All reviews steak afternoon tea attention to detail garden room scallops four poster bed mini bar groupon voucher cooked to perfection country house following morning the main house great food roll top bath special occasion evening meal lovely grounds
Reviewed 16 August 2018

I have never stayed in a WORSE hotel. I was taken to one of the garden rooms which felt like a shed and I didn't feel safe with the locking system. When I walked across the pink shaggy rug I stood on a screw which went straight into my foot. Perhaps if they cared to hoover the floor this wouldn't have happened. I then went into the bathroom to shut the blind and a huge moth flew out towards my face and hit my leg. I called the reception for someone to come and remove this insect. The manager of the hotel, the only staff I saw on my stay, came with hesitation and then proceeded to say 'where is it? If I can't see it how am I supposed to get rid of it' I insisted it was in the bathroom as I had shut the door. He then saw it, caught it and removed it. He told me he had been called out for all sorts. I then went to get into the bed which felt like an old mattress with a thick duvet even though it was summer. As I pulled the duvet across me a huge black hairy spider ran across me on the bed. I am an arachnophobe so ended up having a panic attack and was quite hysterical. I calmed down and called the reception again, explaining the situation and asking if he could send someone to get rid of the spider or change my room please. He said 'well if it's run away I'm not going to be able to find it am I? It's a spider, it's not going to hurt you. How about if you see it again you put a glass over it?' I was quite shocked, I am phobic and not able to do this, hence me calling the reception again. This is not how I expect to be spoken to by the owner of a hotel who should put the customer first! He refused to change my room as 'house keeping aren't at the hotel at 9pm'. I just had to grin and bear it. In the morning I went to take a shower and the water was freezing cold. I called reception 3 times and no one answered at 7:45am! I then had to walk across to the main hotel and no one was there. I went back to the room and found the fuse switch which was off, no one had explained that this would be the case. I didn't have time to wait for the water to heat up so I had a freezing cold shower. There were multiple spiders on the ceiling and one corner of the shower, more like house spiders which you expect in old country homes but not in a hotel which is supposed to be cleaned daily! I waited a long time for breakfast to be served and when it finally arrived it was cold. The whole place needs to be cleaned and a full re-vamp. I was meant to stay in the hotel for two nights and left after the first. The owner was incredibly rude and should not be running a hotel establishment if he doesn't care for his customers wellbeing. A faulty towers experience minus the laughs.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
7  Thank sarahA5067DK
Reviewed 10 August 2018

As my now Husband has already explained, We visited the hotel as a result of a xmas present back in February and had the most amazing time. We found all the staff very friendly and welcoming. During our stay my husband proposed to me and we both agreed it was the place we would like to get married. we visited the hotel again in July to taste the wedding breakfast and instantly felt at home. Cara and Ben liaised with myself and Bryan on how we would like our wedding to be and I must say they did not disappoint. everyone of our guests has said how lovely the hotel and food is and how friendly all the staff are. Lily you were amazing with the young children as were all the staff making their time at the hotel as enjoyable as ours. My husband and I cant wait to visit again and we have already planned to spend each wedding anniversary at satis house.

Room Tip: all rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
CaraD343, Owner at Satis House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

See you again soon. Thank you for your amazing feedback,

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful weekend at Becky and Bryan’s wedding.
Fabulous venue - our room was lovely with very comfortable beds.
Very clean and had everything we needed.
Cara and Ben did a great job hosting the event and adding personal touches, as well the best food. The staff were lovely especially Lily who did a fab job of looking after everyone.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarolynAH

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in lovely grounds.
We had a garden pod room. It was spacious and comfortable, big bed feather duvet/pillows. Shower no bath.
HOWEVER.
On arrival it took 10 minutes before the manager came to check us in as he was “seeing to his children”. I felt as if we were a bother booking in in the middle of the afternoon when he wanted to be elsewhere. He didn’t offer to help us with our bags so I was left to drag it over the gravel path. The room was as I described, however the air conditioner struggled to put out much cold air as the filter was choked with dust. Additionally there was a lovely thick rug in the floor in which was hiding a large Allen key which I discovered when I trod on it with my bare feet!!
The manager tried to persuade us to have breakfast at 09:00 when we wanted an early start! We compromised on the advertised start of 08:30 although our order wasn’t taken until 08:40.
The hotel has a 5 rating for food hygiene, obviously the toilets were not examined as the gents at 09:15 obviously hadn’t been cleaned for some time and lacked hand towels of any description with the basket being full of used ones
Finally as we left around 09:30, there were full ashtrays and an empty wine bottle outside the front door.
The manager’s general attitude was probably the worst we have encountered, and was not helped by his extremely casual attire.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank jedi11
Cara D, Owner at Satis House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

We do indeed have a beautiful hotel but sadly it is not always occupied by beautiful people.

Our garden pods are normally well received and I can say with confidence that the new air conditioning system in each of them is fantastic. The sensible guest will of course seek assistance if they are unsure on how to operate them but they are very straight forward to use.

We have the hotel manager or a duty manager (or myself) on shift throughout every day and evening however some check ins are more lengthy than others and on this occasion the manager was assisting guests and their two children (not his own) with a room move as the two rooms they had booked were a distance from each other, so we recommended relocated them to two adjoining rooms.

I am very sorry to hear about the Allen key which must have been lost in error when new curtain rails and curtains were put in the pods earlier that day following recent refurbishment of the room.

I am the hotel’s biggest critic and we are learning all the time but I am absolutely confident about the professionalism of my hotel manager who is very well thought of by our guests as many of our reviews suggest and Ben will always insist on carrying customer bags unless they prefer to do so themselves.

We have standardised breakfast times as is usual in hotels but offer flexibility where we can to accommodate individual guests needs (within reason).

The toilets are attended to at least daily and on this occasion had been deep cleaned the night before following a wedding. There are always ample hand towels available without exception.

We are proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating. Indeed these particular guests took advantage of this with an ample 3 course breakfast and dinner the evening before.

We are a smoking free hotel but welcome guests to smoke in our outside areas as they wish. I apologise if on this one someone had used the ashtray that morning following their breakfast as my front of house staff ensure their final task every evening is to replace ashtrays and clear outside tables.

As I have said before you do sometimes see the odd empty champagne bottle in the morning as many of our guests enjoy a champagne breakfast. Infact the morning before this particular stay between them guests enjoyed 7 bottles of fizz during breakfast service but the tap water only drinkers amongst us wouldn’t appreciate that would they?

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Can't thank Ben and cara enough for hosting our sons wedding. Had a fantastic weekend and food was excellent. Loved our room it was clean and bed was really comfortable Thank you so much for putting up with us all!

Room Tip: Had some lovely garden rooms which were ground floor only
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny F

All that matters to us is that you had a fantastic event here as we put out heart and soul into it, as we do with every wedding at Satis. You were all a pleasure.