All reviewsthe pubsheffield parklarge gardenlovely sunday lunchfour poster bedlambbluebell railwaylovely villagescallopssea basskipperscooked to perfectioneast sussexthe ground floorstayed one nightfollowing morningan evening meal
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We stayed here in March with a Wowcher offer of £45.pp per night including breakfast and we could bring our dog which was great. On arrival after looking for someone to check us in we were taken to the Bluebell room, this room is advertised at £90.00 per night. A charming room and by charming I mean tiny it had a 4 poster bed which makes the room feel really small I’m sure if they put a normal bed in there it would not have felt so cramped a dusty cupboard(as I found out) to store your clothes. The bath had a high roll top bath but it took about 20 minutes to partly fill and then you would run out of water. The room was facing the high street but traffic didn’t really start till about 7ish and we are early risers so was not a problem.
The room was very clean and very hot, I turned the radiator off but it stayed on as it’s a very old inn so only a small window to open. We ate in the bar that evening it was very busy, after waiting 30 minutes for starters which had been sitting there for a while as the crostini was soggy, mains again took another 30 minutes but I have to say was the best Fish and Chips I have ever eaten and was worth the trip for this alone, light crispy batter and beautifully cooked fish.
Breakfast on first morning was interesting only one young man for a busy sitting there were a couple of tables of 10. I ordered eggs benedict when my order came he bought 2 boiled eggs so he took those away and so my husband started eating his, after a while my breakfast came out but had to be returned again as the poached eggs were raw inside, breakfast 3 came out and it was not great as the ham was stone cold and hollandaise very vinegary. On checkout we were chased into the car park saying we had not paid our bill, which we had to Wowcher who pass it on to the Inn. It was a nice stay but I don’t think I would return to stay because of the tiny room, but would to eat.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackie n
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We took friends for lunch here on 19th April which was the hottest day of the year. We had drinks in the garden overlooking the stupendous view. Our table had been laid on the patio and we had a fantastic lunch in a glorious location. The service was excellent and we couldn't fault the whole experience. We will definitely return.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank JuliaCarolyn
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had our first date at the Griffin Over 11 years ago so it seemed a great idea to come back for our 10th wedding anniversary. They went above and beyond for us, free drink on arrival, lovely welcome and food that was beyond words. This pub is perfect for a quick drink or a three course meal, the location is perfect too and we recommend anyone passing to drop in.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cshelford1706
Reviewed 9 April 2018

We stayed here for two nights for a wedding on the nearby Bluebell Railway. The pub is excellent if you just want somewhere for a pint or a meal.....great selection of beer, food on the Friday night was fantastic. The room was ancient so a bit quirky but comfortable, and they even provided a cheeseboard when we got back late from the wedding on the Saturday after the kitchen had shut. The exceptional element was the service however....I was best man at the wedding and was struggling to get a cab in the morning (mobile coverage isn't great....). Not only did the barman run me to the venue (a half hour round trip) but one of the kitchen staff ferried my wife half an hour later. I was only hoping for some help getting a cab but they were brilliant and got us out of a real hole.....

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheMortyVicker
Reviewed 23 March 2018

Had a lovely evening meal in the Griffin restaurant and stayed overnight in one of the smallest rooms. Room was tiny but full of character with a sloping floor which was as it was advertised and what you can expect from a very old building, bed was lovely and comfy and room was clean.Only one problem was that it wasn't possible to have a proper shower. There was a handheld shower over the bath but no hook or shower curtain so you would have to sit in the bath to use it. However when turning the running water from the tap to the shower attachment, it only worked half and half....so it merely dribbled out of the shower and carried on coming out of the tap so a bath was the only option for this particular room. Breakfast the next morning was good, full English plus cereal buffet. Would definitely eat there again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple