable and I would recommend it for couples. But I wouldn't stay there again. I've traveld all over the world, over 130 countries and I know what I like and don't like. I didn't really like this place. I just didn't feel very welcome there. It felt cold and uninviting. But it's just me. I can't give it 5 stars because of what I just described and what I felt there, but most people probably would. In my opinion it just needs more of a friendly, welcoming staff perhaps and some greater warmth thrown in to match its decor.

Room Tip: Devonport Room is nice but has a VERY small bathroom. Choose another if you like space in the toile...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank Jeffrey A
judydevonport, Owner at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Oh dear Oh Dear, perhaps the other people at the breakfast table were not so friendly towards you as they were still somewhat tired from you banging and ringing to door bell instead of using the door phone and waking half the house up at just gone 5.30a.m. in the morning (even though I was waiting for you to phone through to my room from the front door.)
We advertise that the Devonport Room has a small compact bathroom and price the room accordingly perhaps the company who reserved to room for you did not make this clear or thought because you were a single traveller this would not be a problem. The bathroom was custom built to the room. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 14 November 2016

It was a really amazing stay. After 24 hours of flying I ended up at Auckland and from there directly to Devonport, imagine how much I needed a sleep. I was reading a booklet called The Organic Explorer, written from a friend of mine and in it's pages I met a place (from another era) close to Auckland which would help me gather my strengths and keep up with my journey. Without any second thoughts, I took a bus form the airport and the ferry to Devonport where in my surprise I met Judy, a really friendly person and a very kind one, the owner and the soul of the guesthouse. I was quite dazzled from the very nice restoration of the Victorian villa and also so tired, I enjoyed a bit of the complementary wine and sinked into the very soft bed with the company of the sounds of the birds and some guitar music from the park. The next day started with the best way possible, having my private breakfast (loved those blueberries) at the terrace in the back yard watching the garden and feeling the sun waking me up slowly slowly... Every detail was very taken a very good care of, even the guide book was more than enough informative and very well written.
I felt like being at home so instead of staying there for a day, I actually lost the sense of time and stayed for 4... And before leaving New Zealand I stayed 3 more! I actually felt very welcoming by Judy and after all my experiences in NZ (even if they weren't all great) I wanted to leave with the great feeling and energy I got from that place.
Judy excuse me for spilling a bit of oil at the mattress and remember my advice for your cold feet! Your Greek Friend! (The actual visiting date was January 2015)

Room Tip: Every room has it's own unique taste... You just have to be there and feel it!
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We got bumped from the Esplanade in Devonport due to a "clerical miscommunication" which translated to 'wedding' lol even though we had booked 3 months earlier.....they diverted us to Judy at the Peace and Plenty but on arrival she had no idea we were coming.....out of towners on a long weekend & an All Blacks test on....get the picture? We were spewing. Anyway Judy put her 'cape' on and saved the day. Luckily the Garden Room was available and it was great! Host was excellent, breakfast was superb and location fantastic. It wasnt what we would normally go for and Its not cheap but we enjoyed it. Thanx Judy.

Room Tip: Garden Roon for sure.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
0.2 km away
3.5 km away
CityLife Auckland
CityLife Auckland
#8 of 65 in Auckland Central

Been to Peace and Plenty Inn? Share your experiences!